Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 15:57   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I don't even rate Mak and Servo in the "better oils" so it doesn't matter. All rickshaw guys are looking for it so I guess its the cheapest oil you can get.

Btw, are you saying its good or bad?
HPCL oils are good and i would recommend it to anyone.
Old 29th April 2009, 15:58   #77
BHPian

why is 2T oil called so?
Old 29th April 2009, 16:06   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
why is 2T oil called so?
Because its meant for 2 stroke engines.
Old 1st May 2009, 03:21   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I'm using the Motul 5100 20W-40 in my gearbox and its quite good.
I apologize. I'm using the Motul 3000 4T in the gearbox.
Old 2nd May 2009, 19:22   #80
BHPian

well i think all us 2 strokers have been discussing which oils are the best etc .

The usual conclusion is motul is the best .
Then comes Shell / Castrol / Agip / Yamalube / Motomix in mineral oils .

Petronas is somethin in between cas its synth .

We also know u shouldnt waste good synth by using it while running in .

Synth oil even for stock bikes is good.

But why question is how do know how to grade which indian oils ?

How do u know max and hp suck ? what do u grade these oils on ? Thickness ? Price ? Viscocity or has somebody actually sat down and run a set of engines on each of these oils and measured ring and clearance / liner wear and tear ? How do we actually know which of the local mineral oils are better than which ? We only judge them by brand , price , smoke and smoothness . Nothing concrete i.e. Engine wear and tear or oil grades . can someone please clear this up .
Old 2nd May 2009, 21:13   #81
BHPian

Have any of you people used Silkolene 2T oil, made by a company called FUCHS. I used to use it for my Shogun & it was good. I don't know if it's still available.

CHEERS,
G D
Old 2nd May 2009, 23:25   #82
Senior - BHPian

^^^Never even saw it anywhere. :(

I'm not able to get Petronas 2T anywhere. :( Anybody has any idea where I can get it or the ph no. of any distributor/dealer in Pune?
Old 3rd May 2009, 06:40   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
well i think all us 2 strokers have been discussing which oils are the best etc .

The usual conclusion is motul is the best .
Then comes Shell / Castrol / Agip / Yamalube / Motomix in mineral oils .

Petronas is somethin in between cas its synth .

We also know u shouldnt waste good synth by using it while running in .

Synth oil even for stock bikes is good.

But why question is how do know how to grade which indian oils ?

How do u know max and hp suck ? what do u grade these oils on ? Thickness ? Price ? Viscocity or has somebody actually sat down and run a set of engines on each of these oils and measured ring and clearance / liner wear and tear ? How do we actually know which of the local mineral oils are better than which ? We only judge them by brand , price , smoke and smoothness . Nothing concrete i.e. Engine wear and tear or oil grades . can someone please clear this up .
Those brands are not horrible as such. They are just not as good as the others discussed.

An average guy who doesn't really care about what 2T oil he is using will use those as long as the bike is working. I would personally want to use the best I can at a given time for my bike. Not everyone rides a bike because he loves bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I'm not able to get Petronas 2T anywhere. :( Anybody has any idea where I can get it or the ph no. of any distributor/dealer in Pune?
Dude, why don't you call that number I gave you?
Old 3rd May 2009, 11:43   #84
BHPian

straight6 i was looking for an answer in numbers and oil grade to know which indian mineral oil is the best . Ive had my fair share of experiments from Yamalube , Shell , Jettx etc and ive had my fair share of problems with each . Yamalube is not ALWAYS available when and where u want it . Same problem with Jettx and Petronas . Shell u will get in a shell bunk . Motul i find too expensive . Have not tried Motomix because the i got the impression its for 2 stroke scooters specifically the Kinetic . With all these good indian mineral the problem is availablity . The ones easily available are Castrol SuperTT and HP , Mak , etc . U need to stock up on the expensive indian mineral ones if u intend to use them regularly . I need to use an oil that i can get anywhere and everywhere , thats easy on the pocket and that does it job well . Lemme hit google and see what i can find with relation to indian 2T oil grades .
Old 3rd May 2009, 12:16   #85
BHPian

ok found this link . check it out :

http://www.7thgear.net/7thGear/Porta...il%20specs.pdf

and here is the full monty .

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/2T_EV_LIST.pdf

This is a real eye opener ! Except for Motul all the other oils fall in the FC bracket of JASO . From Jettx to a Mak 2t or HP 2T !
all the indian mineral oils or even the semi synth are of the same spec . I think any standard indian 2t mineral oil is good enough for a street ride even if its ported with a pipe . I dont see the sense in paying in excess of Rs150 for a supposedly better oil when i can get the same spec oil in a different brand for 100 bucks !

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 3rd May 2009 at 12:26.
Old 3rd May 2009, 12:40   #86
BHPian

ok ive stumbled across some other oil specs while searching for Petronas specs .

Petronas Sprinta 5000 2T fully synth

Product Typicals

Characteristics Value
Density @15 °C, kg/l : 0.889
Pour Point, °C : -21
Flash Point, °C : 110

Kinematic Viscosity, cSt
@ 40 °C : 75.5
@ 100 °C : 11.9
Viscosity Index : 154
ASTM Colour : Green

Specifications

Exceeds the requirements of

JASO FC
ISO EGD
API TC
All major Motorcycle Manufacturers

Petronas Sprinta 4000 2T Semi Synthetic

Product Typicals

Characteristics Value
Density @ 15 °C, kg/l : 0.866
Pour Point, °C : -18
Flash Point, °C : 94

Kinematic Viscosity, cSt
@ 40 °C : 50.4
@ 100 °C : 8.2
Viscosity Index : 137
Colour : Green

Specifications
Exceeds the requirements of :
JASO FC
ISO EGC
API TC
All Major Motorcycle Manufacturers

Both are classified under JASCO norms as FC but a look at the numbers reveals more . Lets see what the rest of us can do with throwing light on the rest of the indian mineral oils available by posting numberical details like this .

cheers !

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 3rd May 2009 at 12:52.
Old 3rd May 2009, 13:27   #87
BHPian

A great link . sit and read carefully .

The Late Great Oil Debate

I cannot find any technical specs like Viscocity Index etc to Castrol Jettx or our other local Indian 2t oils other than the JASO classification .

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 3rd May 2009 at 13:35.
Old 3rd May 2009, 13:32   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
straight6 i was looking for an answer in numbers and oil grade to know which indian mineral oil is the best . Ive had my fair share of experiments from Yamalube , Shell , Jettx etc and ive had my fair share of problems with each . Yamalube is not ALWAYS available when and where u want it . Same problem with Jettx and Petronas . Shell u will get in a shell bunk . Motul i find too expensive . Have not tried Motomix because the i got the impression its for 2 stroke scooters specifically the Kinetic . With all these good indian mineral the problem is availablity . The ones easily available are Castrol SuperTT and HP , Mak , etc . U need to stock up on the expensive indian mineral ones if u intend to use them regularly . I need to use an oil that i can get anywhere and everywhere , thats easy on the pocket and that does it job well . Lemme hit google and see what i can find with relation to indian 2T oil grades .
You see, since 2 strokes are no longer in production, no one really bothers to stock those oils in their shops because its a very slow moving item these days. That's what every person has told me when I've tried to look for the better oils.

I go on feel and smoke levels, not numbers. Just because the Motomix has the Kinetic logo and is marketed here that way, don't neglect it. Just try it once.

Yamalube is easily available in the Yamaha showrooms and that's how it works all over the world because its their brand. You will never get it in any shop unless, that guy has bought it in bulk from the showroom.

I've heard good things about Mak from the Indian ones that are easily available. That's probably the brand you should be looking for. I usually prefer to stock the oil at home so that I don't have to run around at the last moment when I'm running out of it. I just can't afford that now since my bikes ported.

Last edited by straight6 : 3rd May 2009 at 13:34.
Old 3rd May 2009, 14:29   #89
BHPian

ur wrong on 2 strokes being less . Petrol bunks here in bangalore have an equal mix of 4 stroke and 2 stroke vehicles . Vehicles like Scooters , Samurais , Autorickshaws and ur usual RX . And 90% of bunks in the city stock the Mak HP brand of 2T . The more expensive variety is stocked by the Spare Part Shops and even they dont have stock of the required variety all the time . Yes the buying in bulk is a good idea tho not many can afford to but i will try and implement it . However if you take a look at the links ive provided the only actually good oils are Motul 800 ( Premix only ) and Peronas Sprinta 5000 so it makes sense only buying either of them , somebody needs to try Petronas Syth on a drag bike and post results , need to know how this synth will hold up against Motul 800. This is what i have understood from the links i have posted . HP Racer or Mak is equal to Yamalube Motomix and Jettx . So not too much harm buying the cheaper oils in half litres - 88 bucks . Jettx is a almost a 100 rupees more and isnt not available in all shops ! Castrol in my opinion in too highly priced .

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 3rd May 2009 at 14:32.
Old 3rd May 2009, 15:43   #90
Senior - BHPian

northern region is too bad !!

am unable to get synthetic 2t of any brand even motul 800 is on order and that also 5 pack minimum!! damn!!

There is also one synthetic oil called castrol 747 , Has anyone tried?

Get me 1 lt pack of Petronas 5000 Guys ! :(

Last edited by chiragh_bir : 3rd May 2009 at 15:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks