Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 22:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Cool! bblost's analysis was spot on

Pads, cleaning them would usually sort out the squealing. Pads must've glazed.
Old 26th March 2009, 11:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Bomi, the piston seems fine since I am not losing any oil. And read that if the piston is gone, then white smoke appears. There isnt any white smoke.

No oil on spark plug or exhaust detected.

However, the mech did exactly that. Was listening carefully to the engine. I tried the same and I'm afraid there is noise coming from it. A grating noise. Is it a grave issue? Any idea what it'd cost to replace the bearings?
The grating noise signifies that your big-end bearing is gone/going. Changing it requires opening the entire engine so make sure you go to a good mechanic or authorized service centre. Years ago Enfield used to used NORMA bearings which were crap. Mine wore out in 3000 kms. I had replaced them with original SKF bearings and never face any problems thereafter. But my experience was in the 80s - parts could be different now. Another thing - the Bullet does not like new fangled engine oils. Stick to the specs recommended by the manufacturer.
Old 26th March 2009, 11:15   #18
Team-BHP Support

Great that the problem is solved.

But the credit for that analysis must go to the
Quote:
Originally Posted by shldn View Post
Check the rubber manifolds from the air filter to the carb and from the carb to the engine block.

A crack or cut in the manifold may cause this problem.
Team-Bhp Rocks.
Old 26th March 2009, 11:41   #19
BANNED

Ahh.. the manifolds. Neglected parts no doubt.

Nice one there shldn and bblost.

Get new pads.
Old 26th March 2009, 12:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Okay some pointers and questions:

- I put Honda engine oil. The mech said that its of good quality and will keep the engine cooler.

- I did not change the rubber from the filter to the carb. It was in good shape and no leaks.

- How often do the bearings need to be changed? And any idea about the costs?! Also is it necessary to change the bearings, any problem to the engine if its gone?

- How the heck did shldn find that out in the first place????!

Sankar, I read about your hanging rpm thread. Noticed the same problem in the red cafe (2004 Electra 4s). The accelerator cable is quite hard. Will get that freed and then check about the problem.
Old 26th March 2009, 12:27   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The accelerator cable is quite hard. Will get that freed and then check about the problem.
Another neglected part in the bike.

In my case severe neck pain when riding in traffic.
No problems when driving long distance.

Finally traced to a tight accelerator cable
All because another rider commented on the tightness while fiddling with it.

I had just grown used to it.
Old 26th March 2009, 13:01   #22
BHPian

Hi Gordon

I hope you are sure about it being a grating noise - the AVL engine is all aluminium, and noiser than the std. Double check to make sure its not noise from the rockers.

A bad engine bearing is not a regular feature, it happens only due to neglect /abuse. ( running the bike without oil, or with extremely dirty oil). What are the specs of this Honda engine oil that you use? (20 W40, etc)

A worn out bearing can run for some time, take care not to rev the bike too much. As the bearing worsens, the balance of the crank changes ever so slightly, will lead to uneven wear of the cylinder and loss of compression, among other things.

Its best to keep a budget of atleast 8-10k or so when opening the engine, in case any other problem is discovered when the engine is opened.

SKF bearings are the best, more expensive, but will last longer. Engine bearings in my bike have run for 8 yrs, - 1.5 lakh km.

About mechanics, the less said the better.. After having lived with a Bullet in 4 different cities, the only trustworthy mechanic I found is in Pune.

I stay at Vile Parle, let me know if you want me to have a look at the bike.

Cheers!
Old 26th March 2009, 13:13   #23
BANNED

Quote:
- I put Honda engine oil. The mech said that its of good quality and will keep the engine cooler.
Like another wise man above said stick to the company recommended brand and grade. Its good to experiment but not if you are clueless.

I have no idea about the experience your Bullet mech has. But Honda engine oil? You mean oil used in the Hero Honda/Honda bikes? As far as i know Honda does not make any oil.

Quote:
- I did not change the rubber from the filter to the carb. It was in good shape and no leaks.
If you get to know the problem was due to a part, you mostly replace it. If it got loose once it will get loose again, unless you can find out the reason for it and eliminate that.

Quote:
- How often do the bearings need to be changed? And any idea about the costs?!
Which bearings? Engine bearings ideally should last the life of the engine. Right oil and riding within the limits of the bike will improve life.

Quote:
Also is it necessary to change the bearings, any problem to the engine if its gone?
You mean the engine bearings right? (Wheel bearings gone kaput wont harm the engine). Bearings are a very important part of the engine - replace them immediately if there is even a small symptom of them going bad.

Quote:
- How the heck did shldn find that out in the first place????!
Look at it like this. Now next time you meet someone with the same problem you will know the solution.

Quote:
The accelerator cable is quite hard. Will get that freed and then check about the problem.
Replace the cable if it starts getting stuck.

Last edited by Spitfire : 26th March 2009 at 13:15.
Old 26th March 2009, 14:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Have some queries:

1. The battery keeps draining very quickly. Got it checked, but the guy says there is nothing wrong with the battery, rectifier or the dynamo.

2. Bike does not accelerate freely. Got the carb and filter cleaned but issue remains. Anything to do with electricals??

3. Bike does not push smoothly after 80. Problem?

Gordon.
Gordon,

I am not sure about battery problem but for rest two, check the timing (both valve timing and air and fuel timing) and spark plug both. try new multipoint spark plug.
Old 26th March 2009, 16:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Another neglected part in the bike.

In my case severe neck pain when riding in traffic.
No problems when driving long distance.

Finally traced to a tight accelerator cable
All because another rider commented on the tightness while fiddling with it.

I had just grown used to it.
True, jammed cables cause neck, wrists and palm pain. On empty roads or low traffic times, its not a problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver baleno View Post
I hope you are sure about it being a grating noise - the AVL engine is all aluminium, and noiser than the std. Double check to make sure its not noise from the rockers.
Honestly its not exactly a grating sound. Its more like a cackling sound. However, at very rare times I do hear a grating sound.

Quote:
A bad engine bearing is not a regular feature, it happens only due to neglect /abuse. ( running the bike without oil, or with extremely dirty oil). What are the specs of this Honda engine oil that you use? (20 W40, etc)

This is the one. Don't know the starting code, but it ends with a 40 instead of 50.
HMSI --> Products --> Honda Engine Oil

Quote:
A worn out bearing can run for some time, take care not to rev the bike too much. As the bearing worsens, the balance of the crank changes ever so slightly, will lead to uneven wear of the cylinder and loss of compression, among other things.

Its best to keep a budget of atleast 8-10k or so when opening the engine, in case any other problem is discovered when the engine is opened.

SKF bearings are the best, more expensive, but will last longer. Engine bearings in my bike have run for 8 yrs, - 1.5 lakh km.

About mechanics, the less said the better.. After having lived with a Bullet in 4 different cities, the only trustworthy mechanic I found is in Pune.

I stay at Vile Parle, let me know if you want me to have a look at the bike.

Cheers!
I hope its not a bearing issue. Even if it is, I hope its not major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I have no idea about the experience your Bullet mech has. But Honda engine oil? You mean oil used in the Hero Honda/Honda bikes? As far as i know Honda does not make any oil.
Check above. The mechanic is quite experienced.

Quote:
If you get to know the problem was due to a part, you mostly replace it. If it got loose once it will get loose again, unless you can find out the reason for it and eliminate that.
Yes, I don't think the rubber manifold is spoilt. The thing is that the carb is removed for cleaning a lot of times and may have not been fixed properly again. I tried riding it at different times and its working like a charm now! Not a single misfire and heck even the excess vibrations are gone.

Quote:
Which bearings? Engine bearings ideally should last the life of the engine. Right oil and riding within the limits of the bike will improve life.
The bike is serviced regularly. Its annoying to know that such a simple loose screw was causing such a problem. Wrong diagnosis led to me looking in all the possible places.

Quote:
You mean the engine bearings right? (Wheel bearings gone kaput wont harm the engine). Bearings are a very important part of the engine - replace them immediately if there is even a small symptom of them going bad.
I hope they are intact and nothing is wrong with them.

Quote:
Look at it like this. Now next time you meet someone with the same problem you will know the solution.
Yeahhh, thats true. Its good that I've understood the problem.

BATTERY CHARGING PROBLEM
Just went to the bike, the battery was dead. Its weird. Will get the rectifier, coil, and battery checked again. Can the battery be replaced under warranty EVEN if they claim its alright?

Last edited by Gordon : 26th March 2009 at 16:29.
Old 27th March 2009, 00:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Change rectifier from another bike and try. Before that, charge the battery fully from an external source.

If it is possible, use an ammeter(or a multimeter) to see if there is any current drain from the battery when the ignition switch is in the off position. The ignition switch itself can be a culprit.
Old 27th March 2009, 12:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Manifold:
Welllllll, changing the manifold tomorrow. I tightened it a lot and I could see it was tearing. So replacing would be the best option. And since it was the manifold that was the problem, the stock silencer will be changed back to the upswept Goldstar.

The manifold clip has to be COMPLETELY tight right?!

Carburettor jets:
Whats the stock jet for the BS26?! I'm currently running a 110, which I think is stock. Was running a 130 jet from a VM carb earlier, but it didn't match.

Battery:
Opened the battery cover, and seen white powder on the battery cover. Also noticed that the battery level was OVER Max. Charging is proper, battery voltage is proper. So the conclusion was that the battery itself is gone. Trouble is that the guarantee period is expired by two months.

Last edited by Gordon : 27th March 2009 at 12:21.
Old 27th March 2009, 14:43   #28
Team-BHP Support

My Amaron Battery died within four months.
They replaced it after a charging check with their battery kit.

Took 10 mins in all to get the new battery.

Have not bothered to get the warranty card back from them.
Will chuck the brand if this fails within the next 2 years.

My OEM Enfield lasted me 5+ years.
Old 28th March 2009, 00:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Its been 14 months for my current battery. 2 months after guarantee expired.

Rode the bike for sometime. Its charged a bit. Have disconnected the fuse. Lets see what I find tomm. If the battery is dead, its the batteries fault for sure. If not, it has to be of something getting short.

Also the bike did misfire. Goldstar is on. The manifold will be changed tomorrow.
Old 28th March 2009, 17:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

Well I got a new manifold and changed it. Tightened the clamp completely. Noticed another thing, the carb is quite cool after riding for a while.

Anyways, the bike is misfiring but I think its due to a mismatch with the Goldstar.
  • How do I tune the BS26 carb?!
  • Do I need to make the mixture a little rich?! and how much?!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks