Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2009, 13:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Strange Electrical Problem on P180

I have a 2005 P180, and doing really good. Over the past couple of weeks, the battery seemed to have conked off. So when I found it a pain to kick start and survive without a horn, I promptly replaced the stock battery with AMCO Yuasa one last week.

Initially it ran pretty well. But now the same problems seem to have resurfaced

1: No electric start
2: Horn doesnt work most of the times
3: Headlight is bright, but indicators are dim
4: Tachometer acts very weird - During riding, the needle is way past 12k rpm levels

Any idea what could be the reason ? Should I go back and replace the battery or does it need a complete electrical check up ?
Old 7th January 2009, 13:55   #2
BHPian

Looks like a dead battery scenario. I had the same tacho problem in my old CBZ, and the culprit was found out to be an almost-dead battery.

I guess its the same scenario in your case as well, and the headlights are bright because they run of the alternator.

Try hooking up another battery which has life left to see if the same problems persist.
Old 7th January 2009, 14:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

check the electrical system, the wires near the tank tend to get cut and short out, draining the battery. also check the socket in the headlight they to have a tendency to short due to heat from the head lamp, and movement when turning.
How old is the new battery? was it charging properly when installed, did the guy check the electric power out at the terminals [voltage and current] when installing the new battery?
Old 7th January 2009, 14:28   #4
BHPian

After how long does the battery get drained?There could be many causes to this.Take your bike to any battery service station.Get the batter water checked.Ask them to check if the alternator is sufficiently charging the battery (they will use a meter kind of a device to check this).If not the alternators the culprit here.ask them to check the cells of the battery.get the Wiring checked .Check that there are no loose ends touching any metal parts.If alls fine then it would be the battery.Since ur battery is in warranty get it replace immediately.
Old 7th January 2009, 15:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

The battery is brand new. Just a week old. Guess some loose circuit. I'll try and get the battery replaced 1st.
Old 7th January 2009, 15:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

It could be the rectifier(or is it RR unit) is gone kaput, basically the unit which is responcible for charging the battery, get that checked.
Old 7th January 2009, 15:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
4: Tachometer acts very weird - During riding, the needle is way past 12k rpm levels
The same thing happened to my p150. Actually worse, every time I honked, the rpm needle would move to a higher rpm reading mark.

Changed the battery to AMCO. Things have been good after that.

In your case I think its the battery, try with another battery.

Last edited by swift8847 : 7th January 2009 at 15:54.
Old 7th January 2009, 16:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift8847 View Post
The same thing happened to my p150. Actually worse, every time I honked, the rpm needle would move to a higher rpm reading mark.

Changed the battery to AMCO. Things have been good after that.

In your case I think its the battery, try with another battery.
Yeah same case with me. When I use the indicator, the needle does disco dance

I have new AMCOs. Let me check with the dealer regarding replacement.
Old 8th January 2009, 11:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
It could be the rectifier(or is it RR unit) is gone kaput, basically the unit which is responcible for charging the battery, get that checked.
Any idea how much the RR unit costs ? I dont think the issue is with the battery.
Old 8th January 2009, 12:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how much the RR unit costs ? I dont think the issue is with the battery.
I had a similar issue with my Pulsar 180 long back. It was an issue of some small rectangular black block (1"x1"x2" - may be the RR unit) which had gone kaput. The battery was not getting charged and the current output was not regulated properly. My tail light and head lights melted. They were initially very bright and then melted down. I then got the unit replaced under warranty. It was costing something like Rs. 650 I think.
Old 8th January 2009, 12:59   #11
BHPian

i am facing a similar problem with my p150. no self start. in my case its the wiring that is to be blamed. could anyone tell me how much the whole wiring kit costs?only the company one please. not the duplicate ones we can find in local shops.they cost around 400. the original one must be more expensive. but i would go for that anyways. someone please help
Old 8th January 2009, 13:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Did you check at the spare parts shop at the authorized service center for price?
Old 8th January 2009, 14:04   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah same case with me. When I use the indicator, the needle does disco dance .
Same issue with my 2003 P150 as well. Changing the battery solved the issue.

Now, my tachometer itself doesnt work. No idea why. Too lazy to even find out. Also, the closest service center to my place are set of morons.
Old 8th January 2009, 14:04   #14
BHPian

not yet sir. i am going to the nearest service station in the evening. last time i had minor problems so completely forgot to ask. it was some 20 days back when i went there for routine servicing.will check today
Old 5th March 2011, 11:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Strange Electrical Problem on P180

This problem has now hit my Pulsar 180 (the first version of 180). I had replaced the battery two years back, but since the bike was hardly used, the battery was not getting charged properly. Today I got the battery charged from a battery service centre and the voltage reading was 11.89. However after connecting this battery, the horn barely makes a whimpering noise. When the indicators are turned on, the tachometer needle dance. I tried connecting a new set of horns but they did not work. I am going to see if I can put in a new battery and see if the probelm goes away. What is a good brand of battery that I can use?

Last edited by pjbiju : 5th March 2011 at 11:57.

Most Viewed