Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Comet GT250 -- 2 Brothers & hopefully more

I was posting on speedomania's thread so far but after getting the new exhaust setup on my bike and taking a short trip around, i felt that it deserved a new thread. So here is a video of it standing in my parking.

Its not a really good one but none the less. Putting on the exhaust itself was a herculean task since the nuts were jammed and had to be broken. The catalytic converter turned out to be a short, stubby and funny piece of metal that looked like an airfilter element off my bullet. It needed a hacksaw to get rid of. Then a bit a grinding to smoothen the edges before the exhaust slipped on.
Verdict? Money well spent! The response to the throttle is amazing. The stock bike seemed like a slow coach. With the free flow on, it has a lot of low end grunt and seems to pull away even in 3rd gear. No clue if the top end has improved.
There seems to be some sputtering when i ease on the throttle and looks like the air-fuel mixture needs some tinkering. Money is tight but hopefully upjetting shouldn't cost a bomb if required.
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:54   #2
BHPian

hi . i just wanted to know how expensive or feasable is it to own a comet . are parts and service easy to obtain for this vehicle ?
Old 4th May 2009, 07:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Really neat job Mate. It acutally looks like OE fitment. The tape holding the end can with the chassis looks particularly nice. The bolts where the can meets the pipe look exqusite. The black pipe and chrome end can, awesome contrast.

You have managed to take the COMET a few notches higher now. Great job. Wish you all the best with the jetting.
Old 4th May 2009, 09:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

How much did the 2Bros cost? Do they claim any increase in power with their can? Neat looking pipe, liked it.
Old 4th May 2009, 11:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

2stroke-- It is definitely not as easy was walking into a showroom or the towns market place to go get spares. Consumables are easy to get but if you are talking of things like clutch plates etc, you need to depend on the web and get them ordered. Servicing is pretty much like any other bike. Oil change and stuff primarily and if you are from mumbai, should be no big deal.

arun -- Thanks mate. The finish of the pipe is definitely smart and it cuts down about 5kg straight away!

sankar -- It cost me $499 which is roughly 20k. This is a titanium exhaust. There is an aluminium one available for $100 less. I dont know if the throttle response indicates an increase in the power. Can't say unless its taken on a dyno. They don't claim increase in power.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 4th May 2009 at 11:40. Reason: Added pictures.
Old 4th May 2009, 13:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Did you buy the exhaust from Dream Sporting Gear?
Old 5th May 2009, 14:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nope..i got it on my recent trip to US. Didn't know DSG had them. Do they?
Old 5th May 2009, 15:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Nope..i got it on my recent trip to US. Didn't know DSG had them. Do they?
They are now the official dealers for TBR in India.
Old 7th May 2009, 18:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
They are now the official dealers for TBR in India.
Just checked their website. Cool one. They seem to have a few TBR exhausts up there but i doubt if they will have any for the comet. It was hard to find the one i got in US since its not a big volume brand of motorcycles. Most places i called said they don't have it in stock and they can not estimate when the next lot will come. I was looking for the aluminium one but it wasn't available and i didn't want Bruce Fab, Screaming Demon or IXIL so had to shell out.
Old 8th May 2009, 16:34   #10

Very nice Nilesh. Looks really neat.

I've been hunting for after market stuff for my comet too.
I had ordered Pazzo racing levers from US.
It was supposed to fit both GT250 and GT250R, but unfortunately it didn't fit my comet. The levers li'l broader for the brake fitment.
Looks like somethings were changed when Comet made it to India.
Now I am hunting for the brake mountings that'll fit my lever set

Already installed Bar end mirrors, K&N, irridium spark plugs.

Anyways not trying to hack your thread
Old 14th May 2009, 03:06   #11
BHPian

Hey congrats Nilesh! glad to see you finally got it on! sounds nice looks amazing! upjetting won't set you back by much and id suggest one really helped me! best of luck happy and safe riding!

P.s. wear proper gear man i had a little fall but lost the tip of my left hand ring finger as it came between the handle and the road, crushd the bone to fragments. just the one time i decided to ride withot my gloves :( anyways my point being the bikes heavy and demands proper gear as ive learnt !
Old 14th May 2009, 16:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

@sumit -- Cool...so you still are holding on to your bike. I'm sure there are umpteen opportunities to ride in & around bangalore as compared to pune. Where did you land after quitting EDS?

@Speedy -- :-) The first thing I spent on after getting my bike is the gear! I've always been riding with full gear. And having suffered a broken elbow thats held together with 2 screws on one of my rides in melbourne. The gear ensured i escaped with broken bones and nothing more so i'm completely in tune with you. Where did you get the jets from? My bike makes a clear kickback of sorts when the revs drop. A sound as if a cracker is going off. This means i'm running lean? I plan to get it to the mech this weekend. Any tips to understand this problem are welcome!
Old 18th May 2009, 11:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed0mania View Post
P.s. wear proper gear man i had a little fall but lost the tip of my left hand ring finger as it came between the handle and the road, crushd the bone to fragments. just the one time i decided to ride withot my gloves :( anyways my point being the bikes heavy and demands proper gear as ive learnt !
Man!! Thats terrible. But just curious, the kind of fall that you had, do you think the gloves would have saved you? Because only the knuckle part has the hard protective covering not the finger part.

Quote:
@sumit -- Cool...so you still are holding on to your bike. I'm sure there are umpteen opportunities to ride in & around bangalore as compared to pune. Where did you land after quitting EDS?
Yes the bike has been with me for 2 and half years now, close to 35,000 kms and no plans for letting go of it too
Pal, I never worked for EDS. I think you've mistaken me with some other Sumit
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

@sumit -- Sorry! You aren't the blaze riding dude from my office in pune who had bought a comet. :-) Do you know where i can get some jets in bangalore?
Old 25th May 2009, 12:37   #15

Quote:
@sumit -- Sorry! You aren't the blaze riding dude from my office in pune who had bought a comet. :-) Do you know where i can get some jets in bangalore?
That's ok pal

I can ask my service guy if he has jets for the Comet. I'll get the information and post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks