Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:30   #16
BANNED

Guys, I was talking only about about 4 strokes here. I knew about the 2 strokies and the about the usage of clutch.

predatorwheelz : Thanx !
Old 22nd April 2009, 23:26   #17
BHPian

predator and others, thanks for an enlighting explanation on the clutch. Can you also please explain, what's happening when I use clutch to gain more pulling power with out having to lower the gear. People always tell me that, we should not do this (that's riding on clutch) lest, the clutch plates wear out quickly. Please explain, what's happening here. Why do they wear out quickly?

TIA,
KK
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishoryk View Post
what's happening when I use clutch to gain more pulling power with out having to lower the gear.
For sure you rev the engine by half-clutch. As you are aware clutch is the mechanism which dis-engages the engine from the wheels. So when you don't engage the clutch fully, the disengagement is partial and hence load is taken off the engine partially and hence it revs more. So you get that extra power for an instant (because engines revs at a higher speed) when you half press the clutch. Try to hold it that way up the hill and for sure you will lose on the extra power you are enjoying after some time and you need to change the gears subsequently.
Old 23rd April 2009, 18:33   #19
BANNED

Also, in the bikes there is no need for half clutching except in 1st gear. Even in 1st gear (except during the take-off time) you can avoid it fully.

And, I would rate half clutching as a bad/novice riding habit !
Old 28th April 2009, 23:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
And, I would rate half clutching as a bad/novice riding habit !
That's correct. However, sometimes, especially during sudden stop/starts in City traffic, we may still be in Higher Gear but significantly lowered the speed, in such cases, just to get going before getting a chance to put back the legs on the pedal and lower the gears, we may have to use the "half-clutch".. I know, in general, this is not a good practice.

Also, there is one URL which has detailed info on getting to know about these clutches. Animations in this section are pretty helpful.

Cheers,
-K
Old 29th April 2009, 16:03   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Also, there is one URL which has detailed info on getting to know about these clutches. Animations in this section are pretty helpful.
Where is the URL ? Can you post it ?
Old 30th April 2009, 20:29   #22
BHPian

How Stuff Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Where is the URL ? Can you post it ?
Oops.. Apologies. Here is the URL:
HowStuffWorks "Types of Clutches"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks