Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2009, 03:06   #1

Fibre Glass Motorcycle Fuel Tank

Hi Guys,I am from Hyderabad. I am looking for a FIBREGLASS MOTORCYCLE GAS TANKS. Any advices, suggestions? Any help will be really appreciated.Thank You
Old 27th March 2009, 00:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

mate you get the fiber glass material in ranigunj try making one yourself, as far as i know there is no one who is reputed with a name around, if you really want one you will have to make one.

or the next best option is to get it from another city.

incase you find a person doing this in Hyderabad please PM me too thank you in advance.
Old 27th March 2009, 08:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its a known unsafe idea - courtesy some brave men who tried that idea in the raid de himalayas.

Of course, Maruti believes in cutting cost of fuel tank through fiberglass as well - Damn maruti
Old 28th March 2009, 01:25   #4
BHPian

dont thin it would be too tough though! if you can find the original tank whose paint and surface finish you dont care about!
The process is simple make a clay mould of it in 2 peices and then use that mould to make the fibre one! well easier said than done but not very high tech is what im saying!
Old 28th March 2009, 03:18   #5
BHPian

Ive worked in a fibreglass company and trust me it is easier said than done. Its best left to a professional, else the tank will weigh as much or more than the metal one.

Why dont you make one with light aluminum? It is a easier task. And what kind of bike u building this tank for, rally or drag?
Old 28th March 2009, 07:35   #6
BHPian

I Think Yamaha FZ16 has a fiber gas tank. Not sure though!
Old 28th March 2009, 14:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
I Think Yamaha FZ16 has a fiber gas tank. Not sure though!
Only the outer show pieces [addons] are fiber,the tank is made on steel.
Old 30th March 2009, 13:54   #8

HI guys.Thanks for the ideas n advices. i ride a Royal Enfield LB 500.Basically to increase the performance of the bike,thought of decreasing the overall weight of the motorcycle by changing the fuel tank and seat,fenders, remove side boxes and all the unnecessary weight . The idea is to have to a bigger tank(than a stock teardrop tank) and lighter but strong at the same time.Asking for too much. But they are available in Australia,although they are slightly on the expensive side (about 500 USD).The LB 500 is capable of doing higher speeds than specified.So kind of trying to ride it as fast as i can with minimum weight first and see how fast she goes.Then do some heavy duty mods to the engine,air filter and carb and ignitions and cams. And I am just going to drag test on one of the state highways close to Hyderabad (Closer to fracture centers. hehe)Will keep you posted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks