Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 12:43   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Shogun uses same CDI setup as other Ax engines . .
You get India Nippon Kits with external pulsar coil for the Shogun.
Old 26th May 2009, 13:24   #62
BHPian

Joel, thanks for the info!
Is this available at the tvs showroom? Because the one seen in tvs showroom is common one for samurai and shogun without separate pulsar/ pick up coil. Moreover, the parts manual doesnt list any ignition setup with a separate pick up/pulsar coil.
Where else is india nippon kit available?

where can it be sourced in Bangalore? Cost?
Does the kit include flywheel?

Is the pick up coil internal or external to the flywheel magnet?

Last edited by bmw_m5_titus : 26th May 2009 at 13:28.
Old 26th May 2009, 16:04   #63
BHPian

The pick-up is adjustable with a kidney-slot and its mostly external if I remember right.
Ok, now I'm taking about special Nippon rally kits which were used for racing. Also there were some special kits meant for factory bikes. They are not available anymore, but you can check with a few rallyists if they have one. Ravi Nagesh also used to make kits for the Shogun once upon a time with 100/90 coil and an external coil.
Just figure out if you can do something on your own locally.
Old 26th May 2009, 19:02   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
The pick-up is adjustable with a kidney-slot and its mostly external if I remember right.Ok, now I'm taking about special Nippon rally kits....
So this turns out to be too tough considering availability of parts. Atleast if the Cdi was available rest could be made out & to work with internal Pick up coil, not external as regular flywheel would not trigger. That means either a flywheel change or mod to fit small magnet to outer periphery.

Any news on Shoguns running Rx Cdi? I'm going to try next.
Old 26th May 2009, 19:24   #65
BHPian

^I've heard of a few guys doing that too.
Old 28th May 2009, 22:26   #66
BHPian

spec change

well, my Ax200 is back with few specs changed to

Crank setup: 90 degree.
Ignition: coil plate with 2 primary coils + 2 CDIs & rest.
Exhaust: Twin pipes.

From the first ride it feels relaxed than previous 180 crank. Seemingly lacks the punch factor of earlier.Hope rides next days would reveal the actual.

I had been thinking too wild on the Ignition system, wanting to adapt some better Tvs-suzuki setup. however the possibilities ran too complex & i just went with the initial plan of adding a primary coil offset by 90degrees on plate. Minor corrections & it fired up by 2-3 kicks. It is always better keeping it simple & direct. Pickup coils etc would have meant a tougher timing process, well time consuming also. May i'll try later by a month or so as my next crank set gets ready.

& yes the wiring has become much funny. No mech would want to touch it!
Old 8th June 2009, 18:04   #67
BHPian

Tuff times. Getting parts machined & made is taking too much time that i'm losing my mind on further improvements. Like 10 days for a single piece from lathe shop is . It takes 2 more w/shops to finish my crank assy machining in this part of country. It is accurate quality job, but !! Coudn't find a shop doing lathe-milling-surface grinding all with same quality (& affordable?) hence many shops. Waste of time. Feels like attempting nothing more at all.
Old 9th July 2009, 13:27   #68
BHPian

tic..tic..titic...turrrr...

what actually started as building a parallel twin has now become more of an experiment trying out different crank sets and tuning states. Hope it be of some help in future.

While at machining for a 90 degree crank, it some how stuck me hard to try a 360 setup & thus it runs now. I couldn't find much on the net about 2 stokes apart from vibration prone nature. Its seemed who-knows-how it runs actual on a small capacity engine tempting me to try out. Results has been quite interesting. Engine responds mostly as like with 180 but induces some vibrations on to body parts at high rpm's. can feel the tank but not on foot peg or handle bar. It has just clocked some 200kms now on this crank. It actually would turn out a test for crank toughness also to handle stress. Fun part is that i could not kick it over to start & had to add couple of gaskets to slightly lower the compression ratio. Don't say to kick it hard, it just wont budge.

Similar was my trial with 90 crank. It was too good that i would fix 90 as final form in my twin with a new piece expected by month end. Mean while I met a mechanic very close by who works on RD's & some Honda multi cyls. Glad that he is knowledgeable & readily offered help. Took the bike for a tuning check since cylinders were out-of-sync while idling or rolling off throttle. After a couple of question on status of cylinder sizes, carb, reed, exhaust conditions etc, he told me to remove the intake manifold with balancer tubing. To my surprise both cyl's got similar on regular manifolds. I might keep it for the 90. His shop I feel like a finishing school for my kid.

Ok., I need some info > What differences both '+/-' does a small capacity 360 degree twin has in comparison to same CC single? lets consider power delivery & rideability related characteristics only & leave those of constructional-cost-fuel efficiency.

bye.,
Old 15th July 2009, 11:38   #69
BHPian

^ Ok here it is. just my points wrf 360 set> more like a single barring instant throttle response, vibrations turn irritating as well- not much rideable for long. Good for riding around in top gear :-)

Dropped 360 for now & same Crank has been reset to the classic 180 degree. Runs smooth, sound good with twin exhaust pipes. But don't know how long would the crank last. reason ? rocking couple (more like alternating twist forces due to opposite direction of movement of pistons, crank weights in either cyls) at the crank joint strong enough to shear it off. See image wrf different cranks. 'P' is primary & 'S' is secondary inertia forces of crank assy.
Attached Thumbnails
The Double Barrel of Hope : AX-200 twin-rc.jpg  

Old 12th August 2009, 20:36   #70
BHPian

So here it is- Hopefully my closing post. They say pictures better words, so it be. & yes, specs: main feature for me is the 90degree crankset running beautiful. Thnx to buddies Titus & Anand for photos.

The Double Barrel of Hope : AX-200 twin-dsc01585.jpgThe Double Barrel of Hope : AX-200 twin-axroad.jpgThe Double Barrel of Hope : AX-200 twin-axroadd.jpgThe Double Barrel of Hope : AX-200 twin-axroaddd.jpgThe Double Barrel of Hope : AX-200 twin-dsc01578.jpgThe Double Barrel of Hope : AX-200 twin-dsc01556.jpgThe Double Barrel of Hope : AX-200 twin-ax.jpg

bye.,
Old 12th August 2009, 21:07   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
^ Ok here it is. just my points wrf 360 set> more like a single barring instant throttle response, vibrations turn irritating as well- not much rideable for long. Good for riding around in top gear :-) .
Hey Renjit. Great pics man. Good job overall.

Do you know what kind of crank was used by the legendary RD350 ??
Old 13th November 2009, 16:12   #72
BHPian

its a video of first test run, some time in '08. finals coming up.

bye.,

Last edited by Rennjit : 13th November 2009 at 16:13.
Old 13th November 2009, 18:24   #73
BHPian

Thats something interesting. Sounds really close to an RD. Gr8 job there1
Old 14th November 2009, 01:37   #74
BHPian

I guess I dropped in a little late in the thread , the work is awesome Rennjit.

On the topic of the CDI - there was an article in silicon chip (september 1997) on how to make your own programmable CDI - If you can find the article somewhere and can build it yourself or get someone to build it for you , you will not need to find some other CDI to modify and adapt for your bike!

I google'd a bit and came accross this Programmable High Energy Ignition System - Jaycar Electronics this seems to be a kit based on the same silicon chip design - and it doesn't cost the earth either - maybe you could give it a shot .

In case you decide to build it yourself the CDI shouldn't cost you more than a few hundred rupees

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 14th November 2009 at 01:39.
Old 4th December 2009, 14:37   #75
Senior - BHPian

Neat mods, rennjith The bike looks clen and neat. When i come to ekm next time, would love to drop in to see this beauty.

Most Viewed