Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2009, 16:47   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Tool box was not there in RX they came with RXG.
My RX135 1998 sep model also have tool box.

I use speed-petrol,castrol 2T in my 2T tank,mostly full,pennzoil/servo mobil oil.
My bike is fit except grease/wet on my silencer.perhaps some oil etc. oozing out..
My bike starts in 2-3 kicks every morning with choke open..But again sometime it will not start in 100 kicks some days,by the time i take her to mechanic it will start there in first kick,this repeated 3 times in last year..
Old 23rd January 2009, 16:59   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
I agree they do. But even then, ten years will not make any harm to it. PLus, its sealed. Had been been like the 87, an 87 packing, I would have reconsidered.

Yep, will definitely be keeping the pump setting on the higer side. Not only in the run in, but for good. And a little more oil doesn't hurt. So will run the first few tanks by mixing the oil in the petrol itself. Better safe than never. Thanks Jaggu.
Gosh, engine oil is certainly not like wine! Its not supposed to get any better while it ages... I know, technically oil have approx 4 years shelf life, but personally, I don't buy anything over about 5 months max... preferably 2-3 months. Reduces the chances of adulteration also. Call me paranoid.

And more oil than whats necessary is no good at all. You will gunk up your engine... not to mention the pollution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
you can get petronas from dream bikes at MG road..
all other brands you mentioned are mineral oil..
petronas is synthetic so it has to be expensive
Well, even the mineral Petronas costs a lot more than Made in India brands... as per the prices you have mentioned. Thanks for the name of the place... will try and look out for it, when I'm that side of town.

Quote:
Why did you buy the Yamalube that was packaged 10 years back, oils have a shelf life! Better option is to get a genuine Castrol super TT.

Excellent restoration otherwise, while run in keep the oil pump setting to the higher side. Tool box was not there in RX they came with RXG.
Why Super TT? Jet X is supposed to be superior... if you are looking only at Castrol. When I last tried Super TT (years ago), it used to smoke lot more than Jet X... and will likely leave more deposits.

And yes, using 2 different oils... like Super TT in the gas tank and Yamaha Lube in the oil tank might not be the best idea. Better to let one oil do its job!

Btw, I'm curious - what do you guys use for the transmission? And what does Yamaha recommend?
Old 23rd January 2009, 17:05   #63
BHPian

Great work bro.
Hopefully i would have my 93 Rx100 rebuilt soon.Currently there is some knocking of piston, so complete engine rebuilt is also due.
What i feel is brakes of Rx100 are inadequate, and sugestions to imporove them?
Old 23rd January 2009, 17:53   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit26 View Post
My RX135 1998 sep model also have tool box.

My bike starts in 2-3 kicks every morning with choke open..But again sometime it will not start in 100 kicks some days,by the time i take her to mechanic it will start there in first kick,this repeated 3 times in last year..
For first part i stand corrected yes RX 135 had the box.

Starting problem, strip and clean the carb and set the float level to OE spec, then air screw adjustment to stock as well as the needle level if the slider. That should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Why Super TT? Jet X is supposed to be superior... if you are looking only at Castrol. When I last tried Super TT (years ago), it used to smoke lot more than Jet X... and will likely leave more deposits.

Btw, I'm curious - what do you guys use for the transmission? And what does Yamaha recommend?
Yup JetX is also fine, though slightly more moolah compared to super TT.

For gear box Castrol CRB range should have appropriate grade, but refrain from synthetic since its wet clutch and can cause clutch slip. Here shudh minerals works best
Old 23rd January 2009, 18:48   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Starting problem, strip and clean the carb and set the float level to OE spec, then air screw adjustment to stock as well as the needle level if the slider. That should work.

For gear box Castrol CRB range should have appropriate grade, but refrain from synthetic since its wet clutch and can cause clutch slip. Here shudh minerals works best
Ditto... most problems are carb related. Instead of dismantling the carb, I suggest using IFTEX System 2 3. My Suzuki Shgun had long intervals where it lying totally unused. The petrol in the tank was left standing for weeks/months. It developed a li'l starting problem too. I used System 2 3... in slightly higher quantity initially and after a few hundred km, everything is just fine! The carb hasn't been opened in like 4 - 5 years! Of course if you need to check the needle, float, etc., you might as well manually clean it.

I't been using Castrol CRB Plus in my Shogun since the begining. Its a recommended oil in the manual too. But my worry is that the specs were API SC/CC that time (if I remember correct). Now its labelled as a diesel only oil with CF-4 rating. So the formulation has changed over the years. So I'm now not sure if its the right thing to use for gearboxes. Any comments?

Also, how long might it be ok to keep the oil in the gearbox? For eg. the Shogun manual says its good for 6,000 km or something. But no mention about the time!

As for fully synthetic oil for gearboxes, they shouldn't be a problem as long as they are ment for bikes (JASO certified).
Old 23rd January 2009, 22:35   #66
BHPian

Waiting for fresh pics and update from the restoration.
Old 24th January 2009, 00:55   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Why did you buy the Yamalube that was packaged 10 years back, oils have a shelf life! Better option is to get a genuine Castrol super TT.

Excellent restoration otherwise, while run in keep the oil pump setting to the higher side. Tool box was not there in RX they came with RXG.
True. Oil is nothing but a chemical entity and all chemical molecules have a shelf life. Suggest you to refrain using this 'original' oil, this will do no good than damaging the engine.
Old 24th January 2009, 14:09   #68
BHPian

God be with you!

Mate! I have no words in expressing my likeness to your attitude over the bike. Simply awesome!

Do whatever... but, just this one thought mate... make it eco-friendly. Just that!

Cheers!
Old 24th January 2009, 14:24   #69
BHPian

hi guys...was a little curious to know that is this a re-birth or a restoration?i hope i am making some sense here
Old 24th January 2009, 15:00   #70
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

All the best for the restoration Kapil. This would definitely turn out to be a brand new Yamaha RX100. Can you post some before pics of the bike too.

We have just finished work on our Yamaha RX100, although that was a modded out. But it ended up being a restoration job cos we had to replace almost everything except the engine frame and suspension.

Anyways have you decided on the paint job?? What color is it gonna be?

Also check out the below threads on the RX100

My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread!

YetiBlog® - Yamaha RX100 memories

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

Last edited by v12 : 24th January 2009 at 15:12.
Old 24th January 2009, 16:14   #71
BHPian

Hey. Well, I'm going to go ease out for a bit. Its a long weekend and we got the handle T and headlight and indicators mounted. Also cleaned out and finished the carb with new jets, needles and float.

I shall post pictures on the 26th. Am out for the weekend.

As per the oil, descision changed. Using fresh oil.

And I don't see much of a difference in Rebirth or Restoration. But I guess since almost everything on this bike is being sourced to be as genuine as possible, I thought of calling it a rebirth. Cos the bike was an absolute goner.

Thanks for those encouraging words Ben and V12. Very warmly appreciated guys and I simply loved the cafe racer mods. Beautys.

Cheers folks. See you in a few days.
Old 24th January 2009, 16:46   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Kapil - I am very happy to see what you are doing. Your passion is clearly showing and you are going about it very systematically which I like. I hope your bike will become one of the best RX100s in India. Just to make you more happy, I am posting a picture of my OH REE GEE NUL 1984 model first lot first owner Mumbai registered Ind Suzuki AX100. I hope you like it. I will never sell it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Rebirth of my 1987 Rx100-dsc00034.jpg  

Rebirth of my 1987 Rx100-dsc00032.jpg  

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2009, 12:42   #73
BHPian

Awesome maintainance Dhabar. It sure looks like it was the first day it was bought and I hope it rides just as the same.

I managed to get the handle grips today and also the yokes. Bought a set of horns for it, The right side yoke is the same for the yams but the left side one in the RX did not have a switch socket. Managed to get that one too. Also got a new throttle body, I hope thats what its called. Its the aluminium casing in which the throttle grip assembly functions. It was a challenge getting that one too. Also got the conical spring for the handle lock. Now I am only missing out on the clutch case plug. I have the one that came with the bike. Will have it cleaned out and put back as it still looks good enough. Will have a little rubber paint coat put on it to give it a clean look. Its basically a metal cap with a rubber coating and the rubbing coating is a little chipped. So since its almost impossible to get, i'll go with using the same one. So techincally we're all set with the parts taken care off. Will be mounting the front section on the 26th evening once I reach home. And then we should be left with engine which I shall take slow so that I don't run into anything to stop the build from completion.

Happy Republic day guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Kapil - I am very happy to see what you are doing. Your passion is clearly showing and you are going about it very systematically which I like. I hope your bike will become one of the best RX100s in India. Just to make you more happy, I am posting a picture of my OH REE GEE NUL 1984 model first lot first owner Mumbai registered Ind Suzuki AX100. I hope you like it. I will never sell it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 26th January 2009, 20:55   #74
BHPian

Pictures.

Hey folks. Just reached home after a great weekend. My Brother in law is engaged. So was at his function.

Well, like I promised some pictures, here they are. we have used the old front shock rods to help mount the front headlight brackets. Also notice deatils are very important for the originality. notice the samll lock pins on the 2T tank pipes!

Should do a lot more tomorrow and will post you all of the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Rebirth of my 1987 Rx100-dsc01195-medium.jpg  

Rebirth of my 1987 Rx100-dsc01198-medium.jpg  

Rebirth of my 1987 Rx100-dsc01199-medium.jpg  

Rebirth of my 1987 Rx100-dsc01201-medium.jpg  

Rebirth of my 1987 Rx100-dsc01202-medium.jpg  

Rebirth of my 1987 Rx100-dsc01203-medium.jpg  

Old 26th January 2009, 21:38   #75
BHPian

there she goes, her beauty is coming out slowly slowly
great work dude, keep it up

hope to see her @ roads soon