Team-BHP - Why not a Single Lever - Double Brakes Concept for motorbikes?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Why not a Single Lever - Double Brakes Concept for motorbikes? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/51783-why-not-single-lever-double-brakes-concept-motorbikes-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson (Post 1124349)
Also, using the rear brake is a commonly used technique to get out of a tank slapper, if the front brake is hooked on to the same lever, the motorcycle would most definitely skid.manson.

whats a tank slapper ?

The Blackbird was the first bike to have such a system. It was called Dual CBS (Combined Brake System).

Quote:

Originally Posted by slipstream (Post 1125059)
whats a tank slapper ?

That:

Tank Slapper - Video

Didn't get that... I mean cant make out what exactly is happening. What causes this to happen (tank slapping)??

Honda is calling it Combined Braking System. Here is a link Honda Worldwide | Technology Close-up

good engineering but if the delay valve malfunctions at any point during turnings its done.

Most Indians bikers use the front brake only to stop the bike from rolling in signals.

I am not an expert but I think it is not easy to implement a combined braking system in our conditions where there is tar / cement / mud roads plus mud & sand on roads.

Thiyags

Quote:

Most Indians bikers use the front brake only to stop the bike from rolling in signals.
Correction Most Indian bikers still use rear brake more than front

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 1127354)
Correction Most Indian bikers still use rear brake more than front

Thats what I also said, most indians do not use front brake at all. Are you saying, they use rear brake only even in signals?

oops Yes I just re-read your post & you and I are saying same thing :)

Folks ! Just to reiterate my point....

Dont u think a very simple dual braking system (lever based and not too high tech) would make sense on our INDIAN scooters ? Typically like on an Activa or a Dio. We're not talking high speeds here and these vehicles are not stunter's favourites as well (though I still know that some people do).

The idea is to combine convenience with safety. Just depress one lever for an effective stop.

I'm keen to know if someone had tried this on a bicycle....If it works on a bicycle, then an upgraded version should work on a scooter/bike as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 1125669)
Didn't get that... I mean cant make out what exactly is happening. What causes this to happen (tank slapping)??

From Wikipedia:

Wobble or shimmy

Wobble, shimmy, tank-slapper, speed wobble, and death wobble are all words and phrases used to describe a rapid (4–10 Hz) oscillation of primarily just the front end (front wheel, fork, and handlebars). The rest of the bike remains essentially unaffected. This instability occurs mostly at high speed and is similar to that experienced by shopping cart wheels, airplane landing gear, and automobile front wheels. While wobble or shimmy can be easily remedied by adjusting speed, position, or grip on the handlebar, it can be fatal if left uncontrolled.
Wobble or shimmy begins when some otherwise minor irregularity, such as fork asymmetry , accelerates the wheel to one side. The restoring force is applied in phase with the progress of the irregularity, and the wheel turns to the other side where the process is repeated. If there is insufficient damping in the steering the oscillation will increase until system failure occurs. The oscillation frequency can be changed by changing the forward speed, making the bike stiffer or lighter, or increasing the stiffness of the steering, of which the rider is a main component.