Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 13:37   #1
BHPian

Taking a Brand new 'classic' - RE Bullet 350 Std

Hi all,

For some time now, say 3 months, I have been researching on bikes. I was in search of an upgradation. I used to own a Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTSi (Took it in 2004), and dumped last week(exchanged for 27k) for a Brand new Bullet 350, yeah the original beast!

I had a lot of considerations. I did write in various forums about new bikes. Thunderbird did come across as well, apart from R15, P 220 etc. I have driven all these bikes ranging from R15, P220, P 200, FZ16, RTR, Zma, RE TBTS, RE Electra, RE 500LB and lastly the RE Bullet Std.

My final conclusion is, before any of you guys buy a bike, plz try out the Std Bullet 350. It rocks guys. It really is a class apart from all other bikes in india. Even the 1lakh plus TBTS is no match for its classing thumping and low speed driving capability with its heavy crank. RE 500LB,Machismo 350 and TBTS i voted against for their aluminium engines.
TBTS is smooth,fast,more FE but still the engine feel is poor and might give cluttering and stuffs after some yrs. Electra (although engine is CI) has a 5 speed gear(with false neutrals) and is designed for 'high-speed' with low crank weight. So no bullet mechanic will recommend electra.
Talking of other bikes. all are just 'buzzing' bikes.fast and furious. those are for the kids to play around, not for men!

BULLET IS IN A DIFFERENT LEAGUE

People are sometimes so afraid of bullets heaviness, but tell u guys it is a blessing in disguise. It gives a lot of control and maneuverability even at very slow speeds. had my initial issues with the right side gear shifting. but now everything is in slot after 3 days of riding. And the weight is not felt even while taking it to the center stand. Only time when i felt some heaviness was when i tried to push it over a ramp though

Thers nothing quite like a Bullet. Everyone respects you. You feel like a King. Yest going thru the highway, even two Pilots going a Taxi to Cochin airport(probably) stared at my Bullet while i passed thru their side. I was so flattered. WOWWWWW.
I was NOT a bullet fan till i owned one last friday and now a 'proud' owner of one. Not a single friend of mine questioned my decision. Everyone just said 'wow'. Sometimes my friends mom's (who otherwise dont greet me well when i go to their house) came out to have a look at the beast!!!. Trust me when I say - IT FEELS GREAT.

I will be constantly updating this post based on the Kms i cover. Currently showing 150kms no probs as yet. 500 kms is first service. Mileage and other factors will let u know in due course.

Till then - Happy Biking to all.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th March 2009 at 16:59. Reason: see note in post
Old 30th March 2009, 15:39   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Congrats on the buy mate. And yeah, best of luck with your ride. It's a heart decision, don't let her go so easy.
By the way, how much you had to wait for it? Up here the waiting period is anywhere between 20 days to a month.

cheers
bharti22shresth
Old 30th March 2009, 15:42   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharti22shresth View Post
waiting period is anywhere between 20 days to a month.
Waiting period? The titanium used in the engine internals became scarce?

Longtime since i saw a new 350 STD. Can you post some pics?
Old 30th March 2009, 17:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sam on getting a new Bullet

Quote:
RE 500LB,Machismo 350 and TBTS i voted against for their aluminium engines.
TBTS is smooth,fast,more FE but still the engine feel is poor and might give cluttering and stuffs after some yrs.
The AVLs do have clatter(not cluttering) but are more reliable & Fuel efficient

Quote:
Electra (although engine is CI) has a 5 speed gear(with false neutrals) and is designed for 'high-speed' with low crank weight. So no bullet mechanic will recommend electra.
I am reading this for the first time can someone else confirm?

Quote:
Talking of other bikes. all are just 'buzzing' bikes.fast and furious. those are for the kids to play around, not for men!
I hope you were not serious

Quote:
BULLET IS IN A DIFFERENT LEAGUE
I agree

Quote:
Thers nothing quite like a Bullet. Everyone respects you. You feel like a King. Yest going thru the highway, even two Pilots going a Taxi to Cochin airport(probably) stared at my Bullet while i passed thru their side. I was so flattered. WOWWWWW.
I was NOT a bullet fan till i owned one last friday and now a 'proud' owner of one. Not a single friend of mine questioned my decision. Everyone just said 'wow'. Sometimes my friends mom's (who otherwise dont greet me well when i go to their house) came out to have a look at the beast!!!. Trust me when I say - IT FEELS GREAT.
Good for you.

Please keep posting all the regular updates
Old 30th March 2009, 19:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sam_Sant2005.

The STD350 is a true classic man. Please make sure you run her in well and stick to the oil change intervals. The C.I. Engines DO NOT tolerate abuse, especially during the running in. And also don't lug the engine(high gear at a low speed) even though the STD350 can chug along at low speeds. Enjoy your Bull.
Old 30th March 2009, 19:23   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

I suppose the company only has the proper answer to that question. But yeah, I reconfirm there IS a waiting. And, actually, the 350STD is the largest selling model in the whole royal enfield line up. Going by the dealers in the chandigarh i.e.

cheers
bharti22shresth
Old 31st March 2009, 13:46   #7
BHPian

Congrats man. Enjoy the ride. I hope she will be there with you for a long time to come. And My electra is 4 speed with right hand shift. The only change is in the ignition system .

Be very careful in the running in period. Thats where the life of your engine is determined

Babu
Old 31st March 2009, 14:27   #8
BHPian

Congrats Sam! Enfield is in very different league of bikes....it is always close to rider's heart unlike any other bike. I have been riding Enfield (Deluxe '89 & now Machismo '01) for 13 years...and I can't even think of replacing my Old Technology, High Maintenace, Fully-Mechanical Enfield with a Newer Hi-Fi, Easy To Maintain, Stylish Bike. That's what passion for Enfield is all about.
Enjoy your ride....and ride safe!

Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by deepgautam_qa : 31st March 2009 at 14:33.
Old 31st March 2009, 23:01   #9
BHPian

photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharti22shresth View Post
Congrats on the buy mate. And yeah, best of luck with your ride. It's a heart decision, don't let her go so easy.
By the way, how much you had to wait for it? Up here the waiting period is anywhere between 20 days to a month.

cheers
bharti22shresth
Here in Cochin the waiting period for Std is 5-6 days. Since I took by ready cash the dealer gave me instant delivery

Dear Technocrat,

See be it clutter or clatter one thing i heard myself personally in an AVL Thunderbird - A VERY TERRIBLE sound from the engine which shocked me. And that is the point where I dropped TBTS. Although it has a newer UCE engine I got afraid of these aluminium stuffs.

Then all of you here will agree that the crank weight of 10.25kgs is present only for Std 350. Nor the Electra neither TBTS has it.

Im enjoying the sound from the new 'louder' silencer (which now comes with std), driving at speeds of 30-40kmph. THE REAL THUMP.

But guys Iam having a stupid issue with by Carb. When i park it, if i dont close the knob theres a bad leak from it. Petrol is dripping from the bottom of the carb. I took it to RE service yest and mechanic adjusted something but again its happening. Hope to take it there again tomo. What might be the issue? Anyone has an idea? And due to this leak probably, i got a mileage of 20kmpl

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st March 2009 at 23:22. Reason: External hosting of picture, not showing also
Old 31st March 2009, 23:15   #10
BHPian

bullet photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Old 31st March 2009, 23:30   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Here in Cochin the waiting period for Std is 5-6 days. Since I took by ready cash the dealer gave me instant delivery

Dear Technocrat,

See be it clutter or clatter one thing i heard myself personally in an AVL Thunderbird - A VERY TERRIBLE sound from the engine which shocked me. And that is the point where I dropped TBTS. Although it has a newer UCE engine I got afraid of these aluminium stuffs.

Then all of you here will agree that the crank weight of 10.25kgs is present only for Std 350. Nor the Electra neither TBTS has it.

Im enjoying the sound from the new 'louder' silencer (which now comes with std), driving at speeds of 30-40kmph. THE REAL THUMP.

But guys Iam having a stupid issue with by Carb. When i park it, if i dont close the knob theres a bad leak from it. Petrol is dripping from the bottom of the carb. I took it to RE service yest and mechanic adjusted something but again its happening. Hope to take it there again tomo. What might be the issue? Anyone has an idea? And due to this leak probably, i got a mileage of 20kmpl

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.
sweet pictures man.
I hope you do wear a helmet while riding. . Anyways the bullet standard is the safari superimposition to the bike world in terms of niggling problems. It slowly grows on you. Don't worry. Give her sometime to settle.
And bullets don't leak man, they mark there territory.
Old 31st March 2009, 23:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Good one Big man. this is the real classic rite off the shelf. i would recomend you to get the Ctylic convertor removed and you would see the difference.

good going congrats once again
Old 1st April 2009, 08:42   #13
BHPian

Pictures

Nice Pics Sam, Keep the bull and your self that way!
SHINING AND SMILING

Regards
Old 1st April 2009, 08:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Looks good
congrats

Keep thumping.
Old 1st April 2009, 11:02   #15
BANNED

Nice pics. Other then the STD and the Machismo no other model - other then the clubman ofcourse, it never came to India though - i never liked the looks of the other bikes.

Big and majestic.

Oh and about being passionate about a Bullet, i am equally passionate about my CBZ, RD, RX and even my wife's Scooty. I dont go as per brands.

Most Viewed