Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 17:49   #46
Senior - BHPian

Do you have a picture of how the two cranks are connected? Are you using bolts?

A good machine shop should be able to do the balancing work for you.

How old is your clutch? Unless your engine(s) are ported, you cannot be making more than 14-15 bhp so Apache clutch should do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venugopal View Post
Looks cool man,me did a similar job on a fiero long ago but a 'V'.Why not do a similar one on the RD and run it in the open class,would be a killer
cheers
What clutch are you running in the Fiero? Must be having similar issues with slippage.
Old 22nd April 2009, 19:39   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
...The shaolin and shogun clutch plates is the same as teh AX100. Your only luck is in using stiffer custom made springs....
The 2 into 1 exhaust is not a good idea as it will affect the scvanging process. Use 2 pipes instead. Chambers will start making the engine peaky ....
Hi Joel, thanks for the info. now^ means clutch springs also are same for AX- shogun/shaolin? Apart from Slip, clutch now jerks when moving off / shut & open throttle (normal gentle opening) with out clutch. What is to be done?

I today fit the second pipe since tuning with single pipe did not seem to equalize cylinders & one cyl was showing some flutter at speeds. Badluck, got some problem with ignition- weak sparks. Would be checking next day at a ex-Tvs service centre. To my relief Compression is holding good.
I'm not for a peaky engine nor want chambers if stock exhaust could be made to breath better. heard that a Shogun Muffler assy (Flute?) would show some improvement & would sound better. Don't know how true it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Do you have a picture of how the two cranks are connected? Are you using bolts?...
How old is your clutch? Unless your engine(s) are ported, you cannot be making more than 14-15 bhp so Apache clutch should do the job.
Picture i dont have ready but i'll try recreating with my old crank set. Had to assemble the engine in a hurry so took no pics. No bolts used. 50K kms old clutch, but good plates (thickness ok) primary gear changed. Shall check out Tvs clutch units hoping to find a match.
Old 24th April 2009, 17:20   #48
BHPian

The apache clutch cant work on the Ax/samurai/shogun coz the bell is bigger and the dimention is nearly 30% bigger. The case cant accomodate.
Old 24th April 2009, 17:27   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The apache clutch cant work on the Ax/samurai/shogun coz the bell is bigger and the dimention is nearly 30% bigger. The case cant accomodate.
But doesnt the Apache and the Fiero share the same crankcase? I thought you said Fiero has the same clutch as AX100.

What about the good ol Shogun then? Surely that would have a strengthened clutch to handle 14 bhp.

Last edited by Mpower : 24th April 2009 at 19:19.
Old 24th April 2009, 18:21   #50
BHPian

Quote:
What about the good ol Shogun then? Surely that would have a strengthened clutch to handle 14 bhp.
search the thread dude. shogun/samurai/ax100/shaolin/fiero all use the same clutch and it is their weak link.
Old 24th April 2009, 20:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
But doesnt the Apache and the Fiero share the same crankcase? I thought you said Fiero has the same clutch as AX100.

Ok, the facts.
The Fiero/ax100/samurai/shogun and shaolin and the defunct centra uses the same clutch. It has a tricky spring loaded, 6-coil springs loading type set-up with 5 plates.
Now the Apache has a completely new clutch mechanism with a robust larger dia bell, housing and a stiff bolting type 4 springs set-up. The crankcase of the Fiero and apache looks the same only visually but casting wise they are different.
The apache has a 13mm wider GB room to accomodate the extra cog as the Fiero was 4-speed and teh apache is 5-speed now.
The clutch cover on the apache is bigger and wider than the Fiero.
So its almost not possible to put an apache clutch. The Ax has a small clutch cover and there is no room at all.

Joel
Old 28th April 2009, 14:52   #52
BHPian

Useful inputs on Clutch, thanks M-power & Fieroid.
If bikes upto fiero are running same clutch, it must be capable of handling atleast 12-14 bhp. So a fresh set of OE plates with new springs loaded tightly should take care of slip. But what about the Jerking ?

Got some problem with timing which eventually turned out to be fault with crank. I was fearing a coupler damage as first time but luckily (?) it is the graft crank which has deformed - more like twist probably due to an undercut during machining. No issues with coupler. I have to get a piece machined & reassemble the engine.

What do you guys think about a 90 degree crank setup, what would be engine response nature. Which is preferred angle & why so? pls put in your comments

bye.,
Old 29th April 2009, 19:44   #53

awesome thread guys, and interesting to note that there is some one who has done this with an rd 350 that must be wild. had an ax 100in the good old days and was a real fun bike though underpowered, well with my limited brains was wondering even if a larger clutch is required (diameter or thickness wise can suitable extensions be made on the case itself though harder springs may really help and renjit how does the bike bike handle because it is a very light bike and riding with one wheel pointed heavanwards may not be an attitude god takes too kindly neither do cops who need silver to grease their palms at every given opportunity.

what about registration with the RTA?
Old 29th April 2009, 20:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
So a fresh set of OE plates with new springs loaded tightly should take care of slip. But what about the Jerking ?
A few reasons why it jerks,
*Clutch bell is worn
*Clutch bell bushes are shot
*Worn pressure plates
Old 1st May 2009, 01:19   #55
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes jerking at low rpm can be attributed to carburation issues.
Old 2nd May 2009, 16:43   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsi View Post
....how does the bike bike handle because it is a very light bike and riding with one wheel pointed heavanwards...what about registration with the RTA?
It runs normal but pretty responsive & quick that it seemingly outruns gear ratios. Never intended for wheelies, it is made to run around more like a power commuter torquing on happily. I'll put a single engine for RTA to test.
Old 18th May 2009, 11:57   #57
BHPian

ignition !

90 degree crank setup is almost ready. Difficulty lies in creating an ignition system delivering a 2nd spark 90 deg off the first.

Ax100 engines don't have pulsar (pickup) coil enabled CDI, else a 2nd pulsar coil+cdi etc would have served. It is tough- no space- to include another coil on to stock ax100 coil plate, & this eliminates the best option.

Would an RX 100/135 ignition system (with pulsar/ pickup coil) work good for Samurai or other Ax100 dervied engines? could the timing be made correct? Have any similar transplants been done on regular bikes?
Along with CDI, coilplate, HT coil all could be replaced as required for CDI to work. If its yes for transplant, I hope to make one from this for my twin.

open for options..
Old 18th May 2009, 14:11   #58
BHPian

The shogun has a pulsar coil set-up. You can transplant that. Make your own slot for an additional pulsar coil and you're done.
Old 19th May 2009, 16:32   #59
BHPian

ignition 2 :-)

Quote:
The shogun has a pulsar coil set-up.....
great! thanks Joel, ex-tvs service centre guy told shogun doesn't have. I should have cross checked earlier & could have saved many days. I am half way through a trial rewind of shorter length coil.

I think changes required are :Coil plate assy & CDI unit. Would there be any problem in CDI response if connected with 2 pulsars? hope no.

Getting a coil plate seems tuff. anyway i start search.
Old 23rd May 2009, 17:35   #60
BHPian

Shogun uses same CDI setup as other Ax engines . No separate pulsar coil.
So i'm trying an extra coil on plate. Another option is Rx coil-Cdi setup with 2 pickup coils. To get Timing at coil plate correct calls for a lot of trial & error.
Rennjit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed