Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

I just sold my Yezdi in december, reasong being I aint gonna be around for sometime.

Yezdi is an awesome bike to drive. The brakes on mine were terrible and the lights just about best for city driving under illuminated lanes. I think a battery is a must for powerful lights.

The bike remains in control and is capable of high speeds. The steering vibrated a lot though. But the tyres on mine were hopeless and I had thought of a steering with damps quite some times.

costs will be low on a well maintained bike but can escalate explicitly upon abuse. Roadking is the best model followed by the old classic models.

You can also look at a Suzuki shogun/shaolin for a good price in a well maintained condition to mod upon alongwith the Yamaha's
Old 6th February 2009, 11:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

How about army disposal bullet?

I heard they are built more sturdyer than the production models. Also I heard they are more powerful also.

Can any one comment on the Army disposal bullet w.r.t. my requirements.

kkr, is building a bunker to ward off the bricks and bats.
Old 6th February 2009, 13:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post

I heard they are built more sturdyer than the production models. Also I heard they are more powerful also.

kkr, is building a bunker to ward off the bricks and bats.
If I were you, I would forget the army surplus/disposal route unless I had an uncle who was in-charge of the bikes on sale.

The army sells the bikes & jeeps etc. pretty much after they condemn them (unless of course your uncle is arranging for a good one). Never mind that they were sturdier and/or more powerful to begin with, by the time they come to disposal they are in pretty poor shape and require a huge amount of work on them. I had friends in Pune who tried the army jeep and bike route, fortunately they lived to tell the tale. The restoration/repair work is time consuming and expensive.

Cheers and happy hunting.
Old 6th February 2009, 16:16   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm, Raj is looking for a weekend bike. Looks like you hit pay-dirt in your first month of job. Pretty darn good.

I am in double mind to sell off my Pulsar 150? Like all my vehicles, impeccably maintained. Well, you have ridden it to Nagarjunsagar and beat a fellow tbhpian on a P200.

Were you Impressed?
Old 6th February 2009, 16:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

so avi, does it mean you are offering your bike to your buddy for 15k??

Quote:
The army sells the bikes & jeeps etc. pretty much after they condemn them (unless of course your uncle is arranging for a good one)
So you mean to say that if I have some contacts I may end up with a good bike much before it reaches the stage of disposal.

BTW, will I get one such example for 15K?? And what condition will such a bike be in??

Raj.
Old 6th February 2009, 16:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
so avi, does it mean you are offering your bike to your buddy for 15k??

So you mean to say that if I have some contacts I may end up with a good bike much before it reaches the stage of disposal.

BTW, will I get one such example for 15K?? And what condition will such a bike be in??

Raj.
i don't know how the army disposal system works - in the sense, i don't know if contacts will get you a better (read less used) bike. what i do know from my father being in the navy is that the military (to use a broader term) condemned vehicles are really in apalling condition. breakdowns are already a way of life with them before they are condemned, so that should give you an idea what they are like once dumped.
Old 7th February 2009, 23:55   #22
BHPian

I rode a 1996 Yezdi Roadking from 2000 to 2005. I finally sold it in mint condition for 8.5k (bought for 22k). I still miss the bike even though I ride my Tbird.
It is a great bike for the highway, I have ridden from Bangalore to Coorg and Ooty with my wife. It is very relaxed on the highway and untiring. It can do 80-100 all day without effort.
The reason I sold it was it was noisy and had a lot of vibration, this along with its looks, and the fact that it smoked in traffic signals made it very unpopular with my wife.
Make sure you have a good mechanic before you buy it. The coil can be rewound to power a 55/60 lamp and use a good reflector. RKs generally have a steering cone problem similar to what RX100s used to have, this results in the famous Yezdi judder on braking. As for the brakes, the front dual cam drums are pretty good if you use a good quality brake liner and balance them well.
It might vibrate, smoke, make a huge noise but it will get you where you are going. Try and find one with the CDI ignition. You can swap the carb with a mikuni or spaco to avoid flooding the carb. The original chekov carb will give you better power on the highway at the cost of some milage. I would get anywhere between 32 and 38 for a litre of petrol. If you use good 2t oil the engine will last 50k km.
I remember a drag I had one day as I was hurrying home to take my wife to a play. I creamed a ZMA and a couple of RX100s, that really felt good.
In Bangalore I can point you to a very good mechanic for Yezdis.
Good Luck
Old 8th February 2009, 06:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

My Weekend ride(as well as daily ride!) is my Bullet(electra 4speed).yes ,it can cop up with 80kmph speed if wanted and also can go at 45kmph too.a small trip means a good amount of +ve feelings when doing a relaxed trip.feel much better with bullet.

I guess bullets will be available for 20k budget somewhere up north?
Old 10th February 2009, 01:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Never mind that they were sturdier and/or more powerful to begin with.
Hello Sir: Nice writeup about the Jawa/Yezdi. Nice to know that u've ridden one for 20 years. Nothing matches up to experience.

My question here is how were the military bullets more powerful. As to my knowledge they have the same engine specs as the civilian ones. The only difference is the cosmetics.
Old 10th February 2009, 11:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_m5_titus View Post
What about getting a used ol' fiero and getting it done by Mr. Venugopal in bangalore. It will be in your budget and you will have a hoot riding it. then it will be the zma guys in your group who will have to do the catching up!
Whre is this Mr. Venugopal in bangalore? Any phone number or address provided will be of great help for my close friend
Old 10th February 2009, 12:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Venugopal is member here, you can drop him a mail or send a PM.
Old 10th February 2009, 17:34   #27
BHPian

You can def try a 2nd hand bull. But i won't suggest Army disposal. As others mentioned - army disposed bullets/jeeps are not worth. Look for a std 350/electra/machismo (old). It can easily do 80 / 90 kmph - if not 120kmph. You budget is too low. At 15K you won't get a reliable bike. Push it to 35/ 35K. At 6'2" RX is to small / short for you. To comfortably change gears & use rear brake pedal - you have to seat in the pillion seat.

Another bike I suggest is CBZ (considering your height) - and it can do 120kmph too

Quote:

Old 10th February 2009, 20:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post
I rode a 1996 Yezdi Roadking from 2000 to 2005. I finally sold it in mint condition for 8.5k (bought for 22k). I still miss the bike even though I ride my Tbird.
It is a great bike for the highway, I have ridden from Bangalore to Coorg and Ooty with my wife. It is very relaxed on the highway and untiring. It can do 80-100 all day without effort.
The reason I sold it was it was noisy and had a lot of vibration, this along with its looks, and the fact that it smoked in traffic signals made it very unpopular with my wife.
Make sure you have a good mechanic before you buy it. The coil can be rewound to power a 55/60 lamp and use a good reflector. RKs generally have a steering cone problem similar to what RX100s used to have, this results in the famous Yezdi judder on braking. As for the brakes, the front dual cam drums are pretty good if you use a good quality brake liner and balance them well.
It might vibrate, smoke, make a huge noise but it will get you where you are going. Try and find one with the CDI ignition. You can swap the carb with a mikuni or spaco to avoid flooding the carb. The original chekov carb will give you better power on the highway at the cost of some milage. I would get anywhere between 32 and 38 for a litre of petrol. If you use good 2t oil the engine will last 50k km.
I remember a drag I had one day as I was hurrying home to take my wife to a play. I creamed a ZMA and a couple of RX100s, that really felt good.
In Bangalore I can point you to a very good mechanic for Yezdis.
Good Luck
Hey, can you help me providing any information of mechanic where I can get yezdi? I have TB and planning for yezdi as another bike.

Thanks.
Old 17th February 2009, 10:41   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Hey, can you help me providing any information of mechanic where I can get yezdi? I have TB and planning for yezdi as another bike.

Thanks.
Hi,
My mechanic was Dorai of Dorai Auto Works. His garage is on RV Road near south end circle. If you are going from Lalbagh towards Southend Circle, you need to take the left after Sonata Software.
He might be able to find you a Yezdi.

Good luck
Old 18th February 2009, 00:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post
Hi,
My mechanic was Dorai of Dorai Auto Works. His garage is on RV Road near south end circle. If you are going from Lalbagh towards Southend Circle, you need to take the left after Sonata Software.
He might be able to find you a Yezdi.

Good luck
Thanks for your information. I'll try this week end and will update you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks