Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2009, 09:40   #1
BHPian

TVS Fiero F2 Service Expenses

Hi,

I gave my 5 year old TVS Fiero F2 for service today. Over the past few months there was a metallic clicking sound from the engine. It used to occasionally misfire too. In the service center today (at Bike World, Jayanagar), the estimate given to me was Rs.5000! The service adviser told me that the engine needs overhauling.
This is the itemised estimate:
Engine Overhaul, Bearing, Cam shaft, Piston, Rocker: 5000
Engine Oil: 306
Brake Shoe: 150
Fork, Fork oil seal: 850

I have told him not to start any work until today evening. Please advice if the above looks acceptable. I should also mention that I have not experienced any drop in drivability or mileage over the past few months. The bike has run 23200 Kms.

Thanks,
NMA
Old 28th February 2009, 12:17   #2

Thats a bomb ,boss. Why dont you avoid these "Bike worlds" because the quality of service is not that good , where as the price qouted by him is very costly. Why dont you leave your vehicle at Zen motors near Uma Theatre ,Chamrajpet.These people have good knowledge of fiero s.
Old 28th February 2009, 14:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Hi,

I gave my 5 year old TVS Fiero F2 for service today. Over the past few months there was a metallic clicking sound from the engine. It used to occasionally misfire too. In the service center today (at Bike World, Jayanagar), the estimate given to me was Rs.5000! The service adviser told me that the engine needs overhauling.
This is the itemised estimate:
Engine Overhaul, Bearing, Cam shaft, Piston, Rocker: 5000
Engine Oil: 306
Brake Shoe: 150
Fork, Fork oil seal: 850

I have told him not to start any work until today evening. Please advice if the above looks acceptable. I should also mention that I have not experienced any drop in drivability or mileage over the past few months. The bike has run 23200 Kms.

Thanks,
NMA
Are you sure your bike needs an Engine rebuild so soon? 23,200 seems too less. Even Bajaj bikes are good for 30,000
And 5,000 seems like too much, The metallic clicking sound could be the tappets. All it may need is a tappet adjustment, and a good service
I would get an second opinion before anything esle.
Old 28th February 2009, 15:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sounds fishy!

Besides the engine, why are they recommending a fork replacement??

You should certainly seek second and mebbe even third opinions. Why dont you also try an authorised service centre?
Old 28th February 2009, 19:03   #5
BHPian

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinu_s View Post
Why dont you leave your vehicle at Zen motors near Uma Theatre ,Chamrajpet.These people have good knowledge of fiero s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
All it may need is a tappet adjustment, and a good service
I would get an second opinion before anything esle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Sounds fishy!

Besides the engine, why are they recommending a fork replacement??
dhinu, Gregory & Raccoon: Thank you for your replies. I had been to the service center sometime back to ask him to do only a basic service. Discovered there that he has already opened the engine! I had specifically told him not to touch anything until I said so. He showed me the clutch plate telling that it had worn out. The bike has been riden sedately all its life and I dont understand how the clutch can wear so soon. Another thing he told me was the crankshaft bearing had to be replaced. None of his explanations convinced me.
What is the impact if they assemble the engine back without doing anything (cost, anything else going wrong)? I will think of taking the bike to Zen motors as suggested by dhinu.

Thanks for the advice,
NMA
Old 1st March 2009, 21:05   #6
BHPian

Bike world is not a fishy place leave your bike there and trust them, arif the manager there is a very good person.
Old 1st March 2009, 21:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

why the hell would you need to replace a camshaft at 23K?

Get a 2nd opinion.

There is no impact if they put it back right without trying to sabotage you bike.

Last edited by Mpower : 1st March 2009 at 21:11.
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
Bike world is not a fishy place leave your bike there and trust them, arif the manager there is a very good person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
why the hell would you need to replace a camshaft at 23K?
Get a 2nd opinion.
I am interacting with Mr.Arif with regard to my bike's service. But the replacements suggested by him seemed to be too much considering the age and state of my bike, as also concurred by a few members here. I will get the bike back tomorrow morning. Will post an update about its condition soon.

Thanks,
NMA
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:10   #9
BHPian

Yes buddy, the expenses mentioned could be true because i restored my TVS Scooty ES which was rotting for two years & had completed merely 5000kms on tacho but all my engine parts was broken,loud sound would come while riding it,for the last three weeks my scooty was overhauled and i spent nearly Rs.5160/- on it which includes almost newly assembled engine which includes some new parts and others that i sourced it second hand like the gear box(new = Rs.2200/- ,seconds one = 1100/-).CDI coil etc.
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
dhinu, Gregory & Raccoon: Thank you for your replies. I had been to the service center sometime back to ask him to do only a basic service. Discovered there that he has already opened the engine! I had specifically told him not to touch anything until I said so. He showed me the clutch plate telling that it had worn out. The bike has been riden sedately all its life and I dont understand how the clutch can wear so soon. Another thing he told me was the crankshaft bearing had to be replaced. None of his explanations convinced me.
What is the impact if they assemble the engine back without doing anything (cost, anything else going wrong)? I will think of taking the bike to Zen motors as suggested by dhinu.

Thanks for the advice,
NMA
They very fact that they opened your engine in spite of your EXPLICIT instructions not to do so makes them VERY fishy, unprofessional and untrustworthy.

I would not want to get any work done from such a place.

Whats most intresting is according to you, your bike had no problems. And you certainly should not attempt to fix whats not broken... ESPECIALLY when dealing with Indian mechanics...!

If things like your clutch were indeed worn, you would have been able to tell quite easily! So chances seem very good that they are showing you some old worn clutch of somebody else's bike.

The problem now is, even if ask them to fix up your engine as it is, you'll never know if they are replacing the same parts, etc., or sabotatging it in any other way.

I feel you should make as much "noise" about this as possible. Dont take it lying down.
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Whats most intresting is according to you, your bike had no problems. And you certainly should not attempt to fix whats not broken... ESPECIALLY when dealing with Indian mechanics...!
The problem now is, even if ask them to fix up your engine as it is, you'll never know if they are replacing the same parts, etc., or sabotatging it in any other way.
The only problems I wanted to get solved were the engine noise and the misfiring as I had mentioned before. I will take a call tomorrow once I get the vehicle back.
Quote:
This is exactly what I am scared of now...

Thanks,
NMA
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:14   #12
BHPian

i had spent more

Hi,
My suzuki fiero 2001 model has run 75000kms. Last 1 year i was in bangalore and my brother with his room mates spoiled the bike to the core.

I spent around 15k to get back its old smoothness.

I did service in Castrol bike zone.

If you have serviced your bike on regular intervals i don't think such expenditure is really required.so check with some other bike mechanics about the same.
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:39   #13
BHPian

Fork oil seal will not cost 850, cam shaft and valves with head facing is recomened, clutch plates are about 150, engine oil about 200. you need help call me on 9886992036
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

^^^He has mentioned "Fork, Fork oil seal: 850"! That means Fork + Fork oil seals!! If its Rs. 850 just for the 2 seals, its a total rip off!

I got the fork oil changed, both seals and rubber casing replaced for a fraction of that amount, at the TVS dealer.

Most Viewed