Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2013, 13:12   #751
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Hello Friends,

I own a TBTS 500 and its just 3 months old, I have posted my ownership thread here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...vice-done.html

Issues facing currently.
1. the fuel cap seems to have a mind of its own, some days it will pop right open, other days i will toil for 15-20 min and no luck , the key just would not turn and open the cap
2. silver paint peeling off the edges of the fuel tank.

as informed by J.Ravi Sir , I will lodging a complaint with RE for the tank, however can someone help with tips on the Fuel lid issue.
Old 20th September 2013, 13:21   #752
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
1. the fuel cap seems to have a mind of its own, some days it will pop right open, other days i will toil for 15-20 min and no luck , the key just would not turn and open the cap
Spray WD40 at the keyhole, which will lubricate the inner parts. Take care not spray inside the tank.

Quote:
2. silver paint peeling off the edges of the fuel tank.
Raise a complaint with Royal Enfield and get the tank replaced with a new one. Royal Enfield has replaced in many cases including mine.
  (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 14:27   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Spray WD40 at the keyhole, which will lubricate the inner parts. Take care not spray inside the tank.
Hello Sir,

I have tried it, sprayed inside the key hole, waited for few min and then tried to turn the key, it would not turn, the key goes in fine but does not turn at all.
Old 26th September 2013, 14:10   #754
BHPian

Hello All,

I am completely new in Bullets although it is my long time dream to own a bullet. I have been using Pulsar 150 for last 10 years and into 4X4 Jeeping where in I had built an Ex Army MM550 on my own from scratch.

Now I have booked my DS500 on 25th August and as per the dealer the wait period is 6months. I have booked it in Siddh Auto Pune. It is new dealer opened and I booked my DS500 on the same day of opening of the dealership .
Now my question is do we get any Message / reply from RE directly on the booking? As per Sales person at Show Room , I will get a message from REonce my bike is dispatched from plant.

Any body has such experience?
Old 26th September 2013, 16:15   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Hello Sir,

this is fixed now. applied the above process 3 times with a gap of 15 min in between attempts.

Thanks.
Jimmy_u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 08:01   #756
BHPian

I will be most probably getting my classic 350 this weekend. (After 2 years of heart vs head battle)
Can any one please tell me what are the things I should be checking will taking the delivery?
Old 12th October 2013, 20:29   #757
BHPian

I ride an '83 bull.On a lot of the new ones sporting aftermarket exhausts,I've heard this amazing whistle or some sort of sound coming once the throttle is closed.Can someone explain what this sound is?
Old 12th October 2013, 22:41   #758
BHPian

Catch ? Can

There it was..the dreaded "Mayo", some in the catch can, more of it inside the oil tank while an oil change was on. It'll be down there in timing chest & possibly up there in rocker covers as well. Had dealt it once earlier but wasn't expecting this time with daily runs at a less humid place. Having no space or time for dismantle & clean up, did a blow-wipe-flush the oil tank-lines.

The lines, duckbills, filters were all good but there's mayo in tank. Then What's the 'breather-catch can' doing ?. Peeking inside the can & tracing the lines said: the Can catches vapour- oil, water, mayo all types of it but then drops all thru a drain pipe flat at bottom to the timing chest!
So, i pulled out the drain line at timing chest nipple, put a duckbill on to cap the nipple (had nothing else of size) & plugged the pipe tip with a tyre valve cap. After almost a week of ~150 kms, pulling out the plug gave me a line full water! & there was some mayo in the Can as well. That's what the OE setup poured into oil! Though i had seen over various fora the breather-catch-mayo as an evergreen topic, my bad i did not
bother much to look on mine as most there were for performance changes with crankcase mod, duckbill or pipes rerouting etc.

I've since then replaced the drain pipe with a more flexible one of apt size & length to drop near the main stand. Pulling the plug at tip now drains the can through pipe, nothing goes back to sump. Interestingly, few days later i saw an electra from the first gen (pre '05, mine's '08) & going around it revealed a simple difference- it had no nipple or pipe to the timing chest! I'm not sure if its all OE but the machine looked all stock & the setup logical. To those here with post '05 bullets, its worth having a look at your mayo can.

Cheers
Old 20th October 2013, 11:54   #759
BHPian

Changed headlight, wiring is now in a clutter

I installed a projector in my bird yesterday and now find the wiring is a complete mess! I wanted to install projector on the reflector itself, but the clearance between the reflector bowl and the clear lens in front was not sufficient. I then installed it in the casquette after removing the reflector but since the wiring is located in the casquette behind the reflector i had to push all the wires out of the casquette first. Now the hid and projector are snugly installed but the wiring is in a tangled mess behind the front number plate and also exposed to the elements. My TBTS has two metal 'covers' in front of the petrol tank, on which the side reflectors are mounted. I filled the empty space within these 'covers' by tucking in the adapter and ballast in either one. Now i am at a loss where to hide the mass of tangled wiring hanging behind the headlight. If all else fails then i might have to get a custom box installed behind number plate to hide the wiring! Could you guys offer some tips so i can extricate myself from this mess?

projector details here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3270469

On an unrelated note, recently the neutral light is staying on even when the vehicle is in gear, albeit at lower intensity. Previously it would come on only when the vehicle was drenched in rain or water. I think there must be some loose contacts within the switch, but dont know where it might be located.

Another addition to my water related woes is bike does not start after a wash or after getting drenched in rain. This factor is making me stay indoors during the monsoon! I am sure that the water is making its way into the spark plug connectors, but any idea how to fix this other than changing the spark plug cables?
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-dsc_0031.jpg  

Last edited by chotu_r : 20th October 2013 at 11:57.
Old 20th October 2013, 15:59   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
There it was..the dreaded "Mayo", some in the catch can, more of it inside the oil tank while an oil change was on. It'll be down there in timing chest & possibly up there in rocker covers as well. Had dealt it once earlier but wasn't expecting this time with daily runs at a less humid place. Having no space or time for dismantle & clean up, did a blow-wipe-flush the oil tank-lines.

Interestingly, few days later i saw an electra from the first gen (pre '05, mine's '08) & going around it revealed a simple difference- it had no nipple or pipe to the timing chest! I'm not sure if its all OE but the machine looked all stock & the setup logical. To those here with post '05 bullets, its worth having a look at your mayo can.

Cheers
Why don't you just route all the breather pipes coming out of the crankcase and timing cover onto the chain?
In this way the chain gets lubricated and no problems with the catch can . The bike you saw in probability would be stock . Mine is a 02 Electra and that was the year this set up started .
It was basically for preventing excess oil from being dropped on the road and there was a pipe from the top of the can which ended in the air filter box for breathing.
What happens is when the can gets full,oil goes through this pipe and ends up on the filter!
Your bikes set up and this set up makes me feel what R&D is happening.
So after the free services,my Mech who i started giving the bike,pulled out this set up and put a simple duckbill pipe ending right above the front chain sprocket and its running like that ever since and reaching a lakh on the odo with no issues.
Suggest you do the same.

Regards

Last edited by tharian : 20th October 2013 at 16:05.
Old 20th October 2013, 21:46   #761
BHPian

Gentlemen,

I had posted a similar query in the thread "The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here", 16 days ago, but there has not been any reply to it since then. Hence, I am posting it here, again.

I am from Bangalore and I have a 2013 model Thunderbird 350. It is due for its 2nd free service at 3,000 km. I plan to finish all the free services from authorised service centres (ASS) and then go to a good mechanic for paid services, as I have read that the mechanics do better servicing job than the ASS guys, and ASS mechanics do the job just to make money. I have been looking for a good RE authorised service centre (ASS) for the servicing but have not been able to find leads on this.

Please guide me on a good RE authorised service centre (ASS) in Bangalore. It would would be really helpful if you could share your experiences with them, weather good or bad, and if any particular suggestion.

Also, I would like to know, is Shell Advance Engine Oil 20W50 suitable for our UCE engine Bullets ? I got many positive opinions about the Shell Engine Oils from other bikers. Are there any advantages/demerits on using this brand ? Or is it better to stick with the Royal Enfield recommended Motul/Liquid Gun 15W50 Engine Oil ?
Old 22nd October 2013, 17:09   #762
Senior - BHPian

Guys... Need a quick fix.

Sprayed a generous quantity WD 40 all over my TBTS 350 2012 model to prevent rusting during the rains.

Today while riding my bike realised that the front disc brakes have completely faded away.

Could WD 40 be the culprit?

Royal Enfield Queries-image1873966006.jpg
Old 22nd October 2013, 18:51   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Could WD 40 be the culprit?
Yes. WD40 is the culprit. WD40 has both de-greasing and also lubricating properties. Wash the disc thoroughly with soap water. But still it will take some time for the brake pads to get rid of the WD40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhasker View Post
I plan to finish all the free services from authorised service centres (ASS) and then go to a good mechanic for paid services, as I have read that the mechanics do better servicing job than the ASS guys, and ASS mechanics do the job just to make money. I have been looking for a good RE authorised service centre (ASS) for the servicing but have not been able to find leads on this.

Please guide me on a good RE authorised service centre (ASS) in Bangalore.

is Shell Advance Engine Oil 20W50 suitable for our UCE engine Bullets
Going for private mechanics are good only if you can find a reliable mechanic (Which is a rare species, seldom seen in Bangalore). But if you can, then it is the best choice. If you are planning to avail the warranty offered by RE, stick to ASCs and get the service log updated in the owner's manual.

You can try Manjunatha Bullet Garage, Banaswadi. They do a pretty good job among ASCs.

You can use shell 20w-50 no problem. Motul 15w-50 is a good and is most commonly used in the ASCs.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 22nd October 2013 at 19:02.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 18:56   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Yes. WD40 is the culprit. WD40 has both de-greasing and also lubricating properties. Wash the disc thoroughly with soap water. But still it will take some time for the brake pads to get rid of the WD40.
Thank You! I should have been a little cautious.

Will applying fork oil solve the problem?

Without the front disc brakes, stopping the thunderbird is a huge task. The rear brakes are completely useless at speeds above 20 KMPH.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 22nd October 2013 at 19:12. Reason: typo: unless = useless
Old 22nd October 2013, 19:08   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Will applying fork oil solve the problem?
No oil should be used on disks it should be grease/oil free all the time.

Infact, I have even stopped using chain cleaner as it gets inside the drum and makes the already pathetic rear drum more useless.

Quote:
Without the front disc brakes, stopping the thunderbird is a huge task. The rear brakes are completely unless at speeds above 20 KMPH.
We row the same boat!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 22nd October 2013 at 19:15.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks