Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 01:23   #1
BHPian

Honda Dio Modded..still under construction..help needed!!

Hey Guys,

Am posting after a very long time on Team-BHP.. recently ordered some stickers too from the website..

I had posted a thread on my Honda Dio a long time back about modding it.. After that, i purchased a new air filter and upjetted my carb and then just lost interest due to lack of time and also funds..

Well, now am back to modding my scoot.. right now my scoot has an upjetted carb, new heavier rollers, new contra(torque) spring, a new racing CDI unit, new clutch springs and few more mods...

the scoot currently tops out at 100kmph on flats with the right setup and around 8.5gram rollers but the acceleration is marred due to that.. right now i've set it up for a faster acceleration with 11.5gram rollers and its very zippy from 0 to 70kmph.. am buying a new carburetor for it and a new racing clutch.. its actually very hard to find the right parts for it as its not available in any other country except UK as the Honda Lead and not many people modify 4 stroke scooters in foreign countries.. so i have to measure my parts and then find the correct parts..

here are some pics..

Hope you like my little project, will post videos soon..

Now, I need to do a few more things to it in which I dont have any kind of experience.. I need to bore the engine which involves a lot of technical knowledge and calculations, am not comfortable doing it myself..

Do you guys know of any experienced tuners in Pune who can help me with my project? I stay in viman nagar area.. i really need help from you guys if i wnat this project to move further..

Sid

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th March 2009 at 17:02. Reason: see note in post
xmOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2009, 10:51   #2
BHPian

Xmod,

Awesome project. I am a fan of modern scooters too. I ll be watching this thread.
Old 30th March 2009, 12:23   #3
BHPian

i need help finding experienced tuners in pune who can help me bore the engine.. any one knows some?
Old 31st March 2009, 16:42   #4
BHPian

guys cant anybody help me from pune?
Old 31st March 2009, 19:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Be cafeful man, some auntyji in a Suzuki Access might blow you away!!
Thats one of the fastest scoots in the market.

Jokes apart, Pretty sure there are tuners in Pune, but I doubt if anyone has experience with modding a Dio and fewer who would want to take it up. First you need to set a budget and set a target for what you want from the engine.

There is a bunch of guys from Pune who do the Monsoon scooter rally, you can check with that crowd for tuner contacts
you might want to check out if you can bore it and fit a larger piston from Honda Shine or the Glamour 125. Depends on how deep your pockets are.
Old 31st March 2009, 20:34   #6
BHPian

hey thx for the reply MPower..

there is'nt a need for a specialized scooter tuner, anyone who works on motorcycles can work on a scooter engine cause boring of the engine involves the same process, only the transmission differs..

any one you know whos a part of that monsoon scooter rally? any one a part of this forum? i need contacts, wont be able to find people like this..

money is not really an issue now as am working now and have already spent about 10k on the scoot till now..

any help is appreciated..
Old 3rd April 2009, 00:39   #7

Yummy!!! What a lovely build. I wanna Do something very similar in the future. Try grinding the Exhaust Port a little bit.

What is this Box Thingy?

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 3rd April 2009 at 00:41.
Old 3rd April 2009, 15:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Yummy!!! What a lovely build. I wanna Do something very similar in the future. Try grinding the Exhaust Port a little bit.

What is this Box Thingy?
Hey thanks for the comments cyrus. Theres a lot more planned for the scoot, my ultimate aim is to create a powerful wheelie machine that does wheelies at a flick of the throttle, which is very much possible the way i see it.

That box is the CDI. It regulates the CDI (capacitor discharge ignition) regulates the amount of voltage that goes to your spark plug through the ignition coil. When higher voltage is supplied, a bigger powerful spark is created which results in a better combustion. It also derestricts the amount of revolutions (RPM's) your engine does and allow it to spin to a higher revolution and hence increases top speed. This racing CDI is more powerful than the stock CDI that the DIO comes with and hence is better for use with aftermarket parts. Hope i could help.

I have ordered a new carburetor for the dio. The stock carb is 18m and am installing a bigger 24mm carb which will result in more power being generated.
Old 3rd April 2009, 20:12   #9
BHPian

Guess about 2 years ago when none knew what a big-bore on a scoot was, I made a big-bore version on an activa engine for my friend. It was 122cc. The head and port tract was modified to get more flow. However due to budget constraints from this college going kid, we quit at that and just complemented with some final jetting. That scoot runs to this day and now his sister rides it everyday to work with better fuel efficiency than a stock one.
I have some wild ideas, but the clutch on these motoscoots will disappoint you in the end. All the torque wont get laid on the tarmac.
Bikes are anyday better.
Old 3rd April 2009, 20:40   #10
BHPian

Hey Fieroid,

Can you explain to me how you went about completing the big-bore on the activa? What parts you used? The piston info? cost involved? I wanna bore my scoot too so any info you provide will be very helpful.

As for the clutch, I have found an aftermarket clutch by Hebo that fits my scoot so will order that soon as well as a new performance variator by polini. Findings parts for this scoot is such a pain so have to measure things and find parts online.
Old 3rd April 2009, 21:22   #11
BHPian

YOu just cant put some piston man. I got a piston from outside the country. It needs to be heavily modified to match the new deck height of the dio/activa barrel. make way for the valves and at the same time ensure the piston has not lost its structural rigidity. Took an entire day worth machining on the piston alone.
Old 3rd April 2009, 21:25   #12
BHPian

Fieroid,
Thats exactly what i want to know about. Which was that piston? did you also import a big bore kit from anywhere or bored the stock block? Please help me. If its ok, then i can send you my MSN IM info and you can help me with this stuff there?
Old 3rd April 2009, 21:55   #13
BHPian

It was a just the piston man. Its off from some kawasaki engine. Dont remember off my head now.
The existing block was bored out with a new sleeve as well. You dont get any imports for this engine man.
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:17   #14
BHPian

Ok thx for that info mate. What was the power output after the bore and rejet, do you remember or have any idea? Was the scoot ever dynoed?
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:19   #15
BHPian

xMod can you give us more details of the CDI? any link?

Most Viewed