Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2013, 00:40   #46
BHPian

Re: About motorcycle oil filters; esp. HH CBZ-Xtreme

Looking at the Indian conditions and mentality of Indian bike users where they want to extract the last moolah they put in their bikes, keeping the strainer and engine oil filter inside the clutch cover is just too much.
This happens when foregin technology is brought into our country and not modified to suit Indian conditions. Same is the problem found in many cars too.
Apache's filter costs 30 Rs and can be replaced just by removing 3 bolts and you dont need a gasket or anything else.
Old 6th August 2013, 16:49   #47
BHPian

My 2004 Honda CBF-150 Unicorn has run 40,000 Kms. I have no idea if ever the oil strainer was cleaned of debris/particles or whether the Centrifugal oil filter/seperator was replaced.

My previous oil change revealed that fine particles were coming out along with the oil.

Could the oil strainer be so choked that solid stuff is escaping it and settling in the sump?
Old 7th August 2013, 01:23   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

After 40,000 km I suspect a great deal of debris has accumulated in the Centrifugal Oil "Filter" (separator).

As with anything with a fixed size, there is a limit to the amount of material that can be contained in a COF.
As the material accumulates and reduces the effective size of the inner volume in the separator it becomes less efficient.

After a sufficient amount of debris has been pasted to the outer area of the rotating housing there may be almost no centrifugal force to cause the heavier particles to to collect there so the oil will pass thru uncleaned.
This is likely to be the cause of the fine particles you noticed in the dirty oil that was removed.

As I'm sure you've found after reading thru this topic, the COF does not require replacing.
After the separator is exposed, removing the screws that retain the cover allows all of the crud to be scraped out. Once this is done and the cover is replaced it will operate as good as new.

The oil strainer has very likely also become partially plugged with the larger particles it is supposed to stop so while the COF is being serviced, cleaning the screen is easily done and doing so will increase the total oil flow thru the engine.

If you don't feel capable of removing the side cover and cleaning the strainer and the filter, find a good mechanic and be very specific about your desire to have the screen and filter removed, cleaned and replaced.
If he doesn't know what your talking about, find another mechanic.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 7th August 2013 at 01:24.
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:30   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Step 12: Good to go for at least another 10K-12K kms!

The bike indeed looks happy with clean insides![/b]

Hope this helps in building the thread.

Regards,
Saket
Thanks for the info , sorry to bump up an old thread . Need some information here . Once we remove the engine covers and clean the insides , don't we have to add a bit more oil since you have drained all the oil ?? Or is 900 ml the maximum capacity of stunner ?

What oil does honda recommend for stunner ? mineral or full synthetic ?
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:40   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Thanks for the info , sorry to bump up an old thread . Need some information here . Once we remove the engine covers and clean the insides , don't we have to add a bit more oil since you have drained all the oil ?? Or is 900 ml the maximum capacity of stunner ?
What oil does honda recommend for stunner ? mineral or full synthetic ?
The oil in centrifugal filter was not drained. 900 ml is the oil quantity required while a drain & refill. I guess the centrifugal filter can hold at least 100 ml of fuel (not sure though).

Honda recommends their own oil (mineral) as with case with most other manufacturers for two reasons:
1. To sell their own brand
2. To keep the maintenance cost of their bikes low. A litre of Honda engine oil costs about 250/- bucks which is good for 1800-2000 kms.

Since, I have been using fully synthetic for quite some time now, I am sure the bike is loving it. I get an FE of 60-65 in city consistently which shows that the engine is in pink health even after 20k kms. My drain interval is ~ 6K kms.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 12:42   #51
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Adding my 2 bits.

I own a 2004 Caliber 115 (Hodibaba) and it still rides like a gem.
It has a separate section for the oil filter like in the Apache bike, will try to upload the pic.

I have religiously serviced the bike every 5000kms and always make a point to replace the oil filter even though many a times my mechanic says it is not needed. the initial color on the oil filter is coffee brown when new and turns almost black when it is replaced. I even went to the extent of purchasing couple of extras as the bike is not in production.

I have read online and consulted senior mechanics from the Bajaj Service Centers and all of them have shared the same opinion that the filters should be replaced during the servicing for keeping the engine and overall health of the bike in good condition.

cheers !

Last edited by Jimmy_u : 5th February 2014 at 12:46.
Old 15th March 2016, 07:19   #52

Hello everyone, a query from a newbie to the forum.

How exactly is the oil cooled in the Hero/Honda engines, i have read through threads and there are so many talking about which oil is best and how to clean the oil filter/strainer every now and then.

I have almost 8 years HH passion that i bought new & a month back i bought a used 08 Unicorn, both bikes are running great apart from oil leakage issue in my Passion.

The oil leak issue in the Passion started after i started revving the bike hard and used to cover distance of 22 kms in Bangalore in 20-24mins(yes, twist it all the way and reach 80, only early mornings, mostly ring road commute).

This led to the engine oil leaking from the engine LHS behind the alternator and also from the joint on the engine head and bore body.

I realised a little later about the oil leak starting only after my speed runs and also the oil no matter which brand would lose its smoothness once i revved the engine all the way up. i assumed this was happening due to the oil getting hot, but how can this be mitigated, this query has been bogging me since a few months.

i read through, watched few take apart videos, oil change videos and guides, nowhere is the mention of how the oil is getting cooled in the engine.

I have figured that the oil is once out of the centrifugal filter flows through the RHS clutch cover side of then engine and then flows to the engine through slots and then a cavity in the engine body.

Has anyone tried finding any way of keeping the oil cool by any innovative ways?

adding links to few pics that would make a bit easier for understanding the oil flow.

Attached Thumbnails
About motorcycle oil filters; esp. HH CBZ-Xtreme-hero-honda-hunk.jpg  

About motorcycle oil filters; esp. HH CBZ-Xtreme-honda-stunner.jpeg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks