Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 10:20   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
Sad such a beautiful bike made in India by Indian's by we cant even buy it, All we get from RE is the CI, out-dated junk which ""marks its territory" rofl
Just curios to know, have u EVER been on a bullet ?

ac
Old 18th May 2009, 11:55   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
loves bullet for its 'comfort' factor ALONE.
Comfort for the driver - yes.

1. The seating position is good and the ride is comfortable even in bad roads
2. Very good for long rides (the power delivery is good for the weight of a single person)

But comfort for the pillion? - No

1. The foot pegs are not positioned great.
2. The hard shocks will give you hard times in bad roads when you are going slow!!
3. The seating position is not that great for the pillion!!
4. It doesn't pull that great with two heavy people :( so you get tired very easily since you have to always plan your next move well in advance.

So my experience says, bullet is good for you when you are single!! in all the sense
Old 18th May 2009, 14:57   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Just curios to know, have u EVER been on a bullet ?

ac

This question brings back memories @ac !!
The first time I was astride on a bullet was when I was in my third year of college,..and how.

This was on a 500cc beast and the owner a dear friend. I took it out for a spin,..and on my return my friend shook his head in dissapproval.

When I asked him what,.. he smirked and said I'll show you how to ride a bullet,..and I gave room for him,..and what followed was a full on assault on all my senses,..when we returned my eyes were watering and I probably looked like I had my finger stuck in a live wire socket all the way!!!

OH! boy a 500 cc cast iron bullet on full throttle is like a dive bomber without the sirens,..its a feeling which has to be expierienced. I think we maxed out at about 120kmph,..so it wasn't the speed which was so thrilling but the whole expierience of the exhaust roar ( cant call it a thump at this stage) and so much heavy metal and the nimbleness for the sheer mass this vehicle has!!!
Old 18th May 2009, 15:04   #94
Team-BHP Support

1. The foot pegs are not positioned great.
Can be adjusted. Just a question of loosening one bolt.

2. The hard shocks will give you hard times in bad roads when you are going slow!!
Replace with air shocks.
Don't find this as a show stopper or even an issue.
She glides over bad roads.
In fact I am way faster on bad roads than level roads compared to other bikes.

3. The seating position is not that great for the pillion!!
Depends on the bike.
The worst is the tb. But an extra pad of foam helps.

4. It doesn't pull that great with two heavy people :( so you get tired very easily since you have to always plan your next move well in advance.
I have not felt any such thing.

Last edited by bblost : 18th May 2009 at 15:05.
Old 18th May 2009, 19:38   #95
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I felt the same way when a bullet rider went past me. I went onto a question asking spree and got the same comments you are getting.

The good,
Agreed its not the fastest and the best money can buy, but you just dont buy a bullet for buying a motorcycle, you buy it for all that comes along...the image, the pleasure, the troubles and the stares and wows.

Not that it may matter to many, i can easily do 130 kmph on my 500.
Its pretty fast for nearly a 200 kg bike. But all fades away when a 500cc single thumps you ahead, with authority.

The bad,
Quality..... i have to say that Royal Enfield is a cheapskate company and Bullets aren't always equipped with the best parts. They could do better. They leak (though less now, very less), break down, bulb go kapoot more often and so on.

I can keep on defending bullets and critizing them for days. What will be the outcome.... same as it was earlier. I got myself a Royal Enfield 500 CC LB. All Chrome and Black.

Do i regret the decision? not even for a second and i rather insist you get one for yourself.

which one to get, doesnt matter. The new ones break down very less and are much easier to ride. The left shifter or the right shifter is a fluke. One can easily switch over to any.

Now go do the right thing and get it over with.
What the worst that could happen.
You could be a owner of a motorcycle that you always wanted but didnt like. Sell it.
Old 19th May 2009, 01:09   #96
BHPian

I dont think there should be an opinion poll on femininity on a bullet. Coz its got none. Its a pure macho bike in whatever form it comes in and I hate to see people modding it up into choppers and the like. Alright lets get to the point. Now I would anyday suggest you a Bullet Standard as it is still made in the same old way except for that hideous silencer. The same goes on an Electra too. And that was the first thing I threw out of the bike. I have a 2006 Electra 4S. Had no trouble with it or what so ever till date. There was one point of time when I was jobless and broke and I ran the bike without changing the oil for almost 6500km and it still moved on for almost 1 year with no oil leaks. And not only that it comes with a very handy digital CDI. Now that avoids those breathless moments of pushing one of these white elephants when they break down, yes I am talking about point ignition my friend. They are great to be still working vintage technology but when they break down well you can pretty much guess.

Now the new Royal Enfields are way too expensive for no reason. The quality sucks big time and except for the Bullet standard, the rest of the lot for some reason looks plasticy.

My kind suggestion is to get yourself a decent 2005 or a 2006 Bullet Electra for all the money you have saved on buying a new one. Once you buy it, overhaul the engine, and if it has that crappy silencer that come in the new ones, throw them out. Get the old bullet standard's exhaust bent pipe and the short bubble silencer that you normally see on old standards. There is a company that still manufactures these it is called "Paramount" trust me put these on ur Electra and you will instantly know the difference.

I hope my long suggestion helps. But to cut it short, if you want a machine that still looks vintage no doubt you go to throw you leg over a Bullet Standard, but if you are a little bit okay with vintage with a little bit of modern technology hidden into it, The Bullet Electra 4s and not the 5s I hate the gear shift on that coz its too noisy and notchy.
Old 19th May 2009, 01:16   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191
I hope my long suggestion helps. But to cut it short, if you want a machine that still looks vintage no doubt you go to throw you leg over a Bullet Standard, but if you are a little bit okay with vintage with a little bit of modern technology hidden into it, The Bullet Electra 4s
Bullet Electra 4S is no more available as a New Buy!(Hope the same in northern india as well) sadly :( .Only RHS Gearshift of New Bikes from RE -is now available with STD only AFAIK.
Old 19th May 2009, 14:20   #98
BHPian

Thank you everyone for contributing so generously on this thread. this actually is begning to look like a bible for deciding on buying Bullets.
Well as for me, I have been busy doing rounds at many bullet workshops and made friends with almost all mechanics.
I have found out that once you buy this bike you dont only get in to a relationship with the bike but also with the mechanic!. The Bull teaches you, or rather makes you learn the small nitty gritties of the bike, somewhat makes you the mini mechanic!
Yes all the mechanics suggested me to go in for the Std. Bullet and avoid the newer versions or the latest TBTS. I dont know why, but i have begun suspecting that the mechanics have so much got used to the older versions that are they not wanting to upgrade their knowledge to DTSI?
They spoke highly about the reliability being an issue! This is what i gathered from their talks. I mean reliability issues can be had with any other bike if not maintained properly, only that the chances of unreliability increases with the bullet and requires changing of parts frequently due to "no mistake of the owner" (read manufacturing defects!).
Anyways my search is still on and I have spoken to few owners for a good second hand deal (somehow i feel they are asking too much) lets see! would wait for a better deal, but surely buy it. dont know when??? till then my trusted CBZ is doing the rounds for me.
keep giving in your valuable suggestions which would help many people like me to decide the right thing to do.
Old 5th September 2009, 23:36   #99
BHPian

Hi folks its been almost four long months and the search for my Bullet has been quite a roller coaster ride.
Last 2 months have been quite revolutionary. And was thinking on different lines as to why not go in for a new one and leave all the hassle of searching for a perfect second hand bullet behind.
I had a complete change of mind and started exploring the fact of buying a new RE.

(with finances in place i was ready for a brand new chapter in my life) finally after going through a lot of threads decided on the new THUNDERBIRD TWIN SPARK.

Yes Finally. Booked it today and the delivery is scheduled for 20th September the long wait is due to some unauspicious period (called pitrupaksha) and folks at home are more worried about the time and date of delivery.
Infact this month we welcome in our house one more member from the four wheeled family but more on that later on a different thread in a different section.

My beauty here would be dressed in dashing Black with lot of crome splashes to spice up her look. just waiting for 20th now. Meanwhile TBTS gurus might help me for PDI list or what general things to look for while taking the delivery of the beast.

Note for Mods: Please edit the title to finally its TBTS!!
Cheers!!
Old 6th September 2009, 01:08   #100
BHPian

Way to go man.

Congratulations for your choice brother! Do post a few pics of the "Smiling You" & Your "Striking beauty" once you get to lay your hands on it. Quite sad though that you have to wait back till the "Pitrupaksha" is over.

I own an Electra 5S Disc & Electric start for past 2.5 years & have done around 18000 Km on on it & trust me I have turned more heads than a plain Std 350. Initially I also had an impression that the Std 350 gives you a better thump & got into the manliness etc & stuff. Trust me the new Std 350 has the similar glass wool filled silencer & equally uninteresting thump as the Electras & TBs. So why should you unnecessarily get involved in a right side geared bullet by changing your riding habits (considering you rode a left side geared bike. be it RIGHT or WRONG). Also you get an added advantage of the fifth gear which makes your highway riding a breeze. You can effortlessly cruise at 80 Kmph in the fifth gear.

Anyways, now that this debate is almost over & you have booked the love of your life, just a few learnings that I would like to share with you;

1) The Bandra dealer that I bought my electra from delayed the delivery by whole 29 days & when I was informed that my Electra is ready for delivery, it was still on a TC registration & the actuals registration took 4 more days.

2) Check the engine oil level in the bike on delivery. Mine only had half the original which resulted into overheating & the whole bendpipe (thats what the guys at RE service centre call it) got burnt. Although I got it replaced Free of cost in the second servicing from the guys at Mahim centre. Be sure that you inspect all of your beauty thoroughly before taking the charge.

3) Allow the engine to run-in properly. Do not ride it above 60 Kmph for atleast 1500 Kms. It really helped me getting better acceleration, speed & efficiency. The engine actually settles down only after 3500 Km & starts giving you a better performance, acceleration & efficiency.

4) You may want to replace the headlight bulb with a Phillips one that costs around 75 Rs. I do not remeber the wattage correctly. I found my original bulb to be underpowered for the highways. This new one works like magic. PM me if you need the exact details.

5) I have come to know that there is no decompressor switch on the TBTS. (Correct me if I am wrong guys). So dont be upset if you dont find one your beast .

5) Do keep an eye on the leg guards (front & back), mirrors & handle bars as they tend to catch rust if not maintained well (especially in monsoons, the antirust coat etc.)

6) The REs actually handle well with a full tank or with a little bit of added weight. Also, that reminds me that the reserve capacity is considerably small for a bike of its size & fuel vanishes in no time. So keep your fuel level up.

7) With great powers come greater responsibilties. Treat your TBTS with respect & it will treat you with the ultimate joy of riding.

8) It is a little expensive to maintain than the other bikes, a regular engine & gear oil change will set you back around 500 Rs, but then it is not as expensive as an RD350.

I guess thats about it. Do share your experiences & Congratulations once again!

Peace.
Old 6th September 2009, 01:59   #101
Senior - BHPian

schitre05, congratulations for the new TBTS!

And, thank you for starting this thread. This is THE thread to follow for all the wannabe Bullet owners.
Old 6th September 2009, 02:35   #102
BHPian

Congratulations, and do revert with Pics and reports - including if you can hear the "True Thump" etc. ;-p
Old 6th September 2009, 21:40   #103
BHPian

hi everyone !

have been reading this thread for quite some time now, just got my membership approved so posint, I too bought a bull in june 26 this year. This thread was a great help. i got myself a RE STD 350, just added the Gas shocks.

Nice being here.

Shantanu
Old 7th September 2009, 11:49   #104
BHPian

Congratulations schitre05 and shan2129!! Welcome to the real world!
Old 7th September 2009, 15:38   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
and the delivery is scheduled for 20th September
I too am toying with the idea of going in for a TB. I was 100% sure of it till a couple of months ago. After going through the high octane debates and discussions on your threads, can you believe it, i am not so sure anymore!!

So I am desperately waiting you to be united with your TB and you posting your experiences and then of course the gyan that is sure to follow from all quarters!!

But guys! let me congratulate you for such an intense thread!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks