Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2009, 02:15   #76
BHPian

Folks sorry to pitch in this THUMP discussion,my two cents..AVL was launched with a 4 speed right side shift gear box.
Now you guys can continue.
Old 16th May 2009, 09:21   #77
BHPian

Thanks Nickoo !! Well Gordan, since you are so sure that I don't have my facts right, I shall leave you alone with your thread. Thanks and one last suggestion keep an open mind !! I owned a all aluminum 4 speed machismo with disc brakes and my friend owned a CI electra soon after. I think I can spot the difference. How old are you Gordan,...just curious !
Old 16th May 2009, 10:18   #78
Senior - BHPian

Torque-ative,

I asked you to check your facts again of your bike. If you have a pic it'd be good. I wasn't sure that AVL was launched with 4s gearbox which is why I said:

Quote:
for your sake and others on the forum, check what you had properly
Quote:
do you have a pic of your bike? What you're talking about is probably a cast iron 4 speed gearbox
Quote:
if you have really had an AVL 4s then your statement can be considered.
I asked you those questions because I didnt know if it was available. But with no means did I say this with FULL confidence. If you notice, you'll see a lot of "if"s in that post. Since I wasn't sure, I asked you to be sure AND/OR post a pic of your bike.

Also, the other comments I posted was all in regard to IF you had a cast iron engine, then the problems you mentioned weren't of AVL. Which was really funny.

Also what does age have to do with making sense? Most on this forum who own Enfields are elder to me, but yet have very wrong concepts about Bullets.

Yes n regard to the 4s AVL Machismo, I had doubts so I asked you to clear them. Simple. Very amusing
to see you jumping all over the place joyfully with an attitude:

Quote:
Originally Posted by your attitude?
hahaha I've got you wrong. You dont know anything, so I'll leave you here.
Because none of you have even spoken an ounce of sense in regard to thump, regard to weird concepts that you'll live by and proclaim regarding Enfields.

Quote:
I think I can spot the difference.
I do have an open mind which is why I was open to know from you about your bike through pics.

And since you haven't posted any, I have been checking for pics on the net. And yes, I did come up with the older Machismo AVL with 4speed gearbox that failed mierably in sales.

Its good to know this. But it still doesn't end the discussion about what we're on about.

Last edited by Gordon : 16th May 2009 at 10:19.
Old 16th May 2009, 11:10   #79
BHPian

1. Ask around and you will know that the A350, with the short exhaust pipe and 4 speed gearbox on the same side as the STD was the first AVL power bullet (Mid to late 90s).
  2. During and before this period the machismo was still the cast iron engine with the full chrome mudguards. Around this time is when the extra long exhaust pipes made their first appearance on the bullet (mid to late 90s).
  3. Later the A350 was christened the Machismo, and this verson got the slim chrome mudguards (as we see on the electra today), the long exhaust pipes, and disc brakes for the first time on any bullet was an optional fitment. This Machismo (with the avl engine) was still 4 speed.
  4. The next major change which has stayed on till date is the version of the machismo which we know today. All chrome tank, and full mudguards, long exhaust pipe, 5 speed gearbox on the other side and optional disc brake kit.
  5. The version which was the machismo till the above said change (the version I had), got a engine change (from avl to CI), CV carburator, 5 speed gearbox, optional disc kit, shorter glass wool exhaust (this was a later incorporation as was the gass charged rear shocks), and was christened the "Electra".
Do I have my facts right young Mr.Gordon, or am I still gleefully jumping all around with my aging back.

Yours truly was also a member of the Royal Beasts albeit for a short period, and did share a special relationship with the bikers, and do appriciate the traditional qualities of this bike.

So "IF" I still have my facts wrong,..and "IF" you still think I am cooking up a juvenile fantasy of owning a Avl 4 speed Machismo I hope I have aswered a few of you doubts.

Last edited by Torque-ative : 16th May 2009 at 11:15. Reason: Typo
Old 16th May 2009, 11:24   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
if I have my facts wrong
No you're not wrong. Everything you mentioned above is right. Its good to know things in real detail when they are true.

What you have just mentioned is so good to read. Since they are factual. Problem arises when we get to hear weird concepts which have no real meaning.

Tell me honestly Torque-ative since you have owned a Royal Enfield and were a member of a Enfield Club, do you actually agree with these concepts:

- Bullet is meant only for cruising
- only meant for chopper/cruiser
- all bullets leak oil, so its "okay" and can be ignored. Marks its territory
- no thump, no bullet
- something called "true thump"
- standard 350 is the true bullet
- nothing compared to heavy crank
- my bullet can do 20kmph in 4th gear, urs cant. So its not a true bullet
- right gears defines bullet, left gears for sissy
- AVL is not as reliable as CI
- and dozen other concepts
Old 16th May 2009, 11:54   #81
BHPian

Gordon,
I'll try answering your questions,.however these would be my personal opinions

Do you actually agree with these concepts:

- Bullet is meant only for cruising ?
Yes and no. Yes because in todays day and age if you want to go fast the Bullet is outclassed by more modern and powerful machines. No because there is a huge market for racing classics such as Customs and Hot rods. The Bullet would fall bang in this category. Immense fun racing them but not against modern machines as on a CC to CC comparison the bullet would fall short. I see what you have done to your bike ans it is drop dead gorgeous. I would give and arm to own one of those.

- only meant for chopper/cruiser.
I think I have answered this as above.

- all bullets leak oil, so its "okay" and can be ignored. Marks its territory
Hog wash,..even classics can be made reliable. But since unfortunatly the company did not heed to niggling issues in the past, people had to live with these issues meaning more visits to the work shop and thats what gave rise to such remarks. Can't really blame the oldies for making fun of this trait in older Bulls as they had no option but to joke on the sordid aspects of owning the Bulls as they loved them either way.

- no thump, no bullet
This is an entirely personal choice. If one wants thump rush and buy before the CI is phased out.

Same as above.

- standard 350 is the true bullet
No siree,...it may be the original bullet. But that does'nt make the rest of them lesser bullets.

First time I am hearing of it in this thread. In an age where people are going for lighter and stronger components to make the engine run cleaner and faster this sounds like an oxymoron. But then if its a classic then why not.

- my bullet can do 20kmph in 4th gear, urs cant. So its not a true bullet
Why on earth would I want to lug my engine!! just because it can ??

Don't agree with the sissy bit,..but its nice to different.

- AVL is not as reliable as CI
Absolutely wrong. The avl is cleaner, faster, and more maintainance free than any bullet ever built.

- and dozen other concepts[/quote]
Keep them coming,...good fun interacting with our bhai log,..this is the beauty of this bikes we have young 25 yr olds like you who have made such customs out of the bullet and we also have farmers in dhotis doting over their bikes for decades.

I can understand poeple not knowing what a custom is and being confused on what you have done to your bike, but you must know that living in India is not as straight forward as in the west.
You must learn to ignore,..and take some abuse as well. Speaking with personal expierience running a factory in the heartland of lawlessness.
You just have to learn to take things in your stride. Its finally all about different strokes for different folks right !!!?

Ride on brother,..hope to see you some day !
Old 16th May 2009, 12:11   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really? .But Once Accustomed to RHS gearshift ,it is not difficult.
Old 16th May 2009, 12:35   #83
Senior - BHPian

Some review on the Classic
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/au...ROYAL.html?hpw

Is this available in India?
Old 16th May 2009, 14:32   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Some review on the Classic
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/au...ROYAL.html?hpw

Is this available in India?

Sad such a beautiful bike made in India by Indian's by we cant even buy it, All we get from RE is the CI, out-dated junk which ""marks its territory" rofl
Old 16th May 2009, 14:47   #85
Senior - BHPian

Source: NY Times.

The Classic does look good except the silencer. The look is not difficult to achieve. The frame is almost exactly the same as a normal Bullet with different mounting points.

The frame and body have the same paint. Single seat. Different tank look. Air Filter box. Thats it. But the outcome is seriously good!

@Torque-ative: This thread is a must-read for all Enfield owners. Seriously.

Last edited by Gordon : 16th May 2009 at 15:03.
Old 16th May 2009, 14:51   #86
Senior - BHPian

It is Costing Rs3.5Lac There in USA?
Old 17th May 2009, 00:52   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post

Source: NY Times.
i have seen a foreigner riding a classic replica just like the one above in bangalore. its an electra 5s actually done up quite well i must say. will try and get a pic or 2 of it from the dealership that it was done.
Old 17th May 2009, 02:57   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
i have seen a foreigner riding a classic replica just like the one above in bangalore. its an electra 5s actually done up quite well i must say. will try and get a pic or 2 of it from the dealership that it was done.
This is a black one right? I have seen this too.. I saw it even today. But the person riding it didnt look like a foreigner
Old 17th May 2009, 19:49   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
This is a black one right? I have seen this too.. I saw it even today. But the person riding it didnt look like a foreigner
its a red one actually. if it was not for the engine and a rectangular tail lamp i would have been fooled into thinking that this "is" the classic. anyway, will post pics once i get hold of them.
Old 18th May 2009, 10:05   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
No you're not wrong. Everything you mentioned above is right. Its good to know things in real detail when they are true.

What you have just mentioned is so good to read. Since they are factual. Problem arises when we get to hear weird concepts which have no real meaning.

Tell me honestly Torque-ative since you have owned a Royal Enfield and were a member of a Enfield Club, do you actually agree with these concepts:

- Bullet is meant only for cruising : Rubish : you let her rip and the note you will hear will make many a musicians wet their pants.
- only meant for chopper/cruiser : Actually a bullet is NOT a chopper, I shall start a seperate thread on it and giving my philosophy.
- all bullets leak oil, so its "okay" and can be ignored. Marks its territory : Well if you have a retarded baby you won't call her retarded, you will call them 'Special'
- no thump, no bullet : Personal Opinion.
- standard 350 is the true bullet : Personally I feel they are sharper and better to ride.
- my bullet can do 20kmph in 4th gear, urs cant. So its not a true bullet : Doesn't make a difference
- right gears defines bullet, left gears for sissy : Left gears bulls were made to appeal to a larger set of audience who primarily did not use bulls because they were right geared. Hence again doesn't make a diff.
- AVL is not as reliable as CI : I think AVLS are more reliable.
- and dozen other concepts
Was out of town, And I have just given my two bits above.

Having said so, you want to know what the thump is let me try ,
the thump is the sound of that massive CAST IRON Block burning sweet poison called petrol and moving the crank and letting all the unusable through the exhaust in a very sweet note.

There is not 'logic' to the thump, its either you have it or you don't. The cast irons have it and the avls don't.

It doesnt mean the AVLs are not good bikes or for sissies or for people who want it easy, and people who buy avls do not understand the 'true bullet quotient'.

For me i still stick to my thought of, the thump is the character of the bull, and hence no thump : no bull.

cheers,
ac

Last edited by ac 427 : 18th May 2009 at 10:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks