Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 17:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Plastic Stick inside the Oil Sump via the dipstick

In my Honda Unicorn some kids inserted a hollow plastic shaft (Pen) about 3 inches long inside the engine oil sump vie the engine oil dipstick inlet, I tried to remove it but it went deep inside the Oil Sump.
I have driven the bike for around 50 km & there doesn’t seems to be any problem yet, but what are the future consequences of a foreign plastic body inside the oil sump. Will it impact the oil pump /lubrication system ? I don’t want to open the engine as it has done just 10,000Km.
Your views & suggestion are welcome
Old 19th March 2009, 18:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

Get it out asap! not a good idea to have plastic inside gear box and remember its a 4 stroke and hence your engine lubrication also works with this.

If the plastic is not stuck, it might float to the top if a competent mech can fill oil to brim and fish out! drain oil to recommended level before starting.

Otherwise drain and see if the bit comes out.

3 rd option dismantle the engine cover and fish out, hopefully you wouldnt need to dismantle the whole engine for this. Unicorn experts throw light please.
Old 19th March 2009, 19:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

You are not bad off... i saw a discover which had sand put into the engine through the oil filler! The complete engine had to be overhauled.

Next time tighten the oil filler very tight using a plier. Just so that a casual moron won't be able to do any damage to your bike.
Old 19th March 2009, 19:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

do what it takes to have this plastic piece removed, or your engine wont last the next 5000kms, if this gets stuck in your pipe that lubricates the cam then say bye bye to the engine and camshaft, its chain the sprocket and what not!!!
Old 19th March 2009, 20:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

I've always wondered why bikes have the oil filler cap designed in such a way that there is minimal protection from vandals.

Cars atleast have some protection as the engine bay is secured by the bonnet lid. Why can't bikes have a small key operated lid for the engine oil reservoir only?

While I was in college, my classmate's bike was vandalised in a similar way. Only that it was worse. The vandal had put around 5-6 small iron balls (from some ball bearings) into the engine oil reservoir. What happened to the bike is a different question altogether.

Like mentioned in the earlier posts, tighten the dipstick with a set of pliers so that its tight enough to resist being tampered with bare hands.
Old 20th March 2009, 01:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
You are not bad off... i saw a discover which had sand put into the engine through the oil filler! The complete engine had to be overhauled.

Next time tighten the oil filler very tight using a plier. Just so that a casual moron won't be able to do any damage to your bike.
Gosh... you have some confidence in indian plastics! Are you sure you wont succeed in breaking the plastic cap or maybe just its head or something... and then the rest of it will be stuck on the engine... then you'll have to work on somehow having that removed... lol!

That said, this dip stick thingy is really, really the best way to vandalise someone's vehicle! The thought of someone doing it has scared me for years! Gawd knows when we will see more secure bikes...
Old 20th March 2009, 09:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Gosh... you have some confidence in indian plastics! Are you sure you wont succeed in breaking the plastic cap or maybe just its head or something... and then the rest of it will be stuck on the engine... then you'll have to work on somehow having that removed... lol!

That said, this dip stick thingy is really, really the best way to vandalise someone's vehicle! The thought of someone doing it has scared me for years! Gawd knows when we will see more secure bikes...
Yes very very much! When it's being tightened up the cap top twists so you know when to stop overcooking it. I have been doing this in my kaizma and my RX since i ever had them. Bullet had a metal cap, bayonet fitting. Bestest thing would be to tighten up the cap and safetywire it. So if someone manages to tamper with it they have some work in front of them and if they do it you'll definitely know it before the engine is started.
And if it breaks it will come off without much trouble and worst case clutch case have to be opened.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th March 2009 at 17:47. Reason: as requested
Old 20th March 2009, 10:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Take the bike to service center if you are not able to remove it. This is dangerous for the bike. No exceptions or excuses. Your engine like is at risk.
But how did the kids manage that ? Ask those kid/s dad/s to pay for the damage and also ask for a temporary vehicle if your bike take more than sufficient time to get repaired.

About tightening by pliers. Its of no use, because the limitation is the cap itself. Tighten more and it will develop cracks. Tighten it just slightly less than crack tight, it can be opened by hand also. Put a cloth on the cap, twist with all might and you are done, the cap can be removed. Over tighten with pliers and the cap will get damaged and more open-able easily.
I have tried all this with Caliber. Even in my Zeus, I have done this. The quality of plastic parts offered in Indian two wheelers are pretty bad. It would just take a determined hand to damage anything plastic.
Old 20th March 2009, 10:53   #9
BHPian

Like Sankar said, tightening the oil sump cap with a plier would do it good enough. You will need a plier to open it. Also, the oil sump cap is a pretty tough plastic - atleast on my apaches.
Old 20th March 2009, 12:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Like Sankar said, tightening the oil sump cap with a plier would do it good enough. You will need a plier to open it. Also, the oil sump cap is a pretty tough plastic - atleast on my apaches.
Yes man, you tighten it with a plier then you need plier to loosen it. It seems Apaches, Karizmas and RXes have good quality plastic oil filler caps

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th March 2009 at 17:48. Reason: As requested
Old 20th March 2009, 12:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i always do that with my bikes, once i have seen the same sand case with one CBZ(not mine) :( after that i always tighten the dipstick with plier, have broken the dipstick once on my CBZ but that doesn't cost much so no problem, put several layer of cloth on the dipstick and then use the plier otherwise you will end up with plier marks on dipstick .....

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th March 2009 at 17:49. Reason: Removing the ideas on how to harm an engine, hope you understand. Thanks
Old 20th March 2009, 12:40   #12
BHPian

TJ,

I would give you a very simple solution in order to avoid such incidents in future. Buy a good Motorcycle Cover(with a lock) and shield your bike with it, everytime you park.

Believe me, it helps a lot.

thanks,
Old 20th March 2009, 14:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Guys for all your views/ideas and comments, today went to a local mechanic , opened up the clutch case & got the Plastic Pen removed out .

Thankfully there is no sign of broken/shredded plastic inside the clutch case & oil looked clean. As of now it looks like there is no damage to any of the engine components.

Guys now I realized that how easy is it to ruin a bike , just pour some sand, salt, water etc etc via the dipstick vent & voila you inflict the maximum damage where it hurts the most.
Old 20th March 2009, 14:22   #14
Team-BHP Support

Just Curious.
What did you do about the little imps who caused all this trouble?

Or don't you know who they are.
Old 20th March 2009, 15:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes very very much! When it's being tightened up the cap top twists so you know when to stop overcooking it. I have been doing this in my kaizma and my RX since i ever had them. Bullet had a metal cap, bayonet fitting. Bestest thing would be to tighten up the cap and safetywire it. So if someone manages to tamper with it they have some work in front of them and if they do it you'll definitely know it before the engine is started.
And if it breaks it will come off without much trouble and worst case clutch case have to be opened.
Well, my Shogun has a rubber kinda cap(no dip stick). If I tighten it too much, Im sure the old rubber will crack or something. And I don't wanna tour the country for its spares... lol! And the CBZ... I really don't feel too confident about the plastic... I'm sure it will crack if tightened too much. So both are soft targets, I guess...

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th March 2009 at 17:50. Reason: removing ideas on how to destroy engine, hope you understand. thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks