Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2009, 15:39   #1

Second Innings Of My Yamaha Rx-100

Hello all TEAM BHPians.
I am a proud owner of Yamaha RX-100 since 1987.I purchased it when I started job after doing my engineering.Half of the money was put in by me and half by my Dad.Since then the bike is giving me company.
Never ever has it let me down on any occassion.
Its red colour had got faded and the engine thrust had become less over the years.But it was still running fine.
I was planning to spruce up this bike for the last few years but did not know how to go about it.
Few months ago my daughter asked me if I could get her a scooty /yo-bike.I just said -let me see......
Finally I told her that "Why ride a scooty when you can ride a RX-100"
I went through all the posts related to RX-100 on Team BHP and really it gave me all the courage to just do it.Spare time was at a premium but I made it a point to forget everything and devote few days for my 22 years old friend.Money was not a problem.
I caught hold of a local mechanic and asked him to strip full bike .
I visited few far off places to get the new parts I needed.
I caught hold of a person who could do a good paint job.
The whole bike was dismantled,painted,fixed back in ten days.
My RX-100 has completed her first innings pretty well and ready for her second innings with me.
Though my daughter has learned to ride the bike in the last five days but still a thought comes in my mind ocassionally.
"Did I spruce up my bike so that my daughter could ride it or I was using it as an excuse to ride it myself"
Whatever may be the reason the bike is ready for second innings.
I am posting some pics which will tell the story better.
Attached Thumbnails
Second Innings Of My Yamaha Rx-100-dsc00622.jpg  

Second Innings Of My Yamaha Rx-100-dsc00623.jpg  

Second Innings Of My Yamaha Rx-100-dsc00625.jpg  

Second Innings Of My Yamaha Rx-100-dsc00626.jpg  

Second Innings Of My Yamaha Rx-100-dsc00627.jpg  

Second Innings Of My Yamaha Rx-100-dsc00629.jpg  

Second Innings Of My Yamaha Rx-100-dsc00631.jpg  

Second Innings Of My Yamaha Rx-100-dsc00649.jpg  

Second Innings Of My Yamaha Rx-100-dsc00650.jpg  

Second Innings Of My Yamaha Rx-100-dsc00654.jpg  

Second Innings Of My Yamaha Rx-100-dsc00657.jpg  

Old 18th April 2009, 15:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

I love the way the bike looks now. I always prefer the stock look on the RX. I'm in the process of rebuilding the 135. I'm going with the engine first and then I'll do the cosmetics. Though I have already installed new Hero Honda rims and OEM front forks. Tyres to follow next month.

Did you install a new oil pump too? If yes, how much did you pay for it? I just bought one for Rs.600. I also bought a new 2T oil tank for Rs.190.

How much did you pay for that paint job? Are those the OEM rear shocks?

Last edited by straight6 : 18th April 2009 at 15:59.
Old 18th April 2009, 16:12   #3

Hi straight6
No ,i have not installed a new oil pump.The original pump is working fine still.
Old 18th April 2009, 16:19   #4

Hi straight6,
The old oil pump is still working fine.Checked by revving and seeing the oil comming out from discharge.
Paint job for Rs. 1800/- plus my personal time of sitting with the painter for 3 days.
The rear shockers are OEM. just some paint job and polish.
Old 18th April 2009, 18:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey man it is very nice the way you restored the bike. though i have one question why did you use so many non OEM parts. dop you not think that the bike would not live as long it would with the OEM parts.

though one thing for sure is that the bike looks great.

Thanks
Desi

----------
PS. get rid of that black thing on the grab rail or just actually get rid of the grab rail it self.
Old 18th April 2009, 19:31   #6

Hi straight6 & Desi,
My bikes oil pump is still doing well.Checked by mechanic by revving the bike that oil is oozing from oil pump discharge.The paint job costed me Rs 1,800/- and my personal time of three days.The real shocks are OEM( just bit of paint and polish).
Yes Desi agree that I have used some non OEM parts.This is due to non availability of these in the vicinity towns where i live.But I made it a point to get the original cylinder kit,crank and the main bearings of gearbox.All other main frame parts,electricals ,exhaust are of my original bike itself.Rest of the cosmetic things like indicators,cables I had to buy non OEM make as I could not wait longer.But I have that in mind and will replace them when I get hold of them in red & white packing.Also i was told that the items in red and white pack is not a sure case of originality.
None of the authorised dealers keep them now.But thanks for reminding me of OEM parts and will replace them as soon as i get hold of them.
Old 18th April 2009, 20:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Just 1800 for that paint job??! Are you sure that's not a typo?

My mechanic suggested changing the oil pump so that I wont have to worry for the next 10 years. My original pump is still working fine so I'll keep it as a backup one. Didnt want to take a chance now that the bike is being ported.
Old 18th April 2009, 22:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice parts display. How much did it cost you totally.

The 80s RXs are fondly called 'Jpaan bore' RX by Bangalore local mechs.
Old 20th April 2009, 12:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMatix View Post
Hi straight6,
The old oil pump is still working fine.Checked by revving and seeing the oil comming out from discharge.
Paint job for Rs. 1800/- plus my personal time of sitting with the painter for 3 days.
The rear shockers are OEM. just some paint job and polish.
I spent 3500 rupees for the paint job (including black powder coating for the engine block).

The bike looks stunning even after so many years. I have never heard about this bike though

Thiyags

Last edited by thiyags22 : 20th April 2009 at 12:28.
Old 20th April 2009, 15:35   #10

Hi straight6,Mpower & Thiyags22,
The paint job was for Rs. 1,800/-.Did i pay more or less?I am staying in a remote village.
The total cost incurred was Approx. Rs. 13,500/- ( Rs. 1800/-for mechanic,Rs. 1,800/- for paint job,Rs. 4,000/- for the cylinder kit,Rs. 1,800/- for the tyres ,Rs. 400 for Exide 6V battery +NBC bearings,crank,clutch plates,pressure plates,cables etcetera)
The bike was purchased in 1987 from Pacer Corporation ,Bangalore .

I have kept the 6V electricals for the bike though I had to search a lot for 6V battery.But I am having a problem finding 6V headlamps of good make( Still using the old one).I had to install 12 V flasher unit from the market.The head light does not give good light as we know is the problem with RX-100s.Can any one give me genuine technical input in keeping the original headlight dome and newly purchased 6V battery and improving the headlight.Thanks to all the "gyanis" in advance.
Old 6th August 2011, 14:55   #11
BHPian

Re: Second Innings Of My Yamaha Rx-100

So how is this bike running sir, whats the ownership review after the rebuild after 2 years.

Is it worth the effort?

The above pics definately look too beautiful though except for the seat.
Old 18th October 2011, 16:46   #12

The bike is still going strong dear friend. It was really worth restoring my rx 100.
Old 27th November 2011, 18:58   #13
BHPian

These are pics of my stock Rx 100 1989 model; has been my baby for the last 22 years and all you see here is original stuff, the paint, the tyres, the saree guard, even the rear carrier! Doesn't she look great?
Attached Thumbnails
Second Innings Of My Yamaha Rx-100-img0082a.jpg  

Second Innings Of My Yamaha Rx-100-img0081x.jpg  

Old 17th August 2013, 17:12   #14
BHPian

Guys any leads on where i can restore my Rx100? I am just waiting for the day wen she can roll again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks