Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 11:01   #1

My Yamaha RX100 (Rebuild)

Hi Teammates,

Thanks a lot for all your support. After browsing all yamaha threads from our forum and finally saw my dream bike in Bells Road, Triplicane, Chennai.

Got it for 17.5K & all parts has been changed except Chassis, front tyre, handle bar, silencer & Rims.

I am attaching the pricelist (XLS File) of spare parts purchased for my dream bike.

Good Pics will be posted soon as these are taken by blackberry camera.

Regds, Kalyan.
Attached Thumbnails
My Yamaha RX100 (Rebuild)-img00194.jpg  

My Yamaha RX100 (Rebuild)-img00209.jpg  

My Yamaha RX100 (Rebuild)-img00212.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: xls Yam-Pricelist.xls (30.0 KB, 4530 views)
indianterrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2009, 14:14   #2
BHPian

Congrats Man!!! The Bike looks good.Enjoy Riding her & Do post some better photos of the same.

Cheers!!!
Old 6th April 2009, 14:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Neat Restoration I must say.
Old 3rd July 2013, 19:34   #4
BHPian

Re: My Yamaha RX100 (Rebuild)

Hello guys,

I bought a '93 RX 100 for 14k in Hyderabad and am planning to convert it into a custom dirt bike. I had in my mind for a complete restoration to original but now I am planning to convert the 100 to a dirt bike and another RX135 to a cafe racer.

For my project, I was certain questions. Would be really helpful if you guys could guide me out as this is my first overhauling project.

1. What are the performance modifications I can do on the RX100? (Ex. New cylinder kits, K&Ns, etc.)
2. What is the proper paint procedure for a '93 bike. I have heard a lot of methods but I still haven't figured out the precise procedure between sand-blasting and lacquer.
3. Where can I find cheap but lasting dirt tires? Am tired of searching over the net and trying to comprehend all the tyre data.
4. Where can I get the autolube pump and other spares around Hyderabad?
5. I want to give the bike an Indian look and want to build it in an Indian style with brass levers and pedals. The tank will be orange with brushed aluminium and the chassis matt black. What do you guys think?

Please help me out because this RX has been a dream project for me since I was in 7th and I want it to be my best.

@Mod: Please post in appropriate thread if there's a problem. Did not want to create a new thread for the same topic unnecessarily. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
My Yamaha RX100 (Rebuild)-untitled.jpg  

My Yamaha RX100 (Rebuild)-untitled2.jpg  

My Yamaha RX100 (Rebuild)-untitled3.jpg  

My Yamaha RX100 (Rebuild)-untitled4.jpg  

Old 25th July 2013, 12:21   #5

hello Dhaval,

i request you to keep the bike in as much stock condition as you can.

you are lucky that you got a bike with a clean silencer body, which is gold my friend. original ones are damn hard to find and the new ones available in the market love rust from the word go.
the same goes for the front & rear mudguards. i assume your rear guard is original but have doubts about the front.

the minimal mods; put up a disc brake at the front, a fatter rear tyre, custom paint job and a K&N and am optional 5th Gear.

if you go for port polishing and all, you will damage/burn the exhaust chrome plating.

Regarding the paint, I got my rx(95) painted with a 2k solid red paint for the tank and the side panels, normal silver on the engine head and the MAT on the Gbox and the chain cover. After painting the tank & panels I went straight to put the dual lining stickers and then I got’em lacquer coated. It’s been 6 years since and the paint is still in immaculate condition and will last for 6-7 more.

All this will cost you around 15~20k.

good luck with the bike.
Best regards
arshjeet

P.S. I have to check for the price for adding that 5th gear.
Old 25th July 2013, 14:15   #6
BHPian

Thank you Sirji... But its a little late now. Have already began the work on the bike. Have attached the plans below. Rough sketch but that's the vision for now.

And I am running tight on budget. Have spent 24000 already and lot more parts are still to come including the fuel tank for Yezdi that will cost me 3500 bucks. Also the paint will take 10-15k more. The additional 5th gear maybe a problem for now.

Also I was planning to install a UNI filter because wet foam is the preferred type of filter for Indian conditions. I just think K&N is over hyped. Though I am not particularly sure about it. What do you think about that?

The designs:
Attached Thumbnails

dhaval-mehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 14:50   #7

holy mother of god !!
wish you all the best man.
please save the removed parts (for when you grow old and prefer things stock).

let me know if you need any help.
i am yet to experience the UNI filter. after 2 weeks i'll be able to comment on this. though m planning to put it on the RD and not on the RX coz m okay with the K&N on RX.

happy to see this sketch of yours.
cheers
Old 25th July 2013, 15:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval-mehta View Post
Thank you Sirji... But its a little late now. Have already began the work on the bike. Have attached the plans below. Rough sketch but that's the vision for now.
Hello dhaval-mehta

I must say you have a really clear picture in your mind. Good job.

I have never built a dirt-bike, so I may not be able to give many inputs.

But one input I can give you is, to remove the 2T oil pump and go with direct mix. Since you will mostly be ripping the engine, it is always safer to go with mixing 2T with petrol.

And of course, less weight on the bike once you remove the pump too.

Keep updating this thread.

And yes, I would strongly request preserving the original parts - if not for yourself, for someone else - for the future. Good original parts are really hard to come by.

Best wishes!
Viju
Old 25th July 2013, 21:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshjeet singh View Post
happy to see this sketch of yours.
cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Hello dhaval-mehta

I must say you have a really clear picture in your mind. Good job.
Well I dont deserve the entire credit. It's actually a mix of all the parts of custom vehicles I liked online and handle bar from here, tires from there, etc. and asking mechanics which parts are compatible with the RX... so no great deal. I like the way Chip Foose works, so just followed his sketch to product philosophy. If you look under those terms, its pretty bad.

@Viju, Sir I had the same doubt regarding retaining the oil pump or not. Thanks for you advice. I was initially planning to get a new autolube fitted but then many people advised me that the autolubes never last long and it's ultimately the same as putting in a mix. So now the plan is to get rid of the pump.
Old 26th July 2013, 01:12   #10
BHPian

One more thing. If I fit a UNI filter and a proton exhaust charger, do I need to upjet my carburetor?
Old 26th July 2013, 13:40   #11
BHPian

Hello dhaval-mehta, that is a lovely project that you have taken up. I only dream of such projects since I don't have the time to spare and the such people with expertise to pull off one. Although after years now, I have pulled off a restoration job of a RX-100 '88 model. And boy I was shocked at the amount I had finally spent. I could have easily bought any of the current crop of 150cc bikes for the pains but it ain't all an RX-100. I have planned some minimal mods for the bike once I am back in India next. Your thread does give me a few ideas and I am hooked. I'll look forward to your proceedings and take it from thereon. Keep it coming.

B/Regards
Champion
Old 26th July 2013, 14:26   #12
BHPian

Well to be honest, it has gone over the budget for me as well. But I am planning to sell it (maybe showcase my work at the Delhi auto expo in February) once I am done. It's the first bike for 'RTM Design', my custom motorcycle startup after college. Let's hope it does well.

Updates:
Just bought the Roadking tank for 3.4K;
Cleaned up the Mikuni carb nice and well; In doubts whether to upjet it or not!
Attached Thumbnails

My Yamaha RX100 (Rebuild)-untitled2.jpg  

Old 26th July 2013, 23:58   #13
BHPian

Progress so far:
Fork done, Trailing arm done. Suspension done.
Next step: Fuel tank and tires.
Attached Thumbnails
My Yamaha RX100 (Rebuild)-img20130726wa0003.jpg  

My Yamaha RX100 (Rebuild)-img20130726wa0004.jpg  

Old 29th July 2013, 21:56   #14
BHPian

Need a little help... Should I make it a single seater or a double? A dirt tracker is meant to be a double seater and also functionality requires that but it'll look cooler with the single seater look. Any suggestions anyone?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks