Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 15:26   #1

Yamaha RX 135 | Restoration

Hello,

I was looking for some information on net on how to grab a 4x4 jeep and do modifications/overhauling etc... Luckily joined T-BHP.

But then you would think why I'm in motorbikes forum. The reason is I want to restore my RX135 as I'm completely in love with this sleek beautiful bike. I've Yamaha RX-135, 4 speed, 2000 model. Used it in my college and then for a couple of years after college, guess till mid 2005. But till that time I was taking good care of it. After that my brother took it over as it was not being used by me. He used it for almost 2 years and then stopped using it. But (to be honest) he kind of abused it alot. From 2007 mid we used it rarely (like once in 2-3 months).
And then in 2008 (june or july) while riding my brother got slipped (got some scratches) and fuel tank got big dent in it with a no. of other issues. Bike stopped running, as he couldn't start it. He took it to some mechanic who did some basic work and make the bike running.

After that nobody (except car/bike cleaner) touched it. It's been almost a year since we rode it. A couple of days back he asked me to sell it over as its getting rutsy and none of us is using it. That thing kind of pinched me and I picked up the keys and took it ride. Gave some problem while starting but finally it started. Took it to petrol pump, got some fuel and rode it for 10-15 kms. It was like recalling college days.

Then decided not to sell it and will restore it. But then I realised I don't know about any technical/mechanicals of the bike. when I used to ride it, for every single problem I use to take it to service center and never cared about what the actual problem is. Now I've no idea and clue over how will/should I proceed. While riding I realised
- Electricals not working, may be due to drained battery or may be problem in electricals itself
- A lot of problem in changing gears
- Rust on handle bar, spokes of wheels and lot of other areas
- Chain was kind of very rough
- Odometer was not working
- A lot of cranky noises
- Front footrest loose
- Engine was although sounding good

I want to get this bike to stock condition and need input from people on this forum on should I proceed.

As I'm residing in Gurgaon, so would be great if someone can tell me or guide me for a good mechanic/workshop here only. I don't mind going to Delhi but that would be second option.

Cheers!!!

Most Viewed