Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2009, 14:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

I use Castrol R2 for my NSR. Only options for full synth premix I get here are R2 and Motul 710, out of which I decided to give castrol a try. I heard R2 in bangalore costs ~800 per litre in MCC?
Old 20th April 2009, 14:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

Have been using Castrol Super TT in my RX since the past 22 years ! Did use Jetx a couple of times but was not impressed. Also tried Shell 2T and found that quite good too !
Old 20th April 2009, 18:07   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I have used the Servo 2T and the Super TT but I don't consider those amongst the "better" ones.
Well better or not I cannot say but they are among the best selling in the country. I have found that some oils (brands + sub-brand) work best with some bikes - My KB125 came OE with Pennzoil but ran best with Super TT. For some reason, Jettx and the KB125 didn't like each other.
Old 21st April 2009, 04:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I use Castrol R2 for my NSR. Only options for full synth premix I get here are R2 and Motul 710, out of which I decided to give castrol a try. I heard R2 in bangalore costs ~800 per litre in MCC?
I have never heard of the R2. Do you have a picture of the can? Is it imported?
Old 21st April 2009, 17:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Have been using Castrol Super TT in my RX since the past 22 years ! Did use Jetx a couple of times but was not impressed. Also tried Shell 2T and found that quite good too !
22 years is a long time with Super TT. Have you done any engine work in this time? If yes, how long (in km) did you go without any engine work?

And what about decarb? I'm inclined to think Super TT does not burn clean. It also gives out lot of visible smoke.
Old 21st April 2009, 17:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
22 years is a long time with Super TT. Have you done any engine work in this time? If yes, how long (in km) did you go without any engine work?

And what about decarb? I'm inclined to think Super TT does not burn clean. It also gives out lot of visible smoke.
Bike has done around 1.5L kms as of now. Get the engine and silencer decarbed once every 20K, have changed the piston rings of the bike thrice, once at around 50K, next at 90K and latest at 1.25L, apart from that, no other engine work at all, it has not yet been rebored. Yes, visible smoke is a little high especially when you rev hard and ride but emission is always within the norm.
Old 21st April 2009, 18:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

So all you have done is change the piston rings thrice?! But decarb at every 20k? My Shogun has now done about 20k and I was told that there is hardly any carbon in the engine/exhaust. So Castrol Super TT is gunking up your engine as expected and also polluting! You should seriously consider using a better oil.

Btw how exactly do they decarb? I'm a bit fuzzy about this... I'm dead scared of this as I don't want my bike scratched/mishandled in any way when I might require it to be done...
Old 21st April 2009, 21:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I have never heard of the R2. Do you have a picture of the can? Is it imported?

green = old packing, gold = new. it will be imported for sure, but check for authenticity since it can be duplicated in india.

All about Two stroke (2T) oils-21042009220.jpg
Old 21st April 2009, 21:41   #24
BHPian

Is this fully synth?
Old 21st April 2009, 22:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have never seen that in any shop. Its difficult to even find Jettx these days.

My bikes back from the rebuild and porting. I'm running Motul Motomix in it. Will change to the Petronas fully synthetic after 1000 kms.
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

The R2 is full synth. its the best castrol 2T available right now.
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
So all you have done is change the piston rings thrice?! But decarb at every 20k? My Shogun has now done about 20k and I was told that there is hardly any carbon in the engine/exhaust. So Castrol Super TT is gunking up your engine as expected and also polluting! You should seriously consider using a better oil.

Btw how exactly do they decarb? I'm a bit fuzzy about this... I'm dead scared of this as I don't want my bike scratched/mishandled in any way when I might require it to be done...
I get it decarbed around once every 20K whether it is required or not. Polluting ? Definitely not since I get the emission check done every six months (mandatory) and emission is well within the prescribed norms ! I guess if you use synthetic oils, carbon deposits will be less but whenever I have used them, I felt the engine to be very rough although performance was the same. So, I prefered to have a smoother engine. Time taken for a full decarb was around 6 hours at my mechanic and he used to do a very careful job since he knew that I was very particular about my bike not getting any scratches !

Having said that however, since the last 9 years, my bike has not been running all that much, only done around 25K kms during this 9 year period and it has done it without any decarb. Major running was done in the first 13 years of its life when both she and me were a lot younger, enthusiastic and had a lot lesser responsibilities ! It has travelled all over most of South India in that period.
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:22   #28
BHPian

I've been using Shell 2T or Castrol JettX on my RXZ for the last 8 years. Although I barely find JettX anymore. When Shell isn't available either, switch to Super TT.
I find that JettX works best on my bike
Old 22nd April 2009, 21:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
The R2 is full synth. its the best castrol 2T available right now.
Its not even available here. Which NSR do you ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrozenFire View Post
I've been using Shell 2T or Castrol JettX on my RXZ for the last 8 years. Although I barely find JettX anymore. When Shell isn't available either, switch to Super TT.
I find that JettX works best on my bike
How much did you buy the Jettx for last?

Last edited by straight6 : 22nd April 2009 at 21:10.
Old 23rd April 2009, 00:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
I get it decarbed around once every 20K whether it is required or not. Polluting ? Definitely not since I get the emission check done every six months (mandatory) and emission is well within the prescribed norms ! I guess if you use synthetic oils, carbon deposits will be less but whenever I have used them, I felt the engine to be very rough although performance was the same. So, I prefered to have a smoother engine. Time taken for a full decarb was around 6 hours at my mechanic and he used to do a very careful job since he knew that I was very particular about my bike not getting any scratches !

Having said that however, since the last 9 years, my bike has not been running all that much, only done around 25K kms during this 9 year period and it has done it without any decarb. Major running was done in the first 13 years of its life when both she and me were a lot younger, enthusiastic and had a lot lesser responsibilities ! It has travelled all over most of South India in that period.
What I ment to ask is does he open up the cylinder and all and scrape away at the carbon... and burn the carbon in the exhaust pipe with a torch, and stuff?

Rather than looking at the emission certificate, I try to see how less the emission is. Dosen't harm to pollute less than you are 'supposed' to, right? And 'dirty' oils like Castrol Super TT certainly don't help there.

Few years ago, a mechanic told me to use Super TT for a smoother bike. He said it gets smoother because its a thicker oil. A thicker oil may make the bike feel smoother, but it will be less peppy and rev happy. Not to mention, it will very likely stash carbon in the engine and exhaust. Dunno if Super TT does all this because it is thicker... but I sure found it to give out loads of smoke... so I never touched it again. I guess it gives out more smoke than most other mineral 2t oils.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks