Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2009, 12:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

@schitre -- A million people and a million suggestions. go take a test ride of all. and before that, make sure you are willing to shell the dough. what we say doesnt matter. I've told people to go buy some model cause i felt it was more reliable than the std and then fallen flat on my face cause he ends up getting a piece that isnt half as reliable as we expected. you never know if you are going to get an egg. so just ride a friends bullet (not sure he will part with it ) or go take a test ride. our suggestions dont really matter. By the end of it, the members would have voted for every single model available in the RE stable today and you will not be any wiser.

I suggest you single down on 1 with ur experience and then ask the members if they think its reliable or suitable for your kind of riding.

But i agree with the suggestion that take your time. Whether a new bullet or old, dont rush into it. Esp if old cause the bike may look great in flesh but may have a zillion troubles brewing. And once you buy a bullet, you will not want to let go of it so better buy the right one in the first place. A nasty bull is like a beautiful nagging wife is hard to let go and harder to live with!

Happy hunting.
Old 5th May 2009, 14:33   #17
BHPian

What is the price of Thunerbird?
Old 5th May 2009, 14:48   #18
BHPian

Sorry to say this but the AVL ie Aluminium engined Enfields are not the real ones, If you want a real Bullet the Cast Ironed ones are the way to go.
Old 5th May 2009, 17:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Going by your requirements, looks like you want FE, reliability good seating. Also you are comfortable with CBZ (Brake on 'right' side).

I would suggest a used Thunderbird or the new (expensive) TwinSpark TB.

If I heard you say, thump, old school etc, I would have suggested the ol' RE. However I suggest you pick up a Thunderbird or a Electra 5s, which has the brake on the right side and is slightly more reliable and Fuel Efficient.

Now lets see how many are going to slam me for calling the TB/5S more reliable.
Old 5th May 2009, 18:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

for bullet ,get a bullet standard or Electra 4S(4speed) with the right gearshift. If you want a cruiser apart from bullet ,it is karizma.another option *still* exists is bajaj's Avenger
Old 5th May 2009, 18:46   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Now lets see how many are going to slam me for calling the TB/5S more reliable.
You have been saved from the gallows. You compared TB/5S to be more reliable then our friend's madhokritesh's "real" Bullet. No arguments there. ROTFL.
Old 5th May 2009, 22:01   #22
BHPian

If you want the last killer looks a RE can provide, it's the 350 std Bullet. If you are going for any other model, you'll still remember these suggestions whenever you see a 350. Electras were figured out for those who are unable to challenges in driving a 350. And TBH, 350 is still the best selling RE (kinda obvious here).

Bullet = cast iron engine, dugh dugh, 350cc, fine fuel efficiency, servicing anywhere, gears on the proper side (i mean the original) if we count that enfields were the first to establish a good base in bike sales in india, all of which had gears on the right side. This is a challenge, and that's what you buy a Bullet for. Attitude.

Electra, TB = AVL engined, thump thump, 500cc, spares troubles?, gears on the wrong side, left side gears? it's like a provision for the weak :b

Maybe, I really want to catch every moment to joke on any RE which isn't a std, but that would be too mean, it's still a RE. :b
Old 6th May 2009, 07:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpartap Singh View Post
If you want the last killer looks a RE can provide, it's the 350 std Bullet. If you are going for any other model, you'll still remember these suggestions whenever you see a 350. Electras were figured out for those who are unable to challenges in driving a 350. And TBH, 350 is still the best selling RE (kinda obvious here).

Bullet = cast iron engine, dugh dugh, 350cc, fine fuel efficiency, servicing anywhere, gears on the proper side (i mean the original) if we count that enfields were the first to establish a good base in bike sales in india, all of which had gears on the right side. This is a challenge, and that's what you buy a Bullet for. Attitude.

Electra, TB = AVL engined, thump thump, 500cc, spares troubles?, gears on the wrong side, left side gears? it's like a provision for the weak :b

Maybe, I really want to catch every moment to joke on any RE which isn't a std, but that would be too mean, it's still a RE. :b
I'm quite certain TB and Electra are not 500cc. Get your facts right.

It's answers like this one and others about "real" bullets and "real" men riding them that are exactly what the thread starter does not need. It's offensive that you can call people who ride bikes with gears on the "wrong side" weak, since you're pretty saying 99.9% of bike riders everywhere are weak and you guys are the only remaining men in the world. Good job. Keep the rest of us safe from the boogeyman. Sorry for going off-topic but this is my last post in this thread.

@ schitre05 - read a thread I started some time back called New Bullet Fan Needs Help. You'll find more useful discussions there than here.
Old 6th May 2009, 10:45   #24
BHPian

See I Will suggest you couple of things

1. If you initially can spend some time say a week or so then going for Old Bullet is not a bad option as suggested by one of the BHPians above, find a good old bike & get it overhauled & serviced & it will be as good as new. It will be cheaper will have better engine with the old time thump in it as well as the pride of owning a RE

2. If you really cannot spare anytime then go for RE 350 std or Electra. The only difference is looks so if want a little jazziness Electra will suit your need, will give you a average of 40 kms appx & will consume the miles in dozens. I have had Bullets (a STD 350 & a Lightning 535s) since I was in 11th (1998) & i have never had an incidence where I had to stand in middle of the road because my bike is not working. RE is like a GF if you take proper care it will ensure you are taken proper care of. The moment you show roughness or power it hits you back & hits you really hard. So learn to show love & respect you would love it in long run ...
Old 6th May 2009, 13:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

this buying a scrapped old bullet and build it from tail to head is a tedious job .Currently ,I see a guy is building the same way.he had his `83 enfield to be rebuild and got 2 cases of spare parts from coimbatore costing a claimed 40K.I don't know how it feel to be. well ,satisfaction cannot be guaranteed.
Old 6th May 2009, 14:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post

It's answers like this one and others about "real" bullets and "real" men riding them that are exactly what the thread starter does not need. It's offensive that you can call people who ride bikes with gears on the "wrong side" weak, since you're pretty saying 99.9% of bike riders everywhere are weak and you guys are the only remaining men in the world. Good job. Keep the rest of us safe from the boogeyman. Sorry for going off-topic but this is my last post in this thread.

@ schitre05 - read a thread I started some time back called New Bullet Fan Needs Help. You'll find more useful discussions there than here.
It was my bullet fanboism of high proportions. Doesn't earn me anything. And you shouldn't have taken any offense. (:

I'll quit.
Old 6th May 2009, 16:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpartap Singh View Post

I like the way you say Gear on Proper side.

Exactly I dont understand why Std fans get bugged with a TB/5S so much. End of day its a RE, with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post

They are not 500cc - only 34x cc just like the Std Bullet.
Old 6th May 2009, 16:59   #28
BHPian

Mmm, man are you not confused about this real bullet and not-so real bullet? Are you not confused about gear lever on the right side and gear lever on the wrong side? Are you not worried about high maintainance and peace of mind? Are you not confused about 350 std, 350 electra, 350 machinsmo, twin spark?

Don't you worry Yes! Don't you ever worry, I can promise you that a bullet is the one you need.
You can travel even 100 kms / day and still not feel tired by the luxury of the ride.

Get to know the difference between STD and other models and you will know the one to chose.
There are some conveniences in newer models which reduce the number of times you need to dirt your hands. For example, you will find the new models work both on ac and dc which is good for day to day operation. You will find CDI in the newer model which reduces day to day maintanance. You will find alluminium engine in the machinsmo range which gives you better milage but a little different engine noise compared to the cast-iron engine. So on and so forth. If you have time on your side, get to know all these things and for sure you can chose the one you want.
On the maintainance issue yes you may have to learn few things on your own which will help you not being stranded on the road. For example, I learnt how to change the clutch wire by myself and it helped me a lot. At any point, I was not grounded more than 10 minutes. But I could have avoided such an incident, if I listened to the bull and oilied the clutch wire more frequently and changed it at the correct time So you see the importance of maintainance!!

It takes simple adjustments in the way you keep your foot and the right side and left side is taken care!! As simple as that.

As I understood over the years, if you love your baby, for sure you will learn simple techniques and you will enjoy her ride for sure!! Is that not the reason why you are going for the bull in the first place?
Old 6th May 2009, 17:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
this buying a scrapped old bullet and build it from tail to head is a tedious job .Currently ,I see a guy is building the same way.he had his `83 enfield to be rebuild and got 2 cases of spare parts from coimbatore costing a claimed 40K.I don't know how it feel to be. well ,satisfaction cannot be guaranteed.
Most probably, cheating by the mechanic. At least in Kerala, they have the feeling that only rich people use a Bullet and can easily be cheated. And I had used it over a period of two decades at various places from Trivandrum to Mananthavady (including Muvattupuzha). (due to official transfers) Also which Bullet part is not available at Muvattupuzha or anywhere else?

Last edited by janitha : 6th May 2009 at 17:37.
Old 6th May 2009, 18:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Most probably, cheating by the mechanic. At least in Kerala, they have the feeling that only rich people use a Bullet and can easily be cheated. And I had used it over a period of two decades at various places from Trivandrum to Mananthavady (including Muvattupuzha). (due to official transfers) Also which Bullet part is not available at Muvattupuzha or anywhere else?
Since you may have experience much more than me,I wish to only show the current trends with people.

Yes.RE Spares are available here in Muvattupuzha at multiple shops.

here in our place and all ,for such overhaul/restoration works ,it is common practice of buying parts from coimbatore as it is cheaper when bought in bulk-also some parts which may be difficult to source from ernakulam stockist.

The Old Bullets are mostly in very pitiable condition bought for cheap.
bullet parts?Most Overhaul includes from Engine set-up to New Mudguards(old style),side grills(for rear) to Alloy Wheels,repainting,new Tank to extra funky stuff like painting , chrome plating,bigger fuel tank(cut and weld).
it is endless.Most works are done to have the bull looks like much much better looking than brand new(I will share pics when I take some of them).heck ,I know of a guy who repainted the bull after 2 months.

I don't suspect cheating.If enthusiasts are ready to spend this much money ,what can be said?(Some of the "enthusiasts are middle aged men at 50's!)Moreover the mechanic in question specializes in overhaul and restoration.I saw two bullets which were re-built from scratch( one is1962) and another One which is 83's model.(check my PM regarding the orkut pic of one such bull)

PS:Have you heard about "chamber jose" at kochi ?I heard around a lakh rupees are even required to make ugly choppers(no offense!) out of Bullets.

Most Viewed