Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2009, 11:42   #16
BANNED

Is it the stock carb?

This shouldnt happen due to low level of fuel. Stock jets?
Old 26th March 2009, 11:54   #17
BHPian

Maybe this is a Silly answer but i think your choke was on.Try the same thing now with your choke pulled it will produce the same results.
Old 26th March 2009, 14:54   #18
BHPian

MY weird guess ! try and give the accelator cable separate route, oe route is along with the clutch cable.
Old 26th March 2009, 14:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Is it the stock carb?

This shouldnt happen due to low level of fuel. Stock jets?
Nope it's a TM32. It can happen due to low fuel flow. The main jet is set deep down in the bowl and there's much height difference (compared to any other carb available locally) between the pilot jet placement and main jet. I was running on midrange circuit mostly on that day and often had to partly close the throttle. While i was in the midrange circuit the fuel is being metered by jetneedle sucked through the deep set mainjet. So even with low fuel flow the main is still submerged in fuel and since i wasn't on WOT the level dint deplete fast so as to notice fuel starvation, fuel was still flowing so as to keep the main submerged but not enough to keep the level steady. But when throttle is closed pilot circuit is activated and since the fuel flow couldn't keep up with demand pilot jet will not have proper level around it, leaning it out.

I know it's all theory but that is the only sensible explanation i have and it seems sensible enough. The problem is solved i dint do anything to solve it A turn to reserve fixed that and then i topped up the tank and now running fine on ON.

The float bowl of this carb is huge! I can travel a little more than a kilometre with fuel tap closed if i ride it sensibly. On stock carb it was less than half a kilometre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
Maybe this is a Silly answer but i think your choke was on.Try the same thing now with your choke pulled it will produce the same results.
Choke would make the bike 8stroke and bog down. It will not cause the RPM to hang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
MY weird guess ! try and give the accelator cable separate route, oe route is along with the clutch cable.
Throttle cable is free.. it's not sticking anywhere!
It's solved. Fuelled up the tank.

Last edited by Sankar : 26th March 2009 at 15:01.
Old 27th March 2009, 00:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Nope it's a TM32. It can happen due to low fuel flow. The main jet is set deep down in the bowl and there's much height difference (compared to any other carb available locally) between the pilot jet placement and main jet. I was running on midrange circuit mostly on that day and often had to partly close the throttle. While i was in the midrange circuit the fuel is being metered by jetneedle sucked through the deep set mainjet. So even with low fuel flow the main is still submerged in fuel and since i wasn't on WOT the level dint deplete fast so as to notice fuel starvation, fuel was still flowing so as to keep the main submerged but not enough to keep the level steady. But when throttle is closed pilot circuit is activated and since the fuel flow couldn't keep up with demand pilot jet will not have proper level around it, leaning it out.
Fuel flow which does not restrict the bike on main jet circuit, but starves on pilot jet circuit? I don't know why, but I find that explanation hard to buy. Now, I have not seen a TM32 carb and you probably know better, but I think there has to be a different explanation to the hanging rpm issue.
Old 27th March 2009, 00:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

well to make sure there we rule out other probabilities as well for later on, try and get the Green-Cotton cleaning kit instead of the K&N's, atleast get the oil spray can from Green, PETE's would sell you this.

that way you can make sure you put in just enough oil on to the filter, back in the picture the filter looked a little less on the oil, the sprayer works like a charm instead of the K&N's oil pouring on line by line, and this thing spreads very evenly to top it off the Green-Cotton recharge KIT from PETE's performance products costs almost 30% lesser incomparison to K&N, i have used them both and i Prefer Green's for the convenience of cleaning and recharging!
Old 27th March 2009, 07:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Fuel flow which does not restrict the bike on main jet circuit, but starves on pilot jet circuit? I don't know why, but I find that explanation hard to buy. Now, I have not seen a TM32 carb and you probably know better, but I think there has to be a different explanation to the hanging rpm issue.
Hehehe... yeah i don't have a better explanation myself man!

Yesterday while riding back home, i put the fuel tap in off position to simulate running out of fuel scenario and the RPM did hang! But since the fuel wasn't flowing at all (as compared to low fuel flow) it went into fuel starvation mode a lil too soon after hanging RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
well to make sure there we rule out other probabilities as well for later on, try and get the Green-Cotton cleaning kit instead of the K&N's, atleast get the oil spray can from Green, PETE's would sell you this.

that way you can make sure you put in just enough oil on to the filter, back in the picture the filter looked a little less on the oil, the sprayer works like a charm instead of the K&N's oil pouring on line by line, and this thing spreads very evenly to top it off the Green-Cotton recharge KIT from PETE's performance products costs almost 30% lesser incomparison to K&N, i have used them both and i Prefer Green's for the convenience of cleaning and recharging!
I know man, i like Green cotton compared to K&N. I had a Green on the Enfield but someone nicked it, that's when i bought K&N. Green is definitely more value. I need a bigger filter since the K&N is a stretch fit, so will buy the kit alongwith the filter. The pic you saw is not of the filer in it's present condition, it has been cleaned and oiled after that.
Old 27th March 2009, 20:07   #23
BHPian

I think I am having the same problem.
When ever I press the clutch the RPM stays at 2K- 3k
Wht shall I do
Old 27th March 2009, 20:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Well... the issue is not solved. Again i had the RPM hangin while returning today evening.

This time the rpm dint fall when i pulled in the clutch... so my whole theory of fuel level and crap have been flushed down the throne.

So got to think fresh. Lemme check for any airleak.
Old 28th March 2009, 04:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Leak sounds very probable, but shouldn't idling be higher as well? Or is it a leak that manifests itself only when the bike is hot?
Old 28th March 2009, 08:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Yep, got to see. I adjusted the idling circuit a bit, the airscrew was a bit too lean compared to earlier settings. I must've opened it and forgot to turn it back after the experimentation. Lemme see if this solves the problem.
Old 15th April 2009, 19:34   #27
BHPian

Did you solve your problem ?
I need to know the solution because I have a similar problem !
Old 16th April 2009, 22:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Yeah i did manage to solve it. The problem was air leak at the manifold caused due to the use of stock manifold with an oversized carb. So no matter how well i tightened the manifold around the carb it still used to develop a small leak after couple of days. So this time used RTV silicone in the manifold and inserted the carb and tightened it down. It will not leak, has been good since a week now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks