Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 21:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

BSA Motors introduces eScooters

Just got a mailer giving a list of FIVE new 'eScooters' from the BSA Motors stables.

Named BSA SMILE, DIVA, RIDER, ROAMER and ROAMER+ ,Costs ranging from 28,500 to 36,600, first three three models with 250 Watts, the next with 500 Watts and 800 Watts battery packs respectively. Range in the region of 50 kms per charge. Top speed 40-45kmph. Apparently no need for license or registration (dont know if this is applicable to all the models).

Will try and scan the mailer and put it up.
Old 27th March 2009, 21:51   #2
BHPian

BSA motors , BSA electric bikes ,Best Electric bikes for more details.
Old 27th March 2009, 23:16   #3
BHPian

eScooters are a joke still. pathetic performance combined with worse endurance. i would not event touch one with a barge pole as yet. and coming from TI group makes no difference. its simply not good enough.

all the manufacturers today buy cheap kits for under $300 from china, assemble it here and sell it at 400% the original rates. just check out prices in china for similar scooters.

and just an interesting bit of information: the reva car costs 4.2 lakhs on road in bangalore. WHAT A RIP OFF!!!!!!!

each and every one who is involved in electric vehicle sales are selling their products at 300% margins despite the government subsidies and cheap chinese imports.

and the bsa brand of eScooters is being run by refugees from failed two wheeler brands i am told. so watch out.
Old 28th March 2009, 09:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, no registration/license is applicable only for the 250W model. Higher wattages require the EV to be registered and the rider requires a two wheeler license.
Old 28th March 2009, 23:54   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Any update on the success (or lack of) for the other electric scooters already in the market? Another BHPian had posted a review of his wife's e-scooter and it really wasn't too encouraging. Honestly, I think its dangerous to be riding a two-wheeler that slow!
Old 29th March 2009, 08:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

I wish they introduce some sort of license system for these. These electric two wheelers end up in hands of students, I mean kids who are in 6-7th standard i.e. around 12-13 years old. This is the most dangerous outcome of these two wheelers.
And they are capable traffic jam creators. We dont need bad roads if we have these two wheelers. They can barely move at 20 kmph, and generally are with two people + some luggage. On the road they are so slow that sometimes a normal Indian road user will misjudge their speed and bang into them.
And we know Indian rainy season and what happens when it rains even 4 inches in 2 hours. Ask me, the city would come to a halt. I dont think these are ideal requirement for us. May be for using when one has to go within 3 kms radius, these bike are OK, but never ever visit main roads on these. Its like inviting disaster.
Old 21st May 2009, 18:40   #7
BHPian

BSA Roamer+ is good

Hi,

Test drove a 800W E-scooter from BSA top speed 40kmph with 2 ppl

6-8 hrs charging time-range 60km

2yrs battery life-cost 7000/-

Maintenance free

Cost 39K

Good for short distance commuters

Will recover the cost in fuel and service savings for regular scooters
Old 22nd May 2009, 00:49   #8
BHPian

amarprusty, does bsa have a dealer in bangalore? if yes, am sure that it would shut shop in a few months time. 39k for an 800w electric scooter? its a rip off. battery will not last 2 years unless its used as per the cycle recommended which by the way is impossible to follow.

why dont you ask them to give you the scoot for a few days to test?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks