Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 09:28   #136
BHPian

Re: Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
If you have a CDI ignition check the CDI switch below the fuel tank. Open it and blow some air, i have faced the same problem but it always goes away when i blow some air in the CDI switch because through that switch all the current flows in the bike.
Dear ricky its TCI 2009 electra 5s ,so what you pointed out is completely out of question .BTW,suggest something else .
Old 20th August 2011, 09:35   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

It is most difficult to say.
I am sure you know the likes and dislikes of your bike better than anyone does.

Did you leave the fuel cock turned on? Some motorcycles which use a carburetor will develop a sticky float valve that can cause the engine to be flooded. Is this possible?

If so, holding the throttle wide open and kicking over the engine a few times to blow out the excess fuel will help.

You mentioned that it had spark so that rules out your accidentally bumping the "kill switch" on the handlebar and probably rules out a defective or blown fuse.
You might check your battery voltage by turning on your headlight. If it glows dimly it would indicate a low charge. Also, make sure your headlight is off when your trying to start the bike. Without the engine running it needs all of the battery power it can get to energize the coil.

If you have a new spark plug you could try it. Sometimes a spark plug will look good and even snap a spark when the plug is removed from the engine. With the engines compression in the cylinder when the sparkplug is installed it takes much more voltage to create the spark. If the sparkplug gap is too great or there is an internal break down of the conductor thru the insulator to the sparkplugs tip they will sometimes refuse to spark.

As I'm sure you know, if an engine has fuel, compression and spark at the right time it should start.
Beyond this about the only thing I can offer is my wishing you good luck.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 12:44   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
... check the CDI switch below the fuel tank. ..
You sure its a factory fit one? could see no such in stock wiring diagram.
iirc only older Std's had two, for main & ign.

@ blueblooded; If spark, compression is good its down to fueling. See for a wet carb, try choke/ throttle a bit. Also water across wiring terminal blocks can make the bike behave funny.
Old 20th August 2011, 12:52   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
It is most difficult to say.
I am sure you know the likes and dislikes of your bike better than anyone does.

Did you leave the fuel cock turned on? Some motorcycles which use a carburetor will develop a sticky float valve that can cause the engine to be flooded. Is this possible?

If so, holding the throttle wide open and kicking over the engine a few times to blow out the excess fuel will help.

You mentioned that it had spark so that rules out your accidentally bumping the "kill switch" on the handlebar and probably rules out a defective or blown fuse.
You might check your battery voltage by turning on your headlight. If it glows dimly it would indicate a low charge. Also, make sure your headlight is off when your trying to start the bike. Without the engine running it needs all of the battery power it can get to energize the coil.

If you have a new spark plug you could try it. Sometimes a spark plug will look good and even snap a spark when the plug is removed from the engine. With the engines compression in the cylinder when the sparkplug is installed it takes much more voltage to create the spark. If the sparkplug gap is too great or there is an internal break down of the conductor thru the insulator to the sparkplugs tip they will sometimes refuse to spark.

As I'm sure you know, if an engine has fuel, compression and spark at the right time it should start.
Beyond this about the only thing I can offer is my wishing you good luck.
Thanx jim ,Finally it has started .I changed the spark plug and re adjusted the carb settings using both air mixture screw and idle screw.
I know not what worked but its running though i find some loss of power .
I drove for 10kms in bumper to bumper traffic and now its starting in one kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post

@ blueblooded; If spark, compression is good its down to fueling. See for a wet carb, try choke/ throttle a bit. Also water across wiring terminal blocks can make the bike behave funny.
Old 20th August 2011, 13:34   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Yes rennjit my 2002 RE TB has a CDI ignition. There are only two types of ignition CDI and TCI. The difference between both is CDI is not dependent on battery to start the bike whereas TCI is.
Old 20th August 2011, 17:04   #141
BHPian

@ ricky_1605; ah, i know of diff ign systems but one can't be sure about RE. I asked about your post -
Quote:
If you have a CDI ignition check the CDI switch below the fuel tank.
thats new to me, Cdi T'birds (or Machismo) had an extra switch? Can you pls post a pic.

Last edited by Rennjit : 20th August 2011 at 17:06.
Old 25th September 2011, 16:03   #142
BHPian

mikuni vm34 carb for the bullet

hi all ,
am looking to replace my RE std 500's carb with a mikuni vm34. only problem is its availability. any idea where i can get this. pls help, am from mumbai.

deepak
Old 25th September 2011, 16:59   #143
BHPian

Re: mikuni vm34 carb for the bullet

I am also searching for a 34mm carb for my P220 M. Found places out of India and carbs costing between 9000-13500.
Old 25th September 2011, 20:04   #144
BHPian

vm 34 is very big for a bullet 500 with 28mm inlet port IMO. I have a TM32 on my bullet 500 with good results only it runs very rich and I am still working on it. TM32 is available on 20north.com for Rs.10818
Old 26th September 2011, 00:11   #145
BHPian

yup,
but if you jet it high and correctly, the 34 works like a dream. power output is amazing... pls let me know if you find one anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Slow View Post
vm 34 is very big for a bullet 500 with 28mm inlet port IMO. I have a TM32 on my bullet 500 with good results only it runs very rich and I am still working on it. TM32 is available on 20north.com for Rs.10818
Old 26th September 2011, 00:12   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I am also searching for a 34mm carb for my P220 M. Found places out of India and carbs costing between 9000-13500.

where in india? can you please send me details. i do not mind spending the extra buck and i need 2 so some haggling can reduce costs ..

please help.
Old 26th September 2011, 01:59   #147
BHPian

Im saying OUT of India, not inside.
Old 26th September 2011, 13:17   #148
BHPian

VM 34 is available on 20north.com for Rs.8035. If you search more may be you will find it cheaper. Also can you tell me where you got this idea of fitting VM34, I am also interested.
Old 26th September 2011, 18:44   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Slow View Post
VM 34 is available on 20north.com for Rs.8035. If you search more may be you will find it cheaper. Also can you tell me where you got this idea of fitting VM34, I am also interested.
Not sure if this one is genuine. Getting VM34 is not a big problem, but getting genuine is surely.
Old 26th September 2011, 18:47   #150
BHPian

Guys despite of multiple attempts in tuning, on engine retard my LB misfires on non stock silencer. I tried goldstar, goldstar with glasswool, megafone, and now i have custom made mini goldstar. specially in 2-3 gear on throttle release that fat fat sound is bound to come. any specific remedy for this?

Most Viewed