Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2010, 12:25   #91
BHPian

I own a Honda Activa. Its the old one, so it doesn't come with halogen headlamps. I'd like to fit a higher wattage bulb. How can I do this?
Will this require me to modify the wiring?

Thanks
Regards,
Vignesh
Old 2nd May 2010, 16:29   #92
BHPian

Has anyone on this forum upgraded the headlights on the Faizer? I think it comes with two bulbs of 35 w each. Will upgrading involve changing the coil? Will one need to change the domes or holders too? Or is a simple relay available just like in cars. Also please suggest the brightest bulbs and their make.

I had upgrade the light on the KB 125 about 15 years ago. I had to change the dome and get the coil rewound.
Old 3rd May 2010, 00:02   #93
Senior - BHPian

has anyone upgraded headlamps of a RX100? What is the best option for RX100?
Old 3rd May 2010, 08:00   #94
Senior - BHPian

Is it a 6volt RX100 or 12Volt RX100?

Anyway best option is to get the coils rewound and RR unit changed so that you can run 55/60 halogen bulbs. You can even get the coil rewound to use 90/100, but as you might know, it will put quite a load on the engine when the light is switched on.

If you're retaining the small OE headlamp dome, you can use a Swaraj Mazda P43T headlamp unit in it. It will fit nice and neat and has a good beam pattern.
Old 3rd May 2010, 08:20   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
has anyone upgraded headlamps of a RX100? What is the best option for RX100?
Whoa!!! I wanted to open this thread for nearly the same reason & here's someone asking the same question. Anyway, I'll answer you & then ask my question.

I've a 55/60 running on my headlamps & the only change being done is the rectifier. Its a custom make, I know its bad, but then, I only have the headlamps running without battery. So all you need to focus is the rectifier, which Shankar refers it as RR (Relay & Rectifier) unit. Here's a similar thread on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Anyway best option is to get the coils rewound and RR unit changed so that you can run 55/60 halogen bulbs. You can even get the coil rewound to use 90/100, but as you might know, it will put quite a load on the engine when the light is switched on.
Shankar, from my experience, the winding work has to be done properly without which the bulbs will go kaput frequently; IMHO, its better to change the entire CDI Magento to 12V than winding.
When looking for the 12V magneto, I was being told that Yamaha has several CDI Magneto assy for RX series; starts with 6V, then 6V upgrade to 12V (not sure what this means), 12V for RXG, 12V for RX135; frankly I do not know what this all means. So finally I said, just get me the RX135's.

Quote:
If you're retaining the small OE headlamp dome, you can use a Swaraj Mazda P43T headlamp unit in it. It will fit nice and neat and has a good beam pattern.
Well, I did this long back in 2005's & the problem here on fitting them to RX is the focus. Mazda has 2 of them left & right; the right one tries to focus little towards left to focus on centre & the left one tries to focus little towards right to focus on centre. If one of these is fitted on RX, the focus will also have the same effect unless the headlight is tilted slightly; for example, if you get the right doom, the doom should be pushed slightly right further so that the focus is on centre otherwise the focus is slightly towards left. Hope you got the point.

Last edited by aargee : 3rd May 2010 at 08:22.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2010, 08:48   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it a 6volt RX100 or 12Volt RX100?
Sankar, Aargee thanks for the info, never knew parts from Swaraj can be used for RX. My RX100 has a 12V unit. Any idea how much the wiring work will cost?

Spike
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:05   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
never knew parts from Swaraj can be used for RX.
My humble suggestion - stay away from this setup if you can.

Quote:
My RX100 has a 12V unit. Any idea how much the wiring work will cost?
Depends on what you're trying to do; 12V CD Magneto assy should cost you 2.5K, not sure if you're replacing it; wiring harness assy in Minda should cost around Rs 250; Swiss around Rs 200; OE RR unit should cost around Rs 500; Swiss around Rs 200; what about turn light assy? add about 90 a piece for Minda; OE costs Rs 175; Tail lamp assy? around Rs 250; head lamps assy? Minda around Rs 260; Lumax around 220ish, Fiem around Rs 200. Pls let me know what else you're looking apart from this.

Edit - Oh!!! the Osram Halogen 55/60 around Rs 60

Last edited by aargee : 3rd May 2010 at 09:08.
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:07   #98
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, I have two Phillips Extreme power bulbs, that I used for my zen. I have 90/100s now on the zen and the 55/60 Phillips are lying around. Can I use them on the Pulsar 180cc DTSi ? If yes then what are the mods to be done ?
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:34   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
the 55/60 Phillips are lying around. Can I use them on the Pulsar 180cc DTSi ? If yes then what are the mods to be done ?
Just came across this thread on & thought it will be helpful to you.
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:57   #100
Senior - BHPian

^^ Gotcha! Thanks a lot man.
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:11   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ Gotcha! Thanks a lot man.
You're welcome, but I forgot to post my question

I'm planning to give a modern touch to my RX & plannign to have a HID setup. Pls let me know your thoughts, feasibility & if they're realistic & achievable easily.

Constraints - The existing doom setup should remain as such & no modification in the doom should be carried out. This means, the doom will be the OE (Minda) headlights, but what goes inside will be a HID setup.

Will I need an additional battery? What're the work that is likely to be carried out & I should be knowing before taking it to an auto electrical workshop? Or is the effort not worth at all ?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:16   #102
Senior - BHPian

The stock dome will not be sufficient. A large one will be required which takes out the look from the RX. There will be relays and other equipment involved but don't do a DIY, take it to an expert.
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:28   #103
Senior - BHPian

No its not a DIY; see my post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
What're the work that is likely to be carried out & I should be knowing before taking it to an auto electrical workshop?
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:30   #104
Senior - BHPian

Hi Aargee, my reply inline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I've a 55/60 running on my headlamps & the only change being done is the rectifier. Its a custom make, I know its bad, but then, I only have the headlamps running without battery. So all you need to focus is the rectifier, which Shankar refers it as RR (Relay & Rectifier) unit. Here's a similar thread on this.

>> Regulator & Rectifier. There aint no relay in there. Regulates the AC output and converts AC to DC.

Shankar, from my experience, the winding work has to be done properly without which the bulbs will go kaput frequently; IMHO, its better to change the entire CDI Magento to 12V than winding.
When looking for the 12V magneto, I was being told that Yamaha has several CDI Magneto assy for RX series; starts with 6V, then 6V upgrade to 12V (not sure what this means), 12V for RXG, 12V for RX135; frankly I do not know what this all means. So finally I said, just get me the RX135's.

>> RX100 started out with a 6Volt electrical system. But later in the final year of its production they rolled out 12Volt version.

RX100 12volt magnet drum is better than later RXG and 135 versions. It was lighter. I have experimented with drums on my RX135-5Speed long back in 2003 & 04.
It was a very special RX at that time

Well, I did this long back in 2005's & the problem here on fitting them to RX is the focus. Mazda has 2 of them left & right; the right one tries to focus little towards left to focus on centre & the left one tries to focus little towards right to focus on centre. If one of these is fitted on RX, the focus will also have the same effect unless the headlight is tilted slightly; for example, if you get the right doom, the doom should be pushed slightly right further so that the focus is on centre otherwise the focus is slightly towards left. Hope you got the point.

>> Actually i never did notice any issues with the light throw or focusing with the Swaraj headlamp. I bought a standard LH beam. Maybe what you say is true, but i never noticed it to be a problem.

Quote:
Sankar, Aargee thanks for the info, never knew parts from Swaraj can be used for RX. My RX100 has a 12V unit. Any idea how much the wiring work will cost?

Spike
The Swaraj Mazda round reflector (one from their 4 headlamp truck light combo) is a direct fit in the stock RX headlamp dome. I had this on my RX at one point of time. Reflector unit was of Autopal, and cost me around 110 bucks 4 years back.

The coil rewinding was done at an ordinary coil rewinding shop, at Tilak Nagar, in Blore and it cost me around 1000 bucks. A better job could have been done at Ruby Electricals (quite famous) in Blore, who then would've done a higher quality job and provided me with an upgraded RR unit, obviously for a higher cost. Around 2.5 to 3k iirc.

But i dint have any probs with the rewound the coil kit, and with a 55/60 regular P43T halogen bulb the light was very good.

Quote:
Hey guys, I have two Phillips Extreme power bulbs, that I used for my zen. I have 90/100s now on the zen and the 55/60 Phillips are lying around. Can I use them on the Pulsar 180cc DTSi ? If yes then what are the mods to be done ?
These bulbs will not last long in a two wheeler mainly due to vibrations. I and a friend shared a pair, between his Bullet 500 and my karizma, within couple of weeks one filament was kaput in the Bullet and within a month one was kaput in my Karizma.

Last edited by Sankar : 3rd May 2010 at 10:31.
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:39   #105
BANNED

guys i have a bullet electra 5s. I also want to upgrade the headlamp. which is the best one with White Light. How will it affect the battery?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks