Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2009, 16:03   #16
BHPian

Like Kuttappan said, the GP is a much rarer bike, you are better off restoring this one. You will eventually find a DX.

There are a few mechs sitting on parts, and I ve been trying to help a few friends get their bikes running, but the botton line today, Furys are good to sit in your living room or as eye candy in your garage.

Speaking of which, my mech gave away his one owner Fury yesterday. Repainted only once, all taxes and etc etc uptodate (as on last year). He got the bike and just let it sit around, it was a runner when he got it. Oh, and it was a DX175.

Last edited by the_trooper : 31st March 2009 at 16:04. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 31st March 2009, 16:23   #17

Another co sufferer in the offing.. lol

Sid... its really tough to restore Fury's man. I have right mech and a enough contacts. But my bikes still not done after 2 years Have tried to get parts from coimbi / chennai / delhi etc. Spent a bomb on parts, but still some odds and ends wont work.. and this bike's design is such that even if some small rubber or plastic part is missing, things wont work!

My suggestion is don't bother trying to change panels etc and make the job tougher.. best to work with what you have. Unless you can find another DX175 and can strip it for parts. And suggest dont try to get to originality too much. I tried that and result is that I cant even get it out

The push rod which changes gears is the unit that will give the most trouble. And 9 out of 10 rods you may find today are local fakes. They just wont work right on the German gearbox

There is a guy in Germany who supplies parts... but converting Euro's is insanely expensive, and shipping is another bomb :(

There is a local yahoo group for Fury's also.. but its mostly inactive since the owners with running bikes are too few and far in between I guess

Sandeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
i just bought a fury gp 175 , from a friend , need help restoring it.

i am told and i have read that the fury had lot of problems with the gears ( problems with gears slipping and changing gears). this is my biggest concern .

also i personally dont like the gp version , i would prefer to convert this to the DX version if i can get my hands on the side panels and the rear mudguard.

havent been able to start and ride mainly coz i havent had the time in the last 2 days .

need help finding parts, hoping chennai bhpians can help.

also did the gp version come with a fairing?
Old 31st March 2009, 16:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepm View Post
Another co sufferer in the offing.. lol

Sid... its really tough to restore Fury's man. I have right mech and a enough contacts. But my bikes still not done after 2 years Have tried to get parts from coimbi / chennai / delhi etc. Spent a bomb on parts, but still some odds and ends wont work.. and this bike's design is such that even if some small rubber or plastic part is missing, things wont work!

My suggestion is don't bother trying to change panels etc and make the job tougher.. best to work with what you have. Unless you can find another DX175 and can strip it for parts. And suggest dont try to get to originality too much. I tried that and result is that I cant even get it out

The push rod which changes gears is the unit that will give the most trouble. And 9 out of 10 rods you may find today are local fakes. They just wont work right on the German gearbox

There is a guy in Germany who supplies parts... but converting Euro's is insanely expensive, and shipping is another bomb :(

There is a local yahoo group for Fury's also.. but its mostly inactive since the owners with running bikes are too few and far in between I guess

Sandeep
very encouraging! i must say . LOL . sandeep , why cant we fabricate the particular rod and get it properly heat treated and make sure we use the right material , i think it might be possible , anyway , id would love to see ur bike , pls put up some pics , if you dont mind , please PM me your contact details .

@trooper , i would restore this bike in the gp form , but will try and change to DX if i find the reqd parts. please lemme know of mech , part etc whatever regarding this bike .

Last edited by siddartha : 31st March 2009 at 16:53.
Old 1st April 2009, 03:56   #19
BHPian

Sid: Try and contact Mr. Muthukumar who is also a member here and goes by the ID powertwin. He has a very good knowledge about these motorcycles and has done an excellent job on his. He is from coimbatore.
Old 1st April 2009, 17:18   #20
BHPian

Brought back old memories

Brought back old memories
I was in 6th or 7th grade,my neighbor's son's friend had one,used to admire it,sat on it doing imaginary rides.it was one of the first bikes that caught my attention because i found it not usual as other bikes(alloy wheels+disc brake).I had totally forgotten about it,but this thread brought it back to mind.
Will ask about his friend's bike's fate when next time he comes to hometown..
Old 1st April 2009, 17:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i just bought a fury gp 175 , from a friend , need help restoring it.
Oh, so this is the one you were talking about. Looks drool mall for restoration. best of luck and my best wishes.

Quote:
thanx a lot guys , i hope i havent got myself something that's gonna take its toll on me trying to restore it .....
As if you didn't have enough to worry about your vRS.
Don't worry all of T-BHP is with you in this journey to give you 'moral' support over the next couple of years of this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
Brought back old memories..
Same here. I think it would be similar for lots of people -- but Sid has some courage to actually 'act' and try to bring/relive those memories. Kudos to him and all the best
Old 1st April 2009, 19:26   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Oh, so this is the one you were talking about. Looks drool mall for restoration. best of luck and my best wishes.

As if you didn't have enough to worry about your vRS.
Don't worry all of T-BHP is with you in this journey to give you 'moral' support over the next couple of years of this project.

Same here. I think it would be similar for lots of people -- but Sid has some courage to actually 'act' and try to bring/relive those memories. Kudos to him and all the best
by god's grace or my good luck , off late havent had too much to worry abt the RS , thanks a lot shanavaz, keep the support coming , hopefully this gets done by the time i am 30 .
Old 1st April 2009, 19:55   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Also 'oral' support .
Old 1st April 2009, 20:02   #24
BANNED

Quote:
very encouraging! i must say . LOL . sandeep , why cant we fabricate the particular rod and get it properly heat treated and make sure we use the right material , i think it might be possible , anyway , id would love to see ur bike , pls put up some pics , if you dont mind , please PM me your contact details .

@trooper , i would restore this bike in the gp form , but will try and change to DX if i find the reqd parts. please lemme know of mech , part etc whatever regarding this bike .

Fury , silver plus , explorer share the same kind of gear box mechanism . ( actually the gear box is not a box , but it is a pipe with holes in it and it is inserted into the gears . The pipe has gears on the outside and the so called push rod goes inside the pipe . The push rod has steps or grooves and while sliding back and forth pushes the balls to mate with the selected gear .

If your bike gear box works well then just pull out the push rod and get some duplicate rods made . The material has to be made of a high tensile material and the original rod was made of that material . The same concept is used in Bajaj scooters and autos .

Another thing is the crank shaft has different kind of bearings ,not the standard bearings , I guess they are rollers . You might have to modify the bearings to insert them .

Apart from these the oils seals are easy to match with other bike ,car , truck oil seals . You must be a bit patient enough to search for the oil seals .

I used to won a fury 10 -15 yrs back and I did restore the bike on my own .. but i lost interest and sold the bike without alloys , front forks . I had a RD 350 and swapped the parts .

I can try help you out in my free time if you are from chennai .
Old 1st April 2009, 20:54   #25
BHPian

[quote=siddartha;1237784]i just bought a fury gp 175 , from a friend , need help restoring it.

i am told and i have read that the fury had lot of problems with the gears ( problems with gears slipping and changing gears). this is my biggest concern .

also i personally dont like the gp version , i would prefer to convert this to the DX version if i can get my hands on the side panels and the rear mudguard.

havent been able to start and ride mainly coz i havent had the time in the last 2 days .

need help finding parts, hoping chennai bhpians can help.
Hi,
The bike seems to be decent with almost all cosmetics!!
If your papers say it as a "Fury GP 175", then go ahead>>>>>>>
plz see the Fury posted here !! and guess, how the stuff looks( rather works !!!) now
This Fury seen here is a 1987 DX 175

This bike was modified by the previous owner as you see!!
He even asked extra money for those "Full Fairing"
ps: will come to this thread in near future for more discussion
Attached Thumbnails
Help required for restoring Enfield Fury 175 gp-bqfurybeforeresteration.jpg  

Old 2nd April 2009, 16:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Also 'oral' support .
haha ,lol , hrag -"oral" support? no thanks!, lol

@powertwin- how much is he asking for this bike , its looks modded , and thw work doesnt look that good.

@greatmana- thanks a lot for the info , i am from bangalore , actually , i will be in chennai this week end for the track day , instead of me coming there on sunday , i can come there and meet you on saturday .

Last edited by siddartha : 2nd April 2009 at 16:44.
Old 2nd April 2009, 18:14   #27
BHPian

[quote=siddartha;1242903]haha ,lol , hrag -"oral" support? no thanks!, lol

@powertwin- how much is he asking for this bike, its looks modded, and the work doesnt look that good.

@ siddartha: I asked you to see my Fury before restoration (the posted pics which you saw yesterday) & now you can see my Fury after restoration. if you are interested to know, what happened in between the two avatars(?)

We'll share our if & buts.

ps: My Fury DX 175 is not for sale sid !!
Attached Thumbnails
Help required for restoring Enfield Fury 175 gp-myfurydx1751.jpg-1.jpg  

Help required for restoring Enfield Fury 175 gp-myfurydx17512.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd April 2009 at 18:30. Reason: Readability, please preview post before submitting and avoid .....
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:59   #28

Hi guys.

I am new here, was given a link to this particular topic by a guy whom i have been in touch with some time ago regarding the Fury.

A short intro - my name is Frank Thanh Thai, i am German, but i live in Bangkok/Thailand since December 2008.

In Germany i have worked as a mechanic in a small work shop that used to be a Zundapp-Dealership when that brand was still "alive" and in the later years (it closed 2001) still had a large customer base via used Zundapp mopeds and spare parts, repairs etc.

We also sold imported Enfield-CS 25 (the CS 50 was imported as well but we didn't sell them, this is the one you know as "Explorer"), which is how i became first aware of the Enfield-Zundapp relationship.

Now the reason for me becoming active on this page is that i used to own a number of Zundapp mopeds, and also a KS 175. Which, as you probably know, is the German equivalent to the Enfield Fury.

I may be able to offer assistance in terms of tips and tricks with that bike, and maybe even assistance in sourcing parts from germany where the KS 175 still has a fan base and where certain parts are still available.

But what i can say for sure is that you will NOT get cylinders there - as the German KS 175 was always water cooled, in Germany no air-cooled version has ever been sold. The near-identical looking KS 125 has been sold in air-cooled but it has only 125 cc (same 17 horse power though) and it has a different crank shaft/con rod than the KS 175, otherwise the engines/gear boxes are 100% identical.

I know that things like ball bearrings, shaft seals, Bosch ignition units (both inner and outer) as well as certain modification parts for those (a 12V conversion kit for example), clutch plates etc can still be sourced in Germany from a number of Zundapp parts dealers, i am more than happy to go and ask questions in the right places for you.

If anyone is interested,you can also become member at Germany's largest Zundapp-forum, however obviously the going language there is German - few people there are able to converse in English. Nevertheless you may have a look, Die Zündapp-Community

Nowadays i am riding Yamaha RXZ (got two of those, plus a VRR) but my heart still beats for Zundapp and hence also for Enfield.

With kind regards.

your Thanh
Thanh-BKK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2009, 23:22   #29
BHPian

Thanh: Welcome to the forum. Thanks a lot for offering to help. I am sure the guys around here would be more than happy to take tips from you. Take a tour of the website and you will see a lot more interesting things, especially the vintage/classics section, where you'l see some beautiful german machines.

Cheers
Old 3rd April 2009, 01:33   #30
BHPian

thats so kind of u frank! i need the speedo worm and disc pads.. bt dunno how to get em..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks