Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2009, 17:36   #1
BHPian

Need help on buying a cheap bike with good FE

So, one of my close friends needs a vehicle of some sort... and he needs it badly. But he's short on cash and he really can't keep traveling by auto. So, I suggest that he save up, beg borrow and get a bike. Now, which one is the question. It needs to be cheap. And it needs to give very good to amazing mileage. Looks and power don't matter at all.

The cheapest bike I've seen so far is the Xenitis one but I'm concerned about the availability of spares, servicing and so forth.

Now, I have no experience with bikes whatsoever, being a car person myself. So, I'd be happy if someone could help me with a few good pointers about which one would be best for him.
Old 25th January 2009, 21:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well, Bajaj Platina is said to have a great FE. But costwise it can be more. Also A.S & S. is bad. So ask your friend to consider
1) Hero Honda CD Dawn.
2) TVS Star city.

Now out the above two, I think its worth going in for CD Dawn. Its a proved product with low VFM asking price. Known to be capable of completing more than 80K kms without issues. A.S & S. one of the best with respect to two wheelers. Aslo the prices of spares are not very high and the bike itself wont ask for too much maintenence. A very reliable steed.

EDIT : I suggest you avoid Xenitis as its not a very well known brand and in fact I am yet to see a bike from Xentis in Vadodara city ( using this just for reference ). Its best to go in for a bike from a reputed manufacturer.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 25th January 2009 at 21:37.
Old 27th January 2009, 18:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeblitz View Post
So, one of my close friends needs a vehicle of some sort....
Why not go for a used bike? Something like HH Splendour or some good Bajaj model should give him mental peace

With the bike prices dropping in the used bikes market, thanks to the slow down /recession (atleast in Bangalore I hear - where these IT guys are selling off their rides), your friend should be able to strike a sweet deal.
Old 27th January 2009, 21:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Now out the above two, I think its worth going in for CD Dawn. Its a proved product with low VFM asking price. Known to be capable of completing more than 80K kms without issues. A.S & S. one of the best with respect to two wheelers. Aslo the prices of spares are not very high and the bike itself wont ask for too much maintenence. A very reliable steed.
+1. Though I have not owned this bike, I have a very close friend of mine who has successfully completed 60k kms and no major issues/repairs till date. He is getting a steady mileage of 50-55 kmpl in the chaotic Blore traffic. So this would be one of the ideal bikes for your friends needs!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks