Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2009, 21:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

After installing the H4 with expectations, I did not get the optimum light. This was first disappointment. Next my battery drained out. I dont know why. The Zeus was purchased on 12-May-2007. Its not even 2 years and the battery is out cold. The dual horns and indicators have been regularly used. My bike is yet to complete 10K kms.

I think the battery is drained because of the 55/60W bulb.
1) Is this correct ?
2) Are there any chances of my electrical system being damaged like the charging coil or some other thing ?
3) How to ascertain that the charging coil is not bust ?
Old 30th April 2009, 16:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

Continuing the search for the best bulb...

Had been to the authorised MICO BOSCH dealer yesterday to buy W5BC spark plugh for my gun. Remembering the recommendations here, bought the MICO halogen bulb. I was sceptical, but the guy agreed to take it back if I have issues with it.

Came home, tried it and the illumination is bit less than the Osram halogen bulb which is currently doing duty (details and pics in earlier posts). Not satisfied, I removed it and have put the Osram back. Will return the MICO soon.

The bulb (Maxbulb, 35W) cost me Rs. 60 (Rs. 64 printed). Mfd. date is 2/2009. It made in India stuff.

I guess the only bulb I'v not tried is the new Halonix. Have tried the older one as mentioned earlier.

I guess I'll just go and buy another ordinary tungsten filament bulb and fix it back. Strangely that gave me the best illumination compared to all the halogens I'v tried. :(

Anybody considering a hologen for the sock Shogun headlamp, just dont waste your money and time... strange as it sounds, ordinary bulb is the best.

Last edited by Raccoon : 30th April 2009 at 16:24.
Old 30th August 2021, 17:48   #48
BHPian

Re: Best bulb (halogen?) for Shogun?

Reviving an old thread

I have had good results from switching over to Osram Silver Star 35/35W bulb on my RX stock beam.

I have used the same bulb on my dads activa and I found its a huge improvement. Link below:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post3681173 (DIY: Honda Activa Headlight Upgrade)

(Please forgive the mistake of calling a HS1 as H4, I was not that aware then)

If anyone wants to try Silver star:
https://www.amazon.in/Osram-Silver-S...s%2C406&sr=8-2

However, there is another option that most people do not try before switching to H4 60/55 W. Its the Osram Rallye HS1 45/40 W.

12V 35W bulb draws about 3 Amps of current, and 12V 60W draws 5A of current. this doesn't look like a big difference, but if we use 60W bulb on wiring designed for 35W, the fuse blows out. If we replace the fuse with a 5A one, then the wires heat up and insulation hardens. In worst case the wire may melt.

The 45W bulb seems to be slightly more powerful without frying the wiring. I feel its best to upgrade to this bulb than risking damage to OE wiring or upgrading the wiring itself.

Here is the link to Osram Rallye:
https://www.amazon.in/Osram-Halogen-...s%2C406&sr=8-8

I have not used this option as the Silverstars are good enough for me.

We need to keep in mind that merely going with a bulb of higher wattage will not yield better illumination, unless the alternator and battery can provide the increased power (current).

While upgrading the alternator is not easy, we can go with LED tail/break lights, pilot lamps and indicators, which provide same illumination at 1/5th of the power, thereby freeing up some capacity for a higher power bulb.

LED headlights are also now available but I do not favor them as the color temperature of the LEDs are usually close to 6000K and they are not useful in fog and rain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks