Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 19:26   #1
BHPian

Help required for restoring Enfield Fury 175 gp

i just bought a fury gp 175 , from a friend , need help restoring it.

i am told and i have read that the fury had lot of problems with the gears ( problems with gears slipping and changing gears). this is my biggest concern .

also i personally dont like the gp version , i would prefer to convert this to the DX version if i can get my hands on the side panels and the rear mudguard.

havent been able to start and ride mainly coz i havent had the time in the last 2 days .

need help finding parts, hoping chennai bhpians can help.

also did the gp version come with a fairing?
Attached Thumbnails
Help required for restoring Enfield Fury 175 gp-dabguli-036.jpg  

Last edited by siddartha : 30th March 2009 at 19:27.
siddartha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2009, 21:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. How does she run and what did you pay for it.

The Fury exhaust beat is to die for.
Yes the GP version had a fairing similar to the explorer. RTZ headlight would be a good fit.
Old 30th March 2009, 21:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

mmmmmmm, me like that front disc...
Old 30th March 2009, 22:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I have one on my RD

Congrats on your purchase but its gonna be a hard task.. coz no spares are available. nowhere. especially engine, gearbox components. not even oil seals are available
Old 30th March 2009, 23:05   #5
BHPian

the head fins too are different from the DX version. i never knew this model went into production. have seen many DXs but never this one.
Old 31st March 2009, 00:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. The bike definitely needs some TLC.
I remember seeing a similar bike (in the apt complex where I used to live). It was owned by an Anglo-Indian guy,who used to take good care of the bike.Loved the sound of those pipes. This was in the early 90's,though. Not sure what happened to the bike since.
Old 31st March 2009, 00:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

It would be possible to find parts of a DX version and do a makeover, but why go that route? In that case, you should have picked up a DX.

My suggestion is to restore it as a GP itself, it is rarer, I think. Parts are very very hard to get, try Online/friends in Germany as well.
Old 31st March 2009, 03:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
That a Brembo big man. it has some good capability but as conpared to the ones today it loses some how.
Old 31st March 2009, 12:52   #9
BANNED

OT: Is the car in the background being restored too?
Old 31st March 2009, 13:00   #10
BHPian

Hey congaratz buddy .
AFIK Fury was the first bike launched in india with a disc brake and alloy wheels as a standard feature .
Old 31st March 2009, 13:06   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the bike I fell in love with when I was 17!

I love the Enfield Fury. I wish you all the best. I know nothing technical and cannot help you with anything more than good wishes.
Old 31st March 2009, 13:21   #12
BHPian

thanx a lot guys , i hope i havent got myself something that's gonna take its toll on me trying to restore it .

the gp version was a failed attempt to revive the dyin sales of the fury ,
but somehow the mix n match styling of the gp doesnt go too well with me .
i wanted DX but couldn find one , so i settled for this version .

the fins on the head are different on the DX another reason why i wanted the DX.

the headlight was removed for some reason , but i have it , the meters need some work , and the usual , paint , chrome etc , but before i go in for all that i was hoping to find the DX panels.

are any parts available in chennai , anything at all ? who to ask ? need a contact there.

like i said , i still dont know how it runs , havent done anything yet ,

@spitfire, the car in the background , is in running condition , but needs a paint job.

also does anyone here own a fury? if yes pls put some pics , and any pics of the bike will be aprreciated as , havent been able to find any pics of the bike, so i have nothing to compare this against .

Last edited by siddartha : 31st March 2009 at 13:23.
Old 31st March 2009, 13:26   #13
BHPian

Hi! Sid,
I had the 3rd Fury DX in Ruby Red, bought in 1988 from one of the Enfiled motors on Old madras road. The bike was fantastic, but the indian mechanics could did not have the knowledge on how to service or fix it. The original came with a radiator (liquid cooling).

Due to its design of a push-rod engine, the main failures were the push rod which kept getting damaged every month. IT was my first bike and oh boy did it have power of 18BHP and the Brembo disc in front to stop it.

Am not sure if you can still get parts for it but try speaking to someone in Ranipet at the Enfiled Factory and they might be able to help. Sorry I sold my bike a long time back in mint showroom condition and dont have spares, otherwise I would have just given them to you. All the best for your restoration.
Old 31st March 2009, 13:31   #14
BHPian

Hi Siddarth,

I saw a Fury with the "Teknik Motors" (enfield dealer) in Ulsoor, few months ago. I think Anand who owns the dealership might be able to help you with parts and restoration (my guess). Let me know if you would like to have their contact details?

Cheers
-Vaspro
Old 31st March 2009, 13:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Hi! Sid,
I had the 3rd Fury DX in Ruby Red, bought in 1988 from one of the Enfiled motors on Old madras road. The bike was fantastic, but the indian mechanics could did not have the knowledge on how to service or fix it. The original came with a radiator (liquid cooling).

Due to its design of a push-rod engine, the main failures were the push rod which kept getting damaged every month. IT was my first bike and oh boy did it have power of 18BHP and the Brembo disc in front to stop it.

Am not sure if you can still get parts for it but try speaking to someone in Ranipet at the Enfiled Factory and they might be able to help. Sorry I sold my bike a long time back in mint showroom condition and dont have spares, otherwise I would have just given them to you. All the best for your restoration.
thanks pritvi , ranipet isnt far away , i can go there and search. and yes ruby red , love the fury in that color , most probably gonna go for that .

hey what do u mean by a push rod in 2 stroke engine?

vaspro , thanks , lemme know pls , also where is this place exactly , so i can visit them when i am in that part of town.

@sam kapasi , i know what u mean , i am trying to revive an old flame !

Last edited by siddartha : 31st March 2009 at 13:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks