Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 12:39   #16
BHPian

Hey, I shall get the prices out to you guys in a few days. It is in the range of 14k change plus Uncle does have a soft heart to provide some stuff free.

My bike is not in Delhi. Infact, I have only managed to attain a very small inventory of spares from Delhi. Such as the Frame. My garage is at my home town, about five hours from Delhi. And I am getting the job done at my own Garage in my backyard. I have a passion for automobiles, and thats why I do them myself. You can do a search for Kapil Jolly Matchless on Google and click the link to know more about my passion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asejwal View Post
Prices of all parts procured would be very helpful in planning for such a project to all Rx100 owners. Please provide ASAP. Also, where are you getting the job done!?!

Shakensoul had got in done at Faiz Road, Karol Bagh. Is yours at the same place?
Old 20th January 2009, 13:02   #17
BHPian

going by the quality work on your previous machines , this rx100 will turn out to be equally amazing for your son to ride 17 years later.
Old 20th January 2009, 16:38   #18
BHPian

Thanks Viks. I shall also post latest pictures of the Jawa. I have managed to source the original tail light and chain covers, which differ in the pictures. However, lets not deviate. The Rx is one bike I too am looking forward to soon as its been my absolute favourite. And thank you so much for those polite words. I do take a lot of pains to acheive that finish in my bikes.

Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrut View Post
going by the quality work on your previous machines , this rx100 will turn out to be equally amazing for your son to ride 17 years later.
Old 20th January 2009, 16:44   #19
BHPian

Yes, there has been a coating of wax that has been applied but even then I am told that it will eventually fade away in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet080808 View Post
Great start! Looking forward to the rest of the restoration job.

One question - After buffing the engine case, did you put any protective coating on it, as otherwise the surface may get dull with time?
Old 20th January 2009, 17:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
The original casing comes sealed with a special paste called threadbond.
It's not threadbond. It's called "Threebond", mainly used between crankcase halves as there is no gasket there. Original and duplicate Threebond available in the market, buy from a reputed dealer for the original stuff.
Old 20th January 2009, 20:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
Hey, I shall get the prices out to you guys in a few days. It is in the range of 14k change plus Uncle does have a soft heart to provide some stuff free.

My bike is not in Delhi. Infact, I have only managed to attain a very small inventory of spares from Delhi. Such as the Frame. My garage is at my home town, about five hours from Delhi. And I am getting the job done at my own Garage in my backyard. I have a passion for automobiles, and thats why I do them myself. You can do a search for Kapil Jolly Matchless on Google and click the link to know more about my passion.
Hey aKapil One great rebuild that you are doing. actually i personally own a 1993 RX 100 that has been recentry converted into the 135 with 5 gears. i may be looking at getting it painted back in to the original again. do you mind me asking where is the bike rite now i mean what Town?. and do you plan to bring it to delhi. if you would sir i would like to meet up some day we have two RX100's one has been Completely redone with a brand new RX100 Barrel and also we got Front disk and Galdiator Alloys to make it look nice and more better ridder.

Thanks

DesiD
Old 21st January 2009, 10:23   #22
BHPian

Hey Desi. Thanks man. However, my place is a good four hours from Delhi. So it will be quite a descision to drive the bike down to Delhi. But do post pictures of your bikes dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Hey aKapil One great rebuild that you are doing. actually i personally own a 1993 RX 100 that has been recentry converted into the 135 with 5 gears. i may be looking at getting it painted back in to the original again. do you mind me asking where is the bike rite now i mean what Town?. and do you plan to bring it to delhi. if you would sir i would like to meet up some day we have two RX100's one has been Completely redone with a brand new RX100 Barrel and also we got Front disk and Galdiator Alloys to make it look nice and more better ridder.

Thanks

DesiD
Old 21st January 2009, 10:27   #23
BHPian

Tuesday!

Hey guys. Well, last night came as quite a challenge for me. One of the Dovel/dowel pins on the case wouldn't budge. We had to reface the cases but that pin just wouldn't move. So using a crank heater and heating the case and then soaking it in WD40, we finally got it out after an hour. Refaced the chamber cases and also got a little chassis work down with the rear mudguard etc fitted. Should also have the swing arm back from paint today and will get some wheels mounted and a little engine work preperation done. Heres the picture from yesterdays efforts.
Attached Thumbnails
Rebirth of my 1987 Rx100-dsc01177-medium.jpg  

Old 21st January 2009, 10:28   #24
BHPian

You're right. sorry for the typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
It's not threadbond. It's called "Threebond", mainly used between crankcase halves as there is no gasket there. Original and duplicate Threebond available in the market, buy from a reputed dealer for the original stuff.
Old 21st January 2009, 16:23   #25
BHPian

Shopping

Hey. Went shopping to the Dealership again. Lucky for me, Uncle had a lot more material lying ready, which included Carb Jets, O-rings, Oil pump O rings, Genuine foundation nut bolts, Tubes, Fuel tank cap, pet cock, fuel filter, Cylinder rubber kit, dowel pins, locks, Oil seals, dust seals, wheel spacers, brake cam set, brake shoe springs, clamps, throttle yoke, small black clamps that hold the two stroke oil pipes to the chamber case to give that very genuine look to the engine, sprocket lock, dip stick, meter bulbs, carb choke lever assembly, Chassis number punching tools, and a few small items that are all critical to making an original Rx. The only things I know where I haven't used the Original part is the Rear Shocks, the front headlight dome and am using the Shogun Rectifier in the Electricals. Everything else, infact every nut bolt on this bike is a genuine Yamaha Rx100 part. I do have the original Headlight dome for back up asthetics to prove authenticity and a set of rear shocks. Just in case.

BUT, I have not been able to get two things yet. Just two things. One: Its called a plug and goes into the clutch side chamber. Its the plug used to close the socket where the RPM cable for the RXZ goes in. And the second part is a small conical spring that is used to hold the handle lock in its place. Not difficult to source but just haven't found it yet.
Old 21st January 2009, 17:29   #26

Hey dude!

So very cool to meet a doode whose re-doing a '87 model. I did it bout 3 years ago in my final year of college. Ive heard but am not sure if its true that all the '87 model engines were imported for Japan.

Also since youre doing the '87 model i'd like to tell you of a small problem i had with my engine. My bike was lying unused for bout a year and half when i was studying abroad. It was in the open and got a bad beating in the rain and sun. (chennai has some of the worst rains and summer) I returned after 2 years and started the bike and the engine was in good health. Started the 3rd time i kicked. I gave it for servicing and my engine developed a small snag after the service.

After starting the bike and running for a couple of miles the engine used to splutter and jerk uncontrollably. Each time i gave it to the mech he used to say that there might be some blockage in the fuel tank and used to clean the tank. This problem persisted for some more time and i took it to another mechanic who suggested that the spark might have gone bad. We changed the spark plug and the vehicle went fine for a week. The problem started again when it rained and i almost started hating my bike. It would stop at odd places and never start. The only way to start it then would be either to kick 30-40 times or wait for an hour after which it would miraculously start.

After all this fiasco i stopped using my bike and left it to die.

A small roadside mech kid. hardly 15 used to admire my bike because i had modified it to look like a dirt bike. He came and took a look at the bike and finally diagonised the problem with a coil which supplies the current to the spark plug. The coil had come with the original '87 model and had gone rusty and bad in the rain. I had spent more than 6k to get the bike to stop spluttering where i could have spent just Rs.150 for the coil.

After the coil replacement my bike runs smooth as ever and gives lovely pickup.

I love my YAMAHA RX100 and will never sell it. cheers:
Old 21st January 2009, 18:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Kapil good stuff...looking forward to see it come alive

btw my first bike was an RX100 and an 87 model
Old 21st January 2009, 23:43   #28
BHPian

Wednesday!

Woo. Awesome buddy. The sweetest part of this write up is that if in school a teacher would ask a student to write an essay on "My Rx100", you would have scored the highest for sure. I specially loved your conclusion, "I love my YAMAHA RX100 and will never sell it." Sweeeeeeet.

And yes, 86 and 87's were 100% Japanese kits and thats the beauty of them. Did you know that these kits are actually more powerful than their following counterparts because the Japanes kits had a much better compression ratio than their indian counterparts. And thats why they performed a lot better. Also, the ports were a lot smoother.

Anyways, I also managed to get a Japanese Flasher unit. You can see the imprint of Made In japan in the picture. So todays work comprised of fitting the brake shoes, meter gear, oil seals, Speedometer console, fuel tank lid lock and a few smaller items readied for tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragonEye View Post
Hey dude!

So very cool to meet a doode whose re-doing a '87 model. I did it bout 3 years ago in my final year of college. Ive heard but am not sure if its true that all the '87 model engines were imported for Japan.

Also since youre doing the '87 model i'd like to tell you of a small problem i had with my engine. My bike was lying unused for bout a year and half when i was studying abroad. It was in the open and got a bad beating in the rain and sun. (chennai has some of the worst rains and summer) I returned after 2 years and started the bike and the engine was in good health. Started the 3rd time i kicked. I gave it for servicing and my engine developed a small snag after the service.

After starting the bike and running for a couple of miles the engine used to splutter and jerk uncontrollably. Each time i gave it to the mech he used to say that there might be some blockage in the fuel tank and used to clean the tank. This problem persisted for some more time and i took it to another mechanic who suggested that the spark might have gone bad. We changed the spark plug and the vehicle went fine for a week. The problem started again when it rained and i almost started hating my bike. It would stop at odd places and never start. The only way to start it then would be either to kick 30-40 times or wait for an hour after which it would miraculously start.

After all this fiasco i stopped using my bike and left it to die.

A small roadside mech kid. hardly 15 used to admire my bike because i had modified it to look like a dirt bike. He came and took a look at the bike and finally diagonised the problem with a coil which supplies the current to the spark plug. The coil had come with the original '87 model and had gone rusty and bad in the rain. I had spent more than 6k to get the bike to stop spluttering where i could have spent just Rs.150 for the coil.

After the coil replacement my bike runs smooth as ever and gives lovely pickup.

I love my YAMAHA RX100 and will never sell it. cheers:
Attached Thumbnails
Rebirth of my 1987 Rx100-dsc01178-medium.jpg  

Rebirth of my 1987 Rx100-dsc01179-medium.jpg  

Rebirth of my 1987 Rx100-dsc01180-medium.jpg  

Old 22nd January 2009, 00:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

the meter and the pivot lamps look lovely hey Kapil would you be able to get two sets of the pivot lamps for me please
Old 22nd January 2009, 00:49   #30

thanks Kapil for your full marks on the essay . i love the original classic look of the Yamaha RX100. I modified mine and though it looks alright i can always vouch for the original design. Do you really wanna go ahead with the sissy bar? I think rx100 looks better without it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks