Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 09:41   #16
BHPian

Anybody here have fitted disk brakes for the rear wheel.
is it difficult or many modifications needed.
Old 20th November 2009, 09:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Rear wheel disc brake

If you're good at fabrication, its a fairly simple job. I've seen some using the same hub, installing the disc onto the right hand side of the hub and mounting the caliper on the swingarm with a fabricated bracket.

Never rode one, but the setup should work. And if its not strong, then either the caliper bracket can fail or the mounting poing of the disc on the hub can fail.
Old 20th November 2009, 10:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield | Disc Brake
Old 20th November 2009, 10:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
IIRC, 500 got bigger drums and hence you have better braking power. Is it still the same?

yeah...but what are the technicalities involved in changing the drums ?

has anyone done it ?
Old 20th November 2009, 10:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't the current lot of Standard 350s already have the bigger drum?
Old 20th November 2009, 10:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Doesn't the current lot of Standard 350s already have the bigger drum?
I have no idea...did not check the specs.

Have rode mine less than 300 km, and all of it under 50 kmph. Braking seems to be working fine at this stage, at at this speeds you can hardly gauge the effectiveness.
Old 20th November 2009, 11:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

I rode many older bullet 350s and even a newer Electra with the larger drum, and the front drum was pathetic. They may have as well added a bicycle brake. But the rear brake was very powerful. The rear brake effectiveness is good on RH-shift Enfields because the linkage is quite simple and direct. In the LH-shift, the leverage of the linkages is decreased leading to not much effective braking. Which is why in the newer frames/hub (Classic/Thunderbird), they've got the brakes onto the right side, sote a have a direct linkage from brake to pedal.

Last edited by Gordon : 20th November 2009 at 11:11.
Old 20th November 2009, 11:16   #23
BHPian

Oh yes, the rear brakes seem to be far better than my Machismo, stopping which was primarily dependent on front disc, with whatever support was offered by rear drum.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:27   #24
BHPian

I got the Nerul dealer to fit a front disk brake as an aftermarket accessory on my 1990 model CI 350. The total cost inclusive of parts and labour came to nearly Rs 7000, but this was some eight years ago. It still works great, but on the second day after the fitment one of my front fork sleeves developed a crack and had to be replaced. I expect it was the first time the forks were subjected to such a braking force -- the earlier drum only just served to keep the bike from rolling when stationary; it was quite useless otherwise!
Old 20th November 2009, 14:47   #25
BHPian

Edsel, I share the same opinion of the front brakes. But most Bullet owners vehemently deny any such shortcoming of their steeds front brakes! You are one of the exceptions I have come across!
Old 20th November 2009, 15:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_m5_titus View Post
most Bullet owners vehemently deny any such shortcoming of their steeds front brakes! You are one of the exceptions I have come across!
Of course, my Bullet used to have the old 6" drum brakes in front. For all the stopping it did, its liners could well have been made from "holy cow poo" as an old article in a foreign auto mag put it.

I'm told the 7" twin-leading front drum brake on later models work decently if maintained well.
Old 20th November 2009, 16:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
...But how is the caliper mounted onto the fork? On the website its mentioned "Note: The Disc brake kit is not a retro fit for Thunderbird, ...
Bikes with 'Stay' mount front mud-guards can have the kit as bolt-on fit at the fork bottom stay mounts. Newer drum T'bird's, Electra's, Mmo's didn't had this set up hence need a new fork end, not included in kit.
Quote:
... Which is why in the newer frames/hub (Classic/Thunderbird), they've got the brakes onto the right side, sote a have a direct linkage from brake to pedal.
Good for braking effect though RE doesn't seem do it intentionally. They had to shift rear sprocket to right side for matching UC Engine spk't, so along went the integrated brake drum.
RE's drum brake is one Bullet thing across all models be it 1950 or 2010 it "performs" the same. Once i knocked off a scooter uncle at petrol bunk as front drum didn't hold to stop rolling while pushing to get to filling point.

Last edited by Rennjit : 20th November 2009 at 16:43.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:53   #28
BHPian

Rear disk Brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Rear wheel disc brake

If you're good at fabrication, its a fairly simple job. I've seen some using the same hub, installing the disc onto the right hand side of the hub and mounting the caliper on the swingarm with a fabricated bracket.

Never rode one, but the setup should work. And if its not strong, then either the caliper bracket can fail or the mounting poing of the disc on the hub can fail.
Found this on the net Royal Enfield Zone

The whole kit costs 7.5k

So Gordon can we go with this set up.

Most Viewed