Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2009, 10:27   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I wouldn't talk bout numbers till the bike is put on a dyno. 3HP i doubt, by just changing cam timing is not possible...If cams and the timing pinion etc are genuine RE items then cam timing will not be off from stock. Enfield is not that bad
3 hp is what the guys who've tested on a dyno say. Don't think it's impossible. Also while the tolerances of the cam profiles aren't great, probably more important is how the mechanic puts it together. I'll make sure I check the timing with a wheel before I try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
A friend of yours met me today, Mehdi. Was asking me for a clubman and rearsets for his Machismo 500 LB. I said it'll take sometime since I have my post-grad papers coming up.
Yeah heard about that Gordon. He recognised the bike as he was driving by. Guess it does stop people in their tracks keep us updated on those rearsets.

Last edited by v12 : 3rd May 2009 at 12:35.
Old 3rd May 2009, 18:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500modder View Post
3 hp is what the guys who've tested on a dyno say. Don't think it's impossible. Also while the tolerances of the cam profiles aren't great, probably more important is how the mechanic puts it together. I'll make sure I check the timing with a wheel before I try this.
Yep thats what they say.. but i haven't seen any chart posted by them.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:22   #33
BHPian

Well guys, the last I wrote my mechanic and I had just started putting the whole bike together. The hardest part was finding a way for the wiring to be routed. As I mentioned earlier, we should have left more room under and in front of the under-seat box for the wiring to pass through. Oh well, live and learn! In the end we did manage. At some point I may just get the box rebuild with better specifications and better finishing. Right now I just wanna ride!

I went to Grant Road to get the seat made (guy who sits on the intersection near Delhi Darbar Restaurant). He did a pretty good job of shaping the foam. I wanted a cafe seat with a mild hump that someone can sit on if necessary. It turns out the hump is quite comfortable and you don't feel like you're going to slide off. Here is what it looked like before I covered it.

My Enfield Cafe Racer Project-seat-foam.jpg

After we put everything together it was time for my first ride! There were a few niggles, like the chain touching the rear fender when the rear suspension compressed. I got the anterior part of the fender cut a bit more. But all in all, the bike felt awesome! So here she finally is:

My Enfield Cafe Racer Project-dsc_0263.jpg

My Enfield Cafe Racer Project-dsc_0274.jpg

My Enfield Cafe Racer Project-dsc_0276.jpg

My Enfield Cafe Racer Project-dsc_0277.jpg

My Enfield Cafe Racer Project-dsc_0278.jpg

My Enfield Cafe Racer Project-dsc_0280-.jpg

My Enfield Cafe Racer Project-dsc_0282.jpg

The flat slide carb seems to be working ok, although I wont know until I can open up the throttle. Right now I'm doing less than 1/8th throttle as I have new piston rings. My mechanic tells me that since the piston and the barrel are unchanged and everything seems to fit real well, it won't take long before the rings set in and I can open her up - maybe 300 kms of riding at 50.

My first impressions: lots of power, very light with all the extra parts removed, great handling - although turn-in should improve even more when I get the 110/90 tire in the rear and put the 100/90 in front (right now both tires have a similar thickness). The extra torquey feel is probably due to the free-flow exhaust, but the reduction in weight probably helps too. It sounds pretty loud - but I can live with it.

Here's another picture of the bike with Nagesh, my mechanic. This is the 3rd bike we've made together and his engine work is outstanding - the bike starts with a light kick and feels powerful. There are never leaks and his bikes never need to be opened up again to correct mistakes. Couldn't have done it without him.

My Enfield Cafe Racer Project-nagesh.jpg

There are a few more things to be done: 1) have to buy the rear tyre 2) the rear indicators look too large. 3) the carb needs to be adjusted and maybe jetted. As always send in your suggestions and comments. Cheers.
500modder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2009, 16:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hey Mr. Modder the bike looks amazing but lacks something that Gordon has in his bike.

the thing that sets your cafe apart from all is the tank.
Now i think that its the time for you to get the Rear sets. that would give your bike the stance that you are looking for you cant really sit straight on a cafe. get the Rear sets and you are all set then and do try to get a number plate at the rear it will give it a great look . a small front number plate at the front would also look great.
Old 11th May 2009, 16:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

Looking good Liked the final shape of the bike, especially the tank and the seat. You might want to shift to rearsets to complete the cafe look.
Old 11th May 2009, 16:41   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Hey Mr. Modder the bike looks amazing but lacks something that Gordon has in his bike.
the thing that sets your cafe apart from all is the tank.
Now i think that its the time for you to get the Rear sets. that would give your bike the stance that you are looking for you cant really sit straight on a cafe. get the Rear sets and you are all set then and do try to get a number plate at the rear it will give it a great look . a small front number plate at the front would also look great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Looking good Liked the final shape of the bike, especially the tank and the seat. You might want to shift to rearsets to complete the cafe look.
Thanks guys. Yeah I definitely need rearsets. The handle feels great but the foot position is way too far forward. I think the pegs need to be moved around 8 inches rearwards. I'm working on this.

Not putting on number plates on. Think they'll just add more clutter. I'm happy with the minimal look at the moment.

Think I'm going to focus on performance-related mods now. Will keep ya'll posted.
Old 11th May 2009, 16:53   #37
BHPian

hey 500, great looking bike, love the clean lines. Could you share your mechs details with me? iv been looking for a good mech for some time. thanks
Old 11th May 2009, 17:27   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
hey 500, great looking bike, love the clean lines. Could you share your mechs details with me? iv been looking for a good mech for some time. thanks
Hey Howler, thanks for the comments man. Nagesh's workshop is at the petrol pump in front of Oriental House on Jamsedji Tata Road (the Ritz Hotel Road), Churchgate. His number is 22844065.

Also check out this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ic-mumbai.html

Good luck.
Old 11th May 2009, 17:56   #39
BHPian

Very nice. Great to see so much time and effort going into this kind of work.
Old 12th May 2009, 00:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

The bike looks good. The pics show the tank's finish very well. A few pointers:
  • Replace the "Yamaha" indicators with "Enfield" indicators.
  • Mount front indicators on original Enfield L brackets on the fork.
  • Mount the rear indicators
  • For rearsets, you will have to replace the seat with a cafe seat. This seat is too low for rearsets. The position will be as impossible as the front footpegs.
  • Get a proper rear number plate coupled with the BSA taillight.
  • Install a number plate or Royal Enfield plate below the headlight.
  • Rotate the handlebar a bit lower.
Old 12th May 2009, 00:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Notice the original Enfield Clubman. The seat is much higher, which is why it'd be more comfortable.

My Enfield Cafe Racer Project-clubman.jpg
Old 12th May 2009, 10:43   #42
BHPian

u need a round tail light , and ur indicators at the back are too close together . uve got to get rear sets as well .

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th May 2009 at 19:06. Reason: see note in post
Old 12th May 2009, 12:51   #43
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

500modder, the outcome of your Cafe Racer is truly amazing . The tank is the main highlight which sets it apart from all other Cafe Racers made here (including ours). However along with Gordon's and 2SJ's I too have a couple of feedback / suggestions to offer :

Drop the handlebars a bit so that you get a better position. Incase you do not wish to lower the bars, increase the seat height.
You have to go for rear-sets. This sort of position will be very uncomfortable for you on long rides.
If possible mount the headlights a bit lower in line with the tank. No offence - but this setup makes the front look like a camel. The same was the case when we started with our Yamaha, so we shifted it lower.
Shift the rear indicators under the seat or fix it on the rear shocks.

Once again a very good job done. So when do we all plan a Cafe meet? We've got 5 on the forum now! And hope many more to join in.
Old 18th May 2009, 16:52   #44
BHPian

Quote:
  • Replace the "Yamaha" indicators with "Enfield" indicators.
  • Mount front indicators on original Enfield L brackets on the fork.
  • Mount the rear indicators
  • For rearsets, you will have to replace the seat with a cafe seat. This seat is too low for rearsets. The position will be as impossible as the front footpegs.
  • Get a proper rear number plate coupled with the BSA taillight.
  • Install a number plate or Royal Enfield plate below the headlight.
  • Rotate the handlebar a bit lower.
u need a round tail light , and ur indicators at the back are too close together . uve got to get rear sets as well .

Drop the handlebars a bit so that you get a better position. In case you do not wish to lower the bars, increase the seat height.
You have to go for rear-sets. This sort of position will be very uncomfortable for you on long rides.
If possible mount the headlights a bit lower in line with the tank. No offence - but this setup makes the front look like a camel. The same was the case when we started with our Yamaha, so we shifted it lower.
Shift the rear indicators under the seat or fix it on the rear shocks.
Hey guys thanks for the great feedback. I'm going to lower the headlight as you recommended. Can't do it by a lot as some of the wiring may not stretch too far, but 2-3 inches should be possible and I think that may do it.

As for the seat, I am working on another seat with a fixed cowl. This seat may be a bit higher than the one I have. As I mentioned before, I'm getting a Biltwel clubman bar and bar end mirrors like the ones below, so I will definitely need rearsets

My Enfield Cafe Racer Project-one-inch-clubmans-chrome.jpg

My Enfield Cafe Racer Project-830mirrorl.jpg

Hitchcock's rearsets cost around USD400. So I'm going to try to make my own. Lets see how it works out. (Gordon and V12 - any technical advice you can offer is appreciated).

My rear indicators are too large and need to be replaced, but perhaps not with the enfield ones. Guys, I'm not going for any kind of historical accuracy here - cafe racers have always been 'parts bin specials' - that's what makes each one unique.

Anyone have ideas on engine / performance mods for this bike? It's already got a shaved the head, 18T sprocket, flatslide carb and freeflow exhaust. Any other ideas?
Old 18th May 2009, 19:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hitchcock's rearsets cost around USD400.
Seriously wonder why they are so expensive. The handlebar and bar-end mirrors are very good. I guess they are decently priced, dont know about the shipping charges though. The seat must be straight in line with the tank.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks