Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2018, 14:51   #286
BANNED

Re: Which was your first bike?

The Hero Honda Karizma R or the ZMA as known among enthusiasts back in 2011 was my first motorcycle.

Didn't know how to ride a motorcycle, as no one really taught me how to ride them and I had to make do with YouTube.

After begging and crying for months daddy dearest handed me 90k while he was in the country for his annual leave and we both got into a rickshaw heading towards the nearest Bajaj Showroom, en route we were stuck in traffic and I was almost peeing myself with excitement so asked the driver to head towards the nearest motorcycle showroom which was Diya Motors, a Hero Honda showroom at the time.

They had a piece in Black and would be fine with handing it over right then and there provided we made the full payment of 89k OTR, which we did and moments later we had the motorcycle to ourselves, after peering at the motorcycle for a bit I turned to hand over the keys to my dad and couldn't find him, looked outside and he'd caught another auto back home, either he had so much trust in me or he had none at all.

Anyways not to sound weak, hopped on, thumbed the starter and rode home, remembering everything I'd learnt on YouTube, these were the days when Internet wasn't as cheap as it is now, hence the content had quality.

Managed to not kill myself and reached home.

The next day we got her registered and then had some Pooja's done, dad was following me on our Kiney carrying my helmet as the same was mandatory for registration and I wasn't yet familiar to riding with a helmet on as it made me queasy.

Which was your first bike?-photo0002.jpg

Had some real fun with the motorcycle;

Which was your first bike?-dsc00145_640x480-1.jpg

My longest ride on the ZMA was 1340+ km's in a day during which I nearly killed myself, but that experience was for the good as I've never been inclined to partake in any endurance runs since.

In 2015 after putting almost 57,000 km's on her I had sold the ZMA after a complete rebuild costing 28k, it was sold for around 50k due to pressure from extended family for owning two motorcycles and being unemployed as I was freshly out of college and without a job in hand, funny thing is less than a week after I sold the ZMA I got a call from a top tier professional services firm with whom I'd worked until I quit in late 2017.

God really does work in mysterious ways!

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 29th November 2018 at 14:55.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 16:12   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Learnt riding on a first gen Bajaj Caliber. It was dad's bike and I could use it for random errands here and there. After 4 years and close to 40k kms, he exchanged it for a Caliber 115.

With the Caliber 115, or Hoodibaba as it was popularly known as back then, I got ride moe frequently. I must admit, I was an underage rider then. With dad posted out of town, errands were more frequent and I got the bike to myself. The bike was fast, agile, decently frugal and trendy. Accidentally learnt doing donuts and wheelie, broke a few parts in the process and became a more responsible rider. The bike stayed with us for close to 8 years and 1L kms, out of which I had it for close to 5 years. A couple of minor falls but no major accidents during these years.

Due my college days, the 150cc bikes were the new trend. While I wasn't looking for a stylish bike, I longed for a powerful one. I begged, egged, persuaded and fought with dad for a Unicorn (sensible choice?). I said I will use the Caliber and he will keep the Unicorn, I will borrow it once in a while. But, by then, dad had stopped riding and used the car only. He explained and convinced me a Unicorn or any new bike was an unnecessary expenditure as after 2 years, I will graduate from college and work in some other city. The bike will be a liability for him.

Couple of months later, he got me a preowned Pulsar 150 DTSi. I loved the bike a lot. Changed a few rusting parts, took care of it and used for close to 4 years 25k kms. A brief review can be found in the following thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-150-dtsi.html (Long term ownership report of Pulsar 150 DTSi)

A year into my new job, I wanted to upgrade again (I should have continued with the existing Pulsar which was in brilliant shape). Lame excuses in favor, I was ready for anew bike. I wanted a P220, 200NS or a Karizma R but all 3 had waiting periods of 30-45 days. I wasn't ready to wait and got the next best alternative, a Pulsar 180. Apart from daily office runs, I rode 700 kms in a day to Goa. Loved every bit about the bike. Just like my Caliber 115, this was fast and frugal though a bit heavy.

After 3 years with the bike, I met with an accident where I was very lucky. After that accident and injuries, my dad forced me to stop riding for good. After lots of efforts, I could convince my dad I will keep the bike for small errands and will use a car/bus for daily use. But by then, news had spread that my bike was up for sale and dad's colleague came home one fine day expressing interest to buy the bike. And he took it away at that very moment.

Even on this day, my heart skips a beat or two if I see a similar color Pulsar 180.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...edit-sold.html (Bajaj Pulsar 180 : Long term ownership report. Edit, sold!)

It has been 3.5 years since I have ridden a bike for anything more than 10 kms. Some day, I hope to get back, maybe another Pulsar.

Last edited by ashis89 : 29th November 2018 at 16:14.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 05:42   #288
Senior - BHPian

The first powered two-wheeled thing I ever rode was a Kinetic Honda, I think I was 11 years old.

But the first thing I owned was a Hero Honda Passion Plus. Had no idea how to ride it and how gears work. I was actually intimidated to get such a "big bike". My friend rode it into my apartment, showed me how it works and left. I could hardly get the thing off the stand. Kept riding around the apartment well into the night, slowly started taking turns, then figure eights, and by morning I had the hang of it.

I had so much fun with that bike. Good times. Wish I could be 20 again!
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 08:18   #289
Senior - BHPian

Learnt riding in my dad's Bajaj Super way back in 1997, but real stint with 2-wheelers started in college. Friend's Caliber 115(hoodibaba) was my stepping stone into world of motorbikes.

After getting the first job and first transfer within a year FY2007-08 got my first motorbike. The Apache RTR 160. Some credit goes to Pune auto drivers as well. They were so unfriendly that within 2 months of getting transfer there, had to give up on public transport and got myself the first set of wheels. Maharashtra is a wonderful place to start touring and had an absolute blast back then. In between 2007-2012 did some 22k kms of touring across Maharashtra, Goa, Orissa, Karnataka, Tamilnadu & Pondicherry.

That's the one. 'Happy'

Which was your first bike?-fb_img_1543978767673.jpg

Post that life happened(work commitments made sure I had to travel often) and biking took a backseat. I still have it with me but the usage is reduced to only local errands (nearby vegetable shopping). 50-60kms a month maybe. Have a strong urge at times to upgrade but the lack of use-case is a deterrent. Waiting for April, 2019 when the mandatory safety regulations kick in. Will mostly pick up the FZ25(with ABS) then just for reliving the old times (maybe)

Last edited by SoumenD : 5th December 2018 at 08:33.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 12:46   #290
BHPian

It was Kinetic Spark, way back in 1983 but sold it soon.

Next were...
Priya
Yamaha RX100
Bajaj KB100
Kinetic Honda
and for last 20 years..
Hero Honda Street
Old 21st December 2018, 20:19   #291
BHPian

Looking back at the choices I made, I qualify to be called a fanboy. My first motorcycle was a Pulsar 150 UG3 which was amazing for its time. Had it for a good 6 years before I upgraded to a Pulsar 220 Dts-i. This has been my ride since 2009.

While the earlier Pulsar was a relatively problem-free motorcycle, I cannot say the same for the latter one. From 3 CDI unit changes to handlebars breaking at over 100km/h to gear mechanism falling apart whilst riding, this motorcycle has made me skeptical about owning the most value for money motorcycle!

Every time I was about to buy or upgrade to a new motorcycle, which has only been twice in my life, Bajaj had the best promises with their product offerings. With the experience I have had so far, I would steer away from this manufacturer and scout a quality upgrade for my next one.

I would love to get a new motorcycle right away but life has me crippled on a bed for the next two years. That said, I am eagerly waiting to get back on the road and enjoy the joy of riding. I am drooling on the Interceptor 650 and the Jawa bobber. How I wish I could get a new set of wheels and feel the cold breeze on two wheels! That said, I hope 2020 brings sweeter options and that the Pulsar 220 survives this wrath of time.

Happy riding fellow beings and ride safely.
Pratzgh1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 22:24   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
My first bike, the one my dad got for: me, myself, and only me was; and is a Suzuki Samurai .
Call it coincidence, my first bike was also a No Problem, Suzuki Samurai,which my dad got for me, it was a great bike and served me well, now I have gifted it to a friend and he is still using it.
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 11:31   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Call it coincidence, my first bike was also a No Problem, Suzuki Samurai,which my dad got for me, it was a great bike and served me well, now I have gifted it to a friend and he is still using it.
Cool . Yes, it is a no problem bike with almost no maintenance cost.
Old 26th December 2018, 14:00   #294
BHPian

Started out on Dads Bajaj Super and then brothers TVS 50😄, then dad got me a Hero Puch, what a bike, it was phenomenal. Then various bikes my Brother had over the years
Bajaj Kawasaki kb100
Yamaha RX 100
Suzuki Shogun
Rajdoot RD350 we had over the years owned atleast 8 or 9 of these bikes at one point had 2 of them at a time
Honda VF750 interceptor 1983
Honda CBR 600 1996
Suzuki Bandit1250S 2011
Honda CBR1000RR 2011 present ride
Old 26th December 2018, 15:43   #295

Have ridden many 2 wheelers before like Vijay ALWYN Pushpak, LML VESPA, Hero Honda CD 100, TVS MAX 100R, Bajaj Chetak but the first one to get registered in my name is Yezdi Roadking (1995) in 2002.

Still using it and no plans to part it.

Recently restored with upgrading to front disk brakes

Still some minor work pending but runs like a charm
Attached Thumbnails
Which was your first bike?-yezdi_roadking_2018.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks