Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2009, 23:59   #1
BHPian

K&N Filter for Suzuki Samurai

Hey Guys!

Please don't spit at me for this topic. But, to give you a heads-up, here is a brief about my Dad's bike:

Initially - Suzuki Samurai, 100cc 2-Stroke, '97 Model
Aug 2007 - Restoration from as sick as a dog to as beautiful as a Beyoncé
Jan 2009 - *** kicking power-plays both as an Executive and a Rogue, on the streets and on the highways

I usually take it on long rides on the ECR from Chennai > Pondichéry and back. And I glide with it, sometimes I cruise with it to my office locations in Chennai.

Despite the years, it has shown some 67 - 75 Kmpl on decent driving (top speeds in the range of 40-60) and some 30 - 35 Kmpl on rough riding (top speed range 70-80).

I have a couple of Qs. for you guys:

1) I would like to pep it up more. I have heard about K&N universal filters. Where can I get one here in Chennai or anywhere in India for my bike's perfect fit?

I have also heard that replacing the stock, will reduce the mileage. Sorry, I am concerned about the mileage but alternatively would like to see how my bike can perform better with such enhancements.

2) Is there anything, a device that can help me gauge the bhp of a bike? any bike...

Thanks Guys!
Old 9th January 2009, 12:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

better buy a good carb..

May be VM 24 or VM 26 if you want i can help you out.

Filters don't help much..

To check bhp you have to take your bike to dyno
Old 9th January 2009, 12:25   #3
BANNED

Please just retain it stock and ensure everything is in top condition. A stock Samurai will hit 85 kph (speedo) as top speed. And it will run at that speed all day. At that speed, you should get at least 35-40 kpl (and I'm talking with extra 2T in the petrol tank).
Old 9th January 2009, 14:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Do not think of filter change man if your not looking at performance , if you chang the filter you'll have to change the jets to match the filter, so rather stick with everything stock or as chirag mentioned get VM24 or VM26 for power.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please just retain it stock and ensure everything is in top condition. A stock Samurai will hit 85 kph (speedo) as top speed. And it will run at that speed all day. At that speed, you should get at least 35-40 kpl (and I'm talking with extra 2T in the petrol tank).
Why extra 2T in the petrol tank?? If the pump is well adjusted, I dont see a need for this?!

Dinar, I'm curious... how would changing the carb help? Is it that the carbs you ahve mentioned give a richer mixture? According to the manual my Shogun has a Mikuni VM 20 SS. Wouldn't substituting it for the above carbs reduce the mileage, if it increases performance?
Old 9th January 2009, 15:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

it doesn't mean fixing bigger (better ) carb will reduce mileage .. it depends how you tune it, what's your ridding style!
Old 9th January 2009, 15:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Why extra 2T in the petrol tank?? If the pump is well adjusted, I dont see a need for this?!

Well Raccoon, when doing high speed rides it is considered a good practice to add extra 2T oil in the petrol tank to give the engine more/better lubrication. Trust me on 2Stroke bikes the difference can be noted very easily.

@benvsben i wouldn't suggest you to go for K&N filters on 2ST bikes..as they do not help much. If you are looking out for extra power you could think about porting, jetting or adding a power chamber but having said that i wouldn't suggest the same on a samurai. Better leave the bike in stock condition. Its just not worth the extra effort.
Old 9th January 2009, 16:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

So how much 2T do you add per litre in the petrol tank? I guess the bike will feel smoother with more oil... but I doubt it it actually results in better lubing... and also, the issue of carbon build up in engine and exhaust...

Btw, since we are discussng this, which is the best 2T oil and transmission oil? I see VERY few options for 2T oils now... :(
Old 9th January 2009, 16:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
So how much 2T do you add per litre in the petrol tank? I guess the bike will feel smoother with more oil... but I doubt it it actually results in better lubing... and also, the issue of carbon build up in engine and exhaust...

Btw, since we are discussng this, which is the best 2T oil and transmission oil? I see VERY few options for 2T oils now... :(
Yupp you said it. It makes the bike much more smoother, which i believe is due to better lubrication.

Like i mentioned earlier i don't add extra 2T oil along with petrol for daily refills. It is done only when i make long trips ( say exceeding 100KM or when i am in a mood to rip )and hence the built up of carbon in the exhaust and engine is limited.

My ride is a 94 make Yamaha Rx-100 and i religiously use Yamlube everytime. I have also tried Mobil1 and am very satisfied with both..other 2T oils which are available are from Castrol, Shell etc...

EDIT : For roughly 3Lts of petrol which goes in i add 30-40 ml of 2TL oil in the tank....

Last edited by jango : 9th January 2009 at 16:15.
Old 9th January 2009, 16:35   #10
BANNED

You guys are advising a dude who dosent know much about filters to change his carb??

He will be taken for a royal ride by the guy who changes it, then by the guy who sells him one and then my the guy who he will run to everytime to tune it.

@benvsben: Get the bike serviced. Change all wheel bearings if required, check if the exhaust needs a cleanup, probably change the airfilter with a newer element and if required check compression. All this will be done by the nearest TVS Service Center.
Old 9th January 2009, 23:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the shogun I have found the shell 2T the best [but thats just me] and the crank case oil always Mobile1 synthetic.
Adding extra oil is good when traveling long distances [helps keep the temperature of the engine in control] , but draw back is clogging of exhaust and extra carbon deposit.

Last edited by dinar : 9th January 2009 at 23:37.
Old 10th January 2009, 00:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Yupp you said it. It makes the bike much more smoother, which i believe is due to better lubrication.

Like i mentioned earlier i don't add extra 2T oil along with petrol for daily refills. It is done only when i make long trips ( say exceeding 100KM or when i am in a mood to rip )and hence the built up of carbon in the exhaust and engine is limited.

My ride is a 94 make Yamaha Rx-100 and i religiously use Yamlube everytime. I have also tried Mobil1 and am very satisfied with both..other 2T oils which are available are from Castrol, Shell etc...

EDIT : For roughly 3Lts of petrol which goes in i add 30-40 ml of 2TL oil in the tank....
Dude... 10+ ml for a litre is way too high!! Not to forget the oil added by the pump!! Normally 2 strokers need about 2% per litre... that too in demanding conditions!

Also, just because the engine feels smoother, it might not be right to use too much 2T beyond the recommended 2%, total... smoother engine MAY not translate into an overall "optimal" ratio!

And Mobil 1 for the gearbox?? Thats a car oil right? I wouldn't be at all sure if thats good for a 2 stroker's gearbox. And what about possible clutch slippage? I guess you havent experienced it?

Actually, problem is the Shogun manual recommends 20w40 oils of BP Actuma, Castrol CRB, Castrol Deusol super, etc. None of these oils are available now. I'v always used Castrol CRB... few years ago it was "S" rated for petrol engines also... but now its labelled as a Diesel only oil. Deusol was always a diesel oil, as far as I remember. Cant recall about BP Actuma. So TVS Suzuki seemd to find some necessity for diesel oils in the gearbox. I just changed the oil myself, but I'm now not too sure if CRB is the best option, considering the change in its formuation over the years. Hence the question. Downside is its now high price @Rs. 245 for a litre!

As for 2T oils, I used to use Mitsubushi (Tide Water Oil) when it was available (not easy). It seemed really good. Smoke emission was the lowest I'v ever seen. Mobil 2t after that... until I had to go hunting for that too... one day I finally got fed up of hunting for rare oils and dumped in Castrol Jet X... which is in the tank since then. I'm not a fan of Castrol, but looking at the options, it felt to be the sanest and easiest choice. Now its priced premium too! :(

Actually, I want a 2t which leaves least carbon/ash deposits and I absolutely balk at giving my bikes to %$#@$ mechanics... the more I can avoid the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Y
@benvsben: Get the bike serviced. Change all wheel bearings if required, check if the exhaust needs a cleanup, probably change the airfilter with a newer element and if required check compression. All this will be done by the nearest TVS Service Center.
Why change the bearings btw??
Old 10th January 2009, 01:43   #13
BANNED

Keep everything stock. For the highway, add 2 sachets of 2T oil (total 120 ml, if memory serves me right) to a full tank of petrol.

As long as your 2T oil tank is running a recommended oil, what you put in the petrol tank doesn't matter. Even IOC's 2T 60 ml sachets work fine BTW.

Edit: Castrol Jett-x - if this works for the Samurai, fine. It never worked for the KBs. Castrol Super TT was always my best bet.

Last edited by hrag : 10th January 2009 at 01:45.
Old 10th January 2009, 14:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

^^^Different oils in the oil tank and fuel tank?? I wouldn't do that... better use the same 2t in both!

Why didn't Jet X "work" for the KB?? Super TT is/was (is it still available?) anyway supposed to be a lower grade oil... and it smokes more! Probably leaves more deposits too.

Btw, I'm considering the Shogun here... but this is valid for the Samurai too, I guess...

Last edited by Raccoon : 10th January 2009 at 14:48.
Old 10th January 2009, 16:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hey, Mobil 1 is same rating[ actually higher rating] than 20W40 [car engine oil as well]. The 20w40 suzuki mentions in the manual, is car oil buddy. The numbers are temperature ratings and when the manaul was printed only these oil where available and synthetic oil started selling openly [read non imports] since 98-99. The difference in these oils is suzuki mention meneral oil and mobil 1 ,the oil I mentioned is synthtic, you also get meneral oil from mobil1. I used my shogun for 8 years and not problem with the clutch and gearbox.
The 2T oil I mentioned has similar properties to tide water.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks