Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2019, 20:55   #301
BHPian

re: Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
45/40 HS1 Osram Rallye bulb
I will order this one and check. I am not so conversant about tapping 12 V DC from the ignition line. Fitting this Osram Bulb seems like an easier solution for now. Thanks.
Old 4th August 2019, 22:28   #302
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
I will order this one and check. I am not so conversant about tapping 12 V DC from the ignition line. Fitting this Osram Bulb seems like an easier solution for now. Thanks.
I went with the same choice.

Check my CT100B ownership thread and in the last pages you'd find a rough output comparo of the stock 35/35 HS1 on a friend's brand new bike and mine running the 45/40 bulb side by side.

Used to cost Rs.125/-, now Amazon has bumped the price to Rs.135/-.
Old 5th August 2019, 00:03   #303
BHPian

Quote:
I went with the same choice.

Check my CT100B ownership thread and in the last pages you'd find a rough output comparo of the stock 35/35 HS1 on a friend's brand new bike and mine running the 45/40 bulb side by side.

Used to cost Rs.125/-, now Amazon has bumped the price to Rs.135/-.
I saw that picture,purchased a couple of the 40/45 bulbs and put one in my Activa. But I was told off by a friend who said the battery would not get charged/get damaged so I shifted to 30/35 Silver Star. Good enough for me, though I need to aim the beam. I set it while un seated, so while it does illuminate the road well, quite a bit of light goes upwards. Positives-whenever I ride down a slope, cars on high beam dim their lights and I reciprocate .
What's your take on the load exerted by the 40/45 bulbs?
Old 5th August 2019, 02:53   #304
BHPian

Quote:
I was searching for the output comparison and ended up reading the full thread. Specially the Golden Quadrilateral travelogue is amazing. Will order the Lamp through Amazon and check the output.
Old 5th August 2019, 14:42   #305
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by surajspai View Post
What's your take on the load exerted by the 40/45 bulbs?
I've installed the 45/40 bulb in two other motorcycles other than my own and all are running fine, if there were any issues then it would've already cropped up by now as all 3 of us clock decent annual mileage figures.

As far as my personal opinion goes, I do not see any noticeable drain as with the 60/55 at low revs some of the electricals would fail to work but with 45/40 everything works just as it would with 35/35 in place.

I've used the Silver Star as well, compared to stock 35/35 or Bosch generic 35/35 the output is commendable, but if you were to ask me I'd choose the 45/40 over it anyday, another reason being because I'm using a larger done and 35/35 just doesn't have enough juice to give a decent spread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
I was searching for the output comparison and ended up reading the full thread. Specially the Golden Quadrilateral travelogue is amazing. Will order the Lamp through Amazon and check the output.
Thank you for reading, hope you get what you're looking for with the 45/40.

Regards,
A.P..
Old 13th August 2019, 23:48   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for reading, hope you get what you're looking for with the 45/40.
Received the Osram 45/40 W Rallye Bulb today and and replaced the 55/60 W right away. The headlamp brightness at idling/low revs has increased considerably. This is really helpful and what I was exactly looking for. Thanks a lot.
adi.mariner is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 09:27   #307
BHPian

Hi All,
I have a Electra 2012 since the last 7-8 months, most maintenance is done by me as DIY. Till date these are the changes made in last 6months

1. Switched to maintenance free 8Ah amaron battery instead of the bulky 14ah Exide one
2. Added horn relay to a single disc horn
3. Chain sprocket replaced diy
4. Oil change twice
5. Brake shoes and sprocket rubber
6. Master cylinder overhaul
7. Switched to 45/40 osram bulb for headlamp
8. Replaced stock tail light bulb with led strip x 4

Now the issue is, I am really interested in getting that classic 350 type headlamp bulb (55/60w), but everytime I add that, the battery dies out after a long ride in the night. Is there any solution for this?

Does Electra come with same coil as a classic 350?
No other mod comes close to lighting provided by stock headlamp of classic 350, I have even changed the RR unit thinking that was faulty. please advise
Old 14th September 2020, 02:57   #308
BHPian

Has anyone tried/seen/thought about installing a bi xenon projector in a bike's headlight assembly, i remember some years ago they were a big rage, but currently I don't see any in my city.

I have a RE Gt 650 and i am planning on improving the headlight intensity. Is there enough space to install this setup? Many people have retrofit in their cars and are quite happy with the result.
Any other option to get better lights apart from getting auxiliary lights?
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 10:01   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Has anyone tried/seen/thought about installing a bi xenon projector in a bike's headlight assembly, i remember some years ago they were a big rage, but currently I don't see any in my city.

I have a RE Gt 650 and i am planning on improving the headlight intensity. Is there enough space to install this setup? Many people have retrofit in their cars and are quite happy with the result.
Any other option to get better lights apart from getting auxiliary lights?
TBHPian audioholic has installed bi xenons on his thread - Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300.

Overall your options are
- halogen bulb replacement to a better bulb
- LED bulb replacement
- LED headlight unit replacement
- Projector setup / bixenons
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:18   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
TBHPian audioholic has installed bi xenons on his thread - Double graduation - From a Honda Dio to a Kawasaki Ninja 300.

Overall your options are
- halogen bulb replacement to a better bulb
- LED bulb replacement
- LED headlight unit replacement
- Projector setup / bixenons
For some reason I never liked the straight LED swap for a halogen bulb in the stock reflector. The High beam becomes totally useless since the range is grossly reduced. I would either go for a better bulb or replace the complete stock dome to an aftermarket one like the ones from Mad Dog.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:53   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
For some reason I never liked the straight LED swap for a halogen bulb in the stock reflector. The High beam becomes totally useless since the range is grossly reduced. I would either go for a better bulb or replace the complete stock dome to an aftermarket one like the ones from Mad Dog.
Yes, each of these options comes with its own pros and cons. It is ultimately down to a balance between light output / performance, price and strictness of the local enforcement agencies. For example, here some riders still have aux lights installed but they have started putting a small black sock on top of it during the day so that it escapes the attention of our MVD officials.
Old 14th September 2020, 17:27   #312
BANNED

Quote:
I have a RE Gt 650 and i am planning on improving the headlight intensity. Is there enough space to install this setup? Many people have retrofit in their
Presuming you've done adequate research on the pro's and con's of Xenon's(availability, temperature, visibility etc.), especially their use in MFR's, I'd like to go to challenges faced during installation.

On motorcycles with round headlight unit like yours the main challenge you'd face is finding the space to install the Ballast. You could try to relocate the same to under the fuel tank but I for one am against the idea for safety concerns as the Ballast's do get quite hot. Not to mention the agony you'd endure getting the wiring back in place in the event the HID conks off mid ride and you'd want to revert to Halogens since an unexpected HID replacement is still out of the question.

Similar constraints with LED options as well considering that a proper unit comes with a Driver, the units that some manufacturers sell that is a standalone unit is a joke with respect to output.

Now there is the concern that the person installing it doesn't mess with the stock connector as it is critical that it remains unfazed as when the HID/LED conks out you would without a doubt be reverting to Halogens if this happens during a ride.

Then comes the case of replacing the entire dome with a unit from Maddog, this makes life easy no doubt but only in the short run, if the unit conks off then you're royally screwed as you'd not be riding with the stock dome and H4 bulb in your backpack I presume.

I know I do have a rep for taking a stand against modern electronics but as far as application and common logic is concerned they really do not make it worth the effort i.e unless your use of the motorcycle is limited and reliability is not a quintessential concern.

And if its not already understood, in the case of electricals failing there is no 'IF' but only 'WHEN'.

Ride Safe,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 14th September 2020 at 17:39.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 12:22   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Thank you pointing the thread out, i'll go over and see what can be done, HIDs with projector give the best output so i'm more inclined towards them, let's see what happens finally

Quote:
Presuming you've done adequate research on the pro's and con's of Xenon's(availability, temperature, visibility etc.), especially their use in MFR's, I'd like to go to challenges faced during installation.
Well i have done some research but mainly people have been doing the projector setup in cars where there is ample space available. In the headlight dome of RE there is scarcity of space, that's true.

I'm not a night time highway rider, the small rides that i do are in daytime only so lights going kaput won't be that a big of problem. But i get your point, i am looking at all the options and let's see what i do finally, i just want a good bright light.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 12:52   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not a night time highway rider, the small rides that i do are in daytime only so lights going kaput won't be that a big of problem. But i get your point, i am looking at all the options and let's see what i do finally, i just want a good bright light.
I would say, leave your headlight as it is and just put on a pair of good, branded spot aux lights instead. You are not fiddling with the stock headlights and hence you dont have to worry about after market bulbs failing on you. Also, you just use the aux lights when you need them as you will have a switch for it. Mad Dog, A2Z etc are a few branded options that are popular on the forum. They are not expensive and are widely available.

This way you get the best of both worlds.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 14:26   #315
Team-BHP Support

In addition to neil.jericho's suggestions, there might be one more way to have your cake and eat it too. Try sourcing the old (now deprecated) Thunderbird / Thunderbird 350/500X headlamps which had projectors, and maybe a retrofit might work since they are also of the same 7" size.

Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-81.jpg

While it may not match some of the aftermarket / LED options in terms of sheer intensity / output, it will still be better than stock halogens the factory fits the 650 twins with. If you are particular about aftermarket stuff not giving up on you and trust OE stuff more, this might be worth a try.

Last edited by KarthikK : 15th September 2020 at 14:28.
KarthikK is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks