Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2009, 09:57   #1
BHPian

TVS Apache RTR 180

how far it is true that TVS in going to launch 180cc bike called "TVS Apache RTR 180 MENACE" ???

If yes when it will be lauching ?

Is it worth waiting for this bike instread going for Zma ??

guys share your info about this upcoming TVS product
Old 21st February 2009, 11:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

smart2smart, am not sure about the Tvs new bike but i can say zma is a good choice for now.

Actually in a year or 2 we might be seeing many new bikes, so in a way its worth waiting too
Old 21st February 2009, 13:11   #3
BHPian

i love to have a Zma but it does not have a Fuel injection. I guess new generation bikes are having this Fi.
and HH didnt do any upgrades in Zma. Zma is the same old Zma
mean while bajaj is introducing their 125cc - 135cc bikes with Fi
poor Zma

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
smart2smart, am not sure about the Tvs new bike but i can say zma is a good choice for now.

Actually in a year or 2 we might be seeing many new bikes, so in a way its worth waiting too
Old 21st February 2009, 14:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why the leaning towards FI ? they are still new and you need to go to service station to tune them . Difficult to maintain in this sense .
Stick to carb for now and it should be easy and friendly toooo.
Wait for RTR 180 and then take a call , it supposed to be good . You have waited till now ,another 2 months will not hurt .
Old 21st February 2009, 15:22   #5
BHPian

FI technology in motorcycles is a bit of a white elephant. Even the mighty BMW has had repeated issues getting the FI map right. Their US spec bikes are famous for having FI problems and running too lean (to meet emission norms?). A common mod was to get European or Canadian FI & BMS units.

I would be wary of buying a first generation Indian FI bike. Let them sort out the learning curve and then I'll give them my money. Just my two rupees.
Old 21st February 2009, 16:12   #6
BHPian

Something to add:

My friend owns a RTR Fi. It's the third month of his ownership and his ECU has gone kaput. The folks at the service centre have placed an order for replacement which they say will take around a week to ten days.

What were the effects with the faulty ECU you ask? The engine used to shut off anywhere anytime!
Old 21st February 2009, 16:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
Something to add:

My friend owns a RTR Fi. It's the third month of his ownership and his ECU has gone kaput. The folks at the service centre have placed an order for replacement which they say will take around a week to ten days.

What were the effects with the faulty ECU you ask? The engine used to shut off anywhere anytime!
not maintaining minimum fuel quantity(3l) causes this problem. FI is a fantastic vehicle to own and beleive me it needs no tuning. Just like modern day cars, do you go the work shop to get it tuned????

Its no white elephant.
Old 21st February 2009, 18:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
not maintaining minimum fuel quantity(3l) causes this problem.
How do you explain it even on a tankful? And even at all levels of the fuel tank...

Quote:
FI is a fantastic vehicle to own and beleive me it needs no tuning. Just like modern day cars, do you go the work shop to get it tuned????
that the RTR Fi is a fantastic bike. I'd recommend it any day over a P-150/P-180

Quote:
Its no white elephant.
I never said that it's a white elephant. It's quite reliable and easy on the pocket.

The ECU thingy going kaput was determined by the authorized service center people. The reason why I mentioned it was only to underline the fact that many a times the flaws in the initial launches do get rectified gradually and that Fi is still relatively new on two wheels in India.

Quote:
... and beleive me it needs no tuning. Just like modern day cars, do you go the work shop to get it tuned????
I don't think that we need to tune it frequently part from the servicing cycles. Only in case you need to change the characteristic of the power delivery, which can even mean a more sprightly performance, I think ECU remaps help, if any. I'm not so sure, but do please correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 21st February 2009, 20:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
not maintaining minimum fuel quantity(3l) causes this problem.
Really? That's quite amusing and sounds exactly like something a cluless service center tech would tell you. This has to be a first, I have never heard of this excuse before; it's quite original! Did you bother asking him why it has to have 3 liters in the tank for an injector system to work?

I don't have an RTR and don't in any way mean to downplay its virtues. I am merely observing that TVS wouldn't be the first in failing to get FI working perfectly, Indian company or otherwise.
Old 22nd February 2009, 09:42   #10
BHPian

i dont think its true. i used to ride my pulsar dtsfi always below 2 litr in tank. when had a problem with my Fi
anyways guys we are here to discuss about the apache 180cc bike

back to the topic please

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Really? That's quite amusing and sounds exactly like something a cluless service center tech would tell you. This has to be a first, I have never heard of this excuse before; it's quite original! Did you bother asking him why it has to have 3 liters in the tank for an injector system to work?

I don't have an RTR and don't in any way mean to downplay its virtues. I am merely observing that TVS wouldn't be the first in failing to get FI working perfectly, Indian company or otherwise.
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:30   #11
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
the mighty BMW
"Mighty" BMW are quite irrelevant when it comes to motorcycles, though they are taking steps to rectify it. The J-4 (and Ducati) have had extremely reliable FI bikes for years. It's year 2009 not 2002.

As told to me by an engineer: the reason we do not get FI in India is not only cost, but that most bikes are air cooled. Running a very lean mixture with FI (for mileage) or burning more fuel (for power) will both cause a rise in temperatures, and managing that is difficult as it is for Indian heat and riding conditions (low speeds, high loads).

Liquid cooling helps, but then the initial price of the product increases so you might as well sell a larger capacity 'lazy' air-cooled engine with lower acquisition cost.

Old 22nd February 2009, 11:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smart2smart View Post
how far it is true that TVS in going to launch 180cc bike called "TVS Apache RTR 180 MENACE" ???

If yes when it will be lauching ?

Is it worth waiting for this bike instread going for Zma ??

guys share your info about this upcoming TVS product
It is true that they launching the RTR180 for sure maybe in couple of months.
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
As told to me by an engineer: the reason we do not get FI in India is not only cost, but that most bikes are air cooled. Running a very lean mixture with FI (for mileage) or burning more fuel (for power) will both cause a rise in temperatures, and managing that is difficult as it is for Indian heat and riding conditions (low speeds, high loads).
If the carbs can do it pretty good in Indian conditions on aircooled bikes then why can't a FI do it? I'm curious to know the reason why a FI can't manage an optimum AF ratio to maintain efficiency and correct engine temperature, by not running either too lean or rich!
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:47   #14
BHPian

i dont know if you have any budget constaints,
but the best buy in the segment available in our country is the R15 quite easily.
Go 4 it.
Old 22nd February 2009, 12:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Even Maruti A.S.Ss recommend five litres of fuel inside the Alto's fuel tank. This might be the reason why the TVS chaps ask people to have a minimum of 3 litres of the fuel inside the tank. I guess it has to do something with the fuel pump's working. Some BHPian well versed with FI could some along and clear the air about this.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks