Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 13:30   #76
BHPian

High compression piston:
A friend and I were looking into transplanting a bigger bore piston into the bike. Since this would displace more, it would compress more gasses into the same head volume and the compression would be raised. One possibility is the CRV piston. Apparently this has been done before and it's working fine on another bike, with a bearing on the big end. The deck height of the CRV piston is lower that the standard 500 iron barrel piston, so this transplant involves increasing the stroke by installing a different con-rod. However I'm not convinced we'd be able to get the tolerances at the Gudgeon pin and big end close enough to make this reliable. Anyone out there know a machine shop in Mumbai that can do this properly?

The other (proper) way to do it is to order the high compression kit from abroad - piston, cams, big end bearing, etc. This will cost around $900, to start with. See costs here. I'm not sure all that expenditure is worth it for this bike, especially given what the end gains will be - I mean the Enfield is never gonna be a Ducati
To cut a long story short, we're still looking into it. Any ideas to avoid silly expenditure are welcome.

Exhaust
Putting on a free flow exhaust by itself will probably not do that much good. To get the full effect of this you have to also add a free flow air filter and re-jet your carb. Some may even choose add a bigger carb and 'port' the inlet and exhaust ports since the standard cast iron parts can be a bit rough. My bike has a 30mm flatslide carb. With all these mods there is a decent increase in torque. The glass wool is for sound damping since the other exhaust I had was way too loud.
Old 21st July 2010, 17:24   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post
Mirrors are from an old R60/6. Tank and Seat were done by a local talent.
And yup, a good friend of mine has picked up this sweet ride from me.

next project, enfield flat track racer.

neat ride, where did you get the rear sets from?
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:20   #78
BHPian

Where can I buy:

Alloy front mudguard
Alloy rear mudguard
18 inch rims preferably in alloy but will take stainless
Stainless spokes for both front and rear rims
Alloy top yoke
Smiths rev counter
Alloy petrol tank but will take a steel one if necessary
Alloy rear sets
Rear light and number plate assembly
Clip on bars c/w shorter cables
Alloy front engine plates
Headlight assembly c/w mounting brackets, ammeter and all fixings
500 Alloy cylinder
Clubman style side covers
Stainless bar end mirrors
Old 28th November 2010, 00:54   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500modder View Post
High compression piston:
A friend and I were looking into transplanting a bigger bore piston into the bike. Since this would displace more, it would compress more gasses into the same head volume and the compression would be raised. One possibility is the CRV piston. Apparently this has been done before and it's working fine on another bike, with a bearing on the big end. The deck height of the CRV piston is lower that the standard 500 iron barrel piston, so this transplant involves increasing the stroke by installing a different con-rod. However I'm not convinced we'd be able to get the tolerances at the Gudgeon pin and big end close enough to make this reliable. Anyone out there know a machine shop in Mumbai that can do this properly?

The other (proper) way to do it is to order the high compression kit from abroad - piston, cams, big end bearing, etc. This will cost around $900, to start with. See costs here. I'm not sure all that expenditure is worth it for this bike, especially given what the end gains will be - I mean the Enfield is never gonna be a Ducati
To cut a long story short, we're still looking into it. Any ideas to avoid silly expenditure are welcome.

Exhaust
Putting on a free flow exhaust by itself will probably not do that much good. To get the full effect of this you have to also add a free flow air filter and re-jet your carb. Some may even choose add a bigger carb and 'port' the inlet and exhaust ports since the standard cast iron parts can be a bit rough. My bike has a 30mm flatslide carb. With all these mods there is a decent increase in torque. The glass wool is for sound damping since the other exhaust I had was way too loud.
CRV piston can be fitted in 350???
Old 14th December 2010, 13:25   #80
BHPian

re: My Enfield Cafe Racer Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
neat ride, where did you get the rear sets from?
Got them made at Anthony's garage in Bandra, Bombay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Head View Post
Where can I buy:

Alloy front mudguard
Alloy rear mudguard
18 inch rims preferably in alloy but will take stainless
Stainless spokes for both front and rear rims
Alloy top yoke
Smiths rev counter
Alloy petrol tank but will take a steel one if necessary
Alloy rear sets
Rear light and number plate assembly
Clip on bars c/w shorter cables
Alloy front engine plates
Headlight assembly c/w mounting brackets, ammeter and all fixings
500 Alloy cylinder
Clubman style side covers
Stainless bar end mirrors
Hard to get all those things in the same place. There's an area in Bombay called Lamington road where all this is available albeit in different little shops. Alternatively in Delhi's Carol Bagh market. There are some online stores like this one - I've bought something from Ashish at Royal Motors before and he shipped it to Bombay, but his payment gateway wasn't very reliable, so I'd deal with him on the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetjatt View Post
CRV piston can be fitted in 350???
Doubt it. The barrel and bore size if totally different.

Last edited by 500modder : 14th December 2010 at 13:27. Reason: inserted shortened link
Old 14th December 2010, 13:34   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
How's the sound and performance? I am also planning for one.
The sound is far more decent than my last one - which didn't have glass wool. It was so loud that it started to seriously irritate me while riding. This one is also a 'straight-through' muffler, so the bike revs more freely through the range. The perforations in the tube and the glass wool really helps to dampen sound. If you're in Bombay, Anthony in Bandra can get one for you.
Old 14th December 2010, 15:06   #82
Senior - BHPian

500modder, is your bike back to stock?

Hog_Head, its difficult to get these parts off the shelf in Bombay. Definitely you'll get some of them. I'd suggest you try making them at a fabricator. If not, try to keep it minimalistic.

Last edited by Gordon : 14th December 2010 at 15:07.
Old 14th December 2010, 18:03   #83
BHPian

Hi gordon i am looking for bsa tail light like you used in your bike.Unfortunately its not available in delhi.Can you help in getting it.?
Old 15th December 2010, 06:30   #84
Senior - BHPian

There are two types. One is a smaller one (used on my bike), while the other one is slightly larger. I'll check for both when I do get time. The smaller one is difficult to source.
Old 15th December 2010, 13:05   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
500modder, is your bike back to stock?
Hi Gordon. The bike currently has a custom rear-subframe, custom front and rear mudguards, custom tool box, rear-sets, cafe tank, clubman bars, top yoke, Smith meter, cafe seat, 30mm flatslide carb, oil cooler and free-flow exhaust.

As soon as the riding season is over I'll put an alpha bearing on the big end. Also considering the following - high-compression piston, alloy barrel, stroking the engine. Alloy rims would be great too, but I haven't seen 19 inch ones.
Old 15th December 2010, 15:37   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
There are two types. One is a smaller one (used on my bike), while the other one is slightly larger. I'll check for both when I do get time. The smaller one is difficult to source.
Yeah i m looking for smaller one and it is called as 7A.
Old 21st December 2010, 08:42   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Got them made at Anthony's garage in Bandra, Bombay.

Do you have a contact number, or better yet email address for Anthony's garage?

Gordon - do I recall that you were designing and making rear sets?

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd January 2011 at 09:48. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 31st December 2010, 10:34   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Head View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by howler
Do you have a contact number, or better yet email address for Anthony's garage?
You can call Anthony at 9869167968. He's closed on Sundays.
Old 7th March 2011, 10:07   #89
Senior - BHPian

all my RE friends, there is a good news for all, i came to know that RE india is soon launching its Cafe racer in india market, so no need for any more mods.
Old 7th March 2011, 14:29   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
all my RE friends, there is a good news for all, i came to know that RE india is soon launching its Cafe racer in india market, so no need for any more mods.
@ruchirtnt
There is someone else too in India,Who is doing the same job.

Check the below link.
ICB Exclusive: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer Conversion Kit from Sans Inc! | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog

Most Viewed