Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2009, 13:57   #1
KK9

Is R15 good for touring esp mountains wth pillion

Can you please help me. I recently did a mumbai-khandala tour on my yamaha rx 135 solo. It was my first tour solo and I cant describe the feeling. More than that I was relieved to know that my ten year old rx 135 was rock solid throughout. What a pleasure to see that the bike was still doing 60-70 on average. Even the ghat section is very short before road meets expressway. I would tell everyone that do not be daunted by the prospect of toruing alone because the ghats are not dangerous and once you take the old mum-pune highway - NH4 the roads are smooth and the ghat section short and fun. Only prob being I got a bad cold after ride maybe due to exertion. Plus bike's idling has become low with some sounds but nothing that 1 service cant fix.It took me a total of 4hr and 45 min to do this stretch to khandala and back. Am buying R15 and wanted to know if the bike will be good for hard core touring on the mountains sp with pillion. Rx seemed a little stressed even with just me on the ghat section so was wondering that does engien size really matter in which case is the ZMA better for touring due to larger engine size. I could not go higher than second gear plus at curves was on first gear. Do not want to invest 1 lac and then regret!! Help!
Old 17th January 2009, 15:42   #2
BHPian

As a general rule, a bigger engine is better for touring as it keeps the RPMs low. Pretty much any bike can do Indian highway speeds, but its a question of at what RPM. Lower RPMs mean less vibration, less noise, better mileage and less heat. Which all add up to driver fatigue.
Old 17th January 2009, 15:50   #3
BHPian

R15 on the hills!!!!

Dude, I'm sure you'll enjoy a good hilly ride on the R15, especially with its cornering abilities. But four hours?? No way man. Unless you want to end up with a stiff back. And I have a feeling your pillion rider is definitely going to be a chick. So beware, she'll be screaming her hats off to you after a painfull backache sitting almost lounging over your back for four hours.

The choice however is still yours to make.
Old 18th January 2009, 12:44   #4
BHPian

If you take enough pitstop. it will be enjoyable.
I & my cousin went to Mahabaleshwar on bike its approx 350kms & 6 hrs ride.
2 bike R15 & Pulsar 180
Old 18th January 2009, 13:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

It would be wiser if you look at more thaan just engine power if you intend touring, that to with a pillion.
I feel you should consider riding position also while touring since long hours of riding a bike with a sporty angle like the R15 will stress your knees back and neck... not to talk about what happens to your pillion.
Old 18th January 2009, 13:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

how about the FZ instead
Old 18th January 2009, 13:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Look up the R15 boys on xbhp. There are some in sikkim who've actually taken it on REAL mountains, as opposed to the twisties mentioned in your post. They can better advice you.

Either ways, seats can be modified easily with foam. Its posture which is tricky.
Old 18th January 2009, 14:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Methinks you need a TBTS. This will fit your bill perfectly. Enough lugging power for two and a great relaxed stance to thump away all day. If budget is not a constraint, then you could even consider the torque monster, the Machismo LB500.

Cheers
Old 20th January 2009, 11:02   #9
BANNED

Don't go for long rides on R15 with a pillion. The main problem is the seating position.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks