Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 22:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Still not able to attract atleast my attention, and very soon i am also following Bajaj way, adding anyther 50CC to my Rajdoot 350 with US RD400 barrels
"Sigh" get up Indian Bike manufacturers, its high time to launch some serious high power bikes rather than 10-20cc addons.
Its called SIP.
Systematic increase in profits. 20-50cc at a time.
Old 13th March 2009, 09:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Still not able to attract atleast my attention, and very soon i am also following Bajaj way, adding anyther 50CC to my Rajdoot 350 with US RD400 barrels
"Sigh" get up Indian Bike manufacturers, its high time to launch some serious high power bikes rather than 10-20cc addons.
Guys Guys Guys.
Though I share the frustration of HH and the Bajajs not launching what enthusiasts will consider "real" bikes, I will not curse them for it.

After all these companies are out there to make money and that too after providing what we call "Value". Now value for most enthusiasts will begin at 50 bhp plus but what percentage of the Indian two wheeler buyer are we???

When you make marketing decisions, you have to identify "WHOM" you consider your customers and "WHAT" you would like to offer and what "VALUE" are you offering the customer when he buys your product.

For example: A Timex costing Rs. 800 has a great value for someone who "NEEDS" a cheap pen. I personally "DESIRE" or "WANT" an Omega Seamaster worth Rs. 1.35 Lakh and a particular Mr. Vijay Mallaya might not think twice before he "DEMANDS" a Piaget worth Rs. 10 Lac from Switzerland.

In all three cases, the manufacturers have identified different customers and gave them what they wanted.

These companies, believe me are more than willing to if the market promises them the volumes to justify the investment. For example, now that the baby Ninja may finally happen, I wonder how many will sell and as these are going to be imports, it will be bearable to the companies as they are not going to invest much in getting them here. Imaging if HH or Bajaj were to set up a multi million dollar production facility in India for such bikes, then my dear friends, if volumes dont come, they have had it.

Moreover the companies are answerable to the shareholders and the only number they look at is the bottom line. And as for the enthusiasts, Yamaha and Honda are already offering some good products. I wont mind a Fireblade myself, but you see, neither do I have the money nor does my country have the roads to make my dream come true!!

Again sorry for a boring lecture!!!
Old 13th March 2009, 11:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Also, the improvements to the same platform between the 02 180s and the 08 200s are quite something! Reduced NVH, increased performance and FE - as someone suggested they *have* been making the same package better, rather than launch bigger bikes. The Ninja will be a major step forward - though yes, BAL has been kinda sleeping on the market front for a while. I suspect the huge effort that goes into financing big deals is telling on them.
Old 13th March 2009, 12:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
i dont see the point in having a 150, 180, 200 and 220 all looking pretty much the same (besides the 220)

the 20 cc upgrades arent even making a big enough difference

instead they should if they want keep the 150cc for the guys who are that bothered about FE the 200 with the oil cooler and remove the 220 and bring in a new line with a 250 cc all FI.

rev
i still think P180 is best pulsar till date, but again they ruined it with long wheelbase and stuff ..... now with latest upgrade it looks more stupid
Old 13th March 2009, 15:50   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
first thing ,bajaj must do is to refine it's Engines- reduce NVH.next ,the life of pulsar engine is real low.after around 10000 kms ,the bike starts to lose power.Why DON'T Bajaj does some research on metallurgy-as in having better ,long lasting engines without performance degradation(hint:HH Karizma).Do this ,instead of cosmetic upgrades and fuel injection.
You cannot blatantly blame all the Bajaj engines. There are lots of badly maintained smoking Pulsars out there. And don't construct an opinion based on those bikes. OK, I admit that Bajaj bikes needs more refinement & low NVH.

And, the Pulsar's engines will not feel underpowered at 10,000 KMS. That's pure rubbish.
Old 13th March 2009, 19:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
first thing ,bajaj must do is to refine it's Engines- reduce NVH.next ,the life of pulsar engine is real low.after around 10000 kms ,the bike starts to lose power.Why DON'T Bajaj does some research on metallurgy-as in having better ,long lasting engines without performance degradation(hint:HH Karizma).Do this ,instead of cosmetic upgrades and fuel injection.
I have a classic p180 from 2002. The bikes been sparingly used in the last 2 years and has done 45000kms till date and she still feels like new. Take her out wheneven im in the mood for some wheelies and stopies and she performs like crazy. The power is still awesome. Agreed its not the most refined engine but engine life wise its right up there with the best!
Old 13th March 2009, 20:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Refinement and NVH apart, the Pulsar engine is as good as anyone else in the market if not better. I know a guy who has completed the iron butt 24 hours on a Pulsar 150 with more than 1 lakh kms on the odo.
I attended a press conferece when P220 was launched where Bajaj mentioned that they have tested the Pulsar engine to destruction. Apparantly the engine is tested by Bajaj running at redline constantly for 14 hours without a break and without self destructing itself.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 13th March 2009 at 20:13.
Old 13th March 2009, 22:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I attended a press conferece when P220 was launched where Bajaj mentioned that they have tested the Pulsar engine to destruction. Apparantly the engine is tested by Bajaj running at redline constantly for 14 hours without a break and without self destructing itself.
I had heard/read something like - the first Pulsar engine blew after 4 hours at redline in test and now the same engine does 4 days continuous at redline.
Old 14th March 2009, 08:27   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
You cannot blatantly blame all the Bajaj engines. There are lots of badly maintained smoking Pulsars out there. And don't construct an opinion based on those bikes. OK, I admit that Bajaj bikes needs more refinement & low NVH.

And, the Pulsar's engines will not feel underpowered at 10,000 KMS. That's pure rubbish.
completely agree with you. my p150 has done 45k+ already. the engine is still untouched. it runs on the original piston and i haven't opened the engine yet. it smokes out many p180s in my college since they are maintained horribly by the owners here. ill-maintained pulsars cant be referred to while deciding about the pulsar engine. i dont consider such people as bikers who dont even care a little for their rides. as far i am concerned, i really love the pulsar's grunt and i do find the uni really boring even if it has the most refined engine in the market. everyone has different taste afterall
Old 15th March 2009, 21:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

I had a Pulsar 180 before going for Bullet.I know how it was coughing and vibrating after 45K kms(when you are overweight @105kgs especially).this is not a generalization.but found with garage fellows that this is common with "Indigenous" bajaj Pulsar bikes.still a valid thing.Note that ,I am not bashing any brand.I loved pulsar during it's ripe time.
Old 16th March 2009, 11:06   #41
BHPian

I've had a P180 classic since 2003 and have done around 27K km till date. I agree that the NVH is below par and the gearbox is a pain as it keeps shifting out of 1st at the most inopportune time. But, it is too much of a stretch to call it junk, as it has been extremely reliable so far and still feels like it has quite a few years of life left.

That said, the Pulsar has definitely lost out over the last couple of years as newer fresher competitors have outflanked it from all sides. It hasn't helped that BAL has completely muddled the marketing message by having so many different models that look the same.
Old 17th March 2009, 09:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

there is a difference in quality of pulsar classic and latest Pulsars.
Old 24th April 2009, 18:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

Check out the latest advert guys

Old 24th April 2009, 20:06   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushar1985 View Post
Guys,

Sincere apologies if I have offended anyone here. I was a big "FAN" of the pulsar line up, until they started going the Microsoft way, coming up with umpteen versions of their products , mostly cosmetic, with puny 20 Cc upgrades and hence lost their edge on the market. Lately BAL has started getting on my nerves, what with all the hoopla they created over the Ninja 250, and now this? Seems like BAL is going nowhere. IMAO they're just another <hindi proverb> "Kolhu ka bail" going round and round the same path.

The fact that they came up with this after Yammie's FZ release shows how arrogant BAL had become, and it took Yam to finally wake'em up.

P.S I'd rather die with all my hair intact than live till 50, BALD
whether you like it or not, the fact will remain that this is what sells. besides it's not like the other guys have halos on their heads and are coming out with true blue performance oriented bikes. and even if they do it's guys like you who after shouting themselves hoarse will still buy 150cc or max 200cc bikes and won't spend 2+ lakhs on a bike.
Old 3rd June 2009, 15:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Latest news From Bajaj

Quote:
Bajaj Auto bike sales down by 8% in May
BS Reporter / Mumbai June 2, 2009, 13:31 IST

Sales of Pune-based Bajaj Auto, India's second largest bike maker continued to slide as the company announced today a decline of 8 per cent in sales of motorcycles for the month of May.

The decline comes at a time when rivals Hero Honda posted a more than 20 per cent growth in the same month. Bajaj Auto marked sales of 165,049 units in May as against 179,649 units sold in the corresponding month of the previous year.

"The new Pulsar 150 and 180 have been very well received and consequently the production of the Pulsars is being progressively increased to 50,000 units per month", said Rajiv Bajaj, managing director, Bajaj Auto in a statement.

"Aiding this volume build-up would be the launch of the fastest Pulsar yet in June 2009, also expected to be the fastest motorcycle made in India", he added.

Exports of the company also witnessed a dip of 3 per cent at 58,682 units as compared to 60,215 units posted in the same month a year ago.

Source
Fastest motorcycle made in India?? I hope he is talking about June 2009

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks