Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2009, 11:47   #1

Second hand Fiero?

Dear Members,

A good day to you. This is my first post on Team BHP thought I've been visiting the forums for quite some time for advice. Never posted as I have limited knowledge on automotives to really benefit someone with my inputs. My post is regarding buying a used Suzuki Fiero as a second bike.

The main purpose I'll be using the bike for is daily commute of 50 kms, mainly consisting of highway riding and some bad road riding (about 10 kms everyday). Also, I may use this bike for some long distance riding on weekend depending on my experience with it. What I'm looking from this bike is reliability, good handling, decent crusing speed, the ability to take abuse and decent fuel effeciency.

Just to put things in perspective, this is not my first bike and before this I've previously used an RX100, a Pulsar 150 dtsi and am currently using a Standard Bullet. I intend to keep the Bullet and the Fiero will serve as a secondary mode of transport for daily commute. Also, I'm not particularly a bike loyalist or something like that with a preference for a certain brand or something like that. I like all bikes =)

The main reason why I'm looking at a Fiero is it is cheap, hassle free and its the bike on which I learned to ride. I've a friend who has one for the last 7-8 years and the bike runs well on very little maintainence. I've already asked my friend for his views to which he said that considering the bikes I've used, I wouldnt be so excited on a Fiero. However, I seem to think otherwise and have seen various posts on Team-BHP from Fieroid and others to substantiate that.

So, a humble request to all experts to please give in your inputs.. Do suggest if the Fiero would suit my requirements well and thanks a million for reading through the looong post!

My questions are

1. What is the cruising speed aka. the sweet spot on a Fiero?
2. Can the bike take high rpm runs for longer duration of time?
3. Reliability. How difficult is it getting original spares in Mumbai and mechanics who work on it?
4. How does the bike handle over wet roads? Incase, not so well, is it workable to fix that?
5. How's the comfort for long rides?
6. Which is a better model to buy - the original Fiero, F2 or FX?
7. What should be the price to pay for a second hand bike in decent condition?
8. Things to check while buying a second hand Fiero.
9. Any recommended mechanics in Mumbai to get the bike in nice condition.
10. Any other issues specific of a Fiero.

A dealer nearby my place is selling a 65 kms run Fiero for 13k. It needs some engine work and some other work as suggested by him. Also, wanted to know if a complete overhaul should be possible like a Bullet and the costs involved for the same. He also has a Fiero F2 for about 15k and a TVS Victor for 16k (this one requires no engine work). Do suggest if the Victor would suit my needs.

P.S: Mods thought of putting this one in the Fiero:Passion reignited thread but didn't think it would be appropriate. Please move if required. Thanks!
Old 1st April 2009, 14:29   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loungefly View Post
My questions are

>> 70-80 kmph
Quote:
>> It lacks a fifth cog and tends to be on high rpms; the bike can be punished
Quote:
3. Reliability. How difficult is it getting original spares in Mumbai and mechanics who work on it?
>>Easy
Quote:
4. How does the bike handle over wet roads? Incase, not so well, is it workable to fix that?
>>That would depend on the tire you fit, the rear does tend to slide out at high speends and sudden braking though
Quote:
>> The seat s not the best for long rides
Quote:
>> The original Fiero is better; my humble opinion

The Fiero is a fun bike to ride in the traffic, it s got a peppy engine and the bike can be thrown around corners. it is not too good on the highway though with decreased stability at high speeds.
Old 1st April 2009, 20:28   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Dear Members,

A good day to you. This is my first post on Team BHP thought I've been visiting the forums for quite some time for advice. Never posted as I have limited knowledge on automotives to really benefit someone with my inputs. My post is regarding buying a used Suzuki Fiero as a second bike.

The main purpose I'll be using the bike for is daily commute of 50 kms, mainly consisting of highway riding and some bad road riding (about 10 kms everyday). Also, I may use this bike for some long distance riding on weekend depending on my experience with it. What I'm looking from this bike is reliability, good handling, decent crusing speed, the ability to take abuse and decent fuel effeciency.

Just to put things in perspective, this is not my first bike and before this I've previously used an RX100, a Pulsar 150 dtsi and am currently using a Standard Bullet. I intend to keep the Bullet and the Fiero will serve as a secondary mode of transport for daily commute. Also, I'm not particularly a bike loyalist or something like that with a preference for a certain brand or something like that. I like all bikes =)

The main reason why I'm looking at a Fiero is it is cheap, hassle free and its the bike on which I learned to ride. I've a friend who has one for the last 7-8 years and the bike runs well on very little maintainence. I've already asked my friend for his views to which he said that considering the bikes I've used, I wouldnt be so excited on a Fiero. However, I seem to think otherwise and have seen various posts on Team-BHP from Fieroid and others to substantiate that.

So, a humble request to all experts to please give in your inputs.. Do suggest if the Fiero would suit my requirements well and thanks a million for reading through the looong post!

My questions are

60-70
yes , but the bike has a weak oil pump . the cam shaft bearings tend to fry up .

Just try running around for a sprocket and chain set . A clutch set as well . You will know

Well, I would like to rephrase. " how would you handle the bike on wet roads ?"

That is fine
All have the same mechanicals . just have diff body styling and tubular frame is present on F2 FX
5000 -7000

If you still want to buy , check the engine for head related noises . Try the clutch .

Parts are an issue . Dealerships do not stock the parts these days . Parts are costly . If you intend to pick up a bike for secondary use , try something else like crux , gladiator , suzuki heat . They have a low resale and the performance is good

A dealer nearby my place is selling a 65 kms run Fiero for 13k. It needs some engine work and some other work as suggested by him. Also, wanted to know if a complete overhaul should be possible like a Bullet and the costs involved for the same. He also has a Fiero F2 for about 15k and a TVS Victor for 16k (this one requires no engine work). Do suggest if the Victor would suit my needs.
victors , fiero ,fiero f2 do not have any kind of resale value . For the prices that the dealer has quoted , you can be sure to see those bikes in his showroom for ever .

P.S: Mods thought of putting this one in the Fiero:Passion reignited thread but didn't think it would be appropriate. Please move if required. Thanks!
You might have been passionate of becoming a mechanic in your hey days . May be when you get this fiero ,,it will be reignited .. LOL>
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Fiero is a very good bike. I have heard that the Suzuki ones are the best of the lot. So, try to get one.

60 to 70

It lacks a fifth gear. So it would be on high rpm on highways. I have not faced any issue.

Its difficult to get body parts. No issue with mechanical and electrical stuff.

It depends on how you handle wet roads.

The seats are not comfortable. The suspension is soft and is comfort oriented.

I have the original fiero, 2000 model. It does not have disc brake, but the engine is good and the gear shift is smooth. The bike is peppy and more suited for city than highway.

No idea

Engine, clutch

Old 3rd April 2009, 09:43   #5

@ watfor and patienceWins : Thanks for the information guys. Was helpful. The bike that I've checked has some engine problem so I guess I will stay away from it and check out some other bikes if I can.

@greatmana2000: I'm still in my hey days mate =) Though, not at all passionate about becoming a mechanic!

Most Viewed