Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2009, 16:27   #1
BHPian

P150 Airfilter Mod

Hi guys, lately I have been experimenting with my P150 UG1. I have always wanted to install k&n and up jet my bike. I wanted a smoother, free revving engine. But decided to do it the cheaper way. Instead of installing k&n, I drilled a few holes in the stock air filter and up jetted to P180 main jet and raise the needle by on notch to richen the fuel flow. The induction roar is amazingly similar to the k&n roar, maybe slightly muted. Low and mid range has improved, but sadly not much improvement in the top end. Maybe the P180 main jet was a overkill!

Comments and suggestions welcome.

A pic of the airfilter mod is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
P150 Airfilter Mod-0507_143014.jpg  

Old 7th May 2009, 21:17   #2
BHPian

why dont you just buy a K&N RC1060 filter? you'll get better performance and its actually worth it. Even with the drilled holes, the stock filter wont take in as much air as the K&N. If you notice that the bike bogs down when you open the throttle fully and coughs while reaching its top speed then the mixture is rich which i think is the case and it should be solved by a K&N.
Old 8th May 2009, 16:48   #3
BHPian

Well two reasons, firstly K&N is costly compared to this mod. Secondly, not available where I am staying presently (Guwahati). The sound is similar to a K&N and I thought K&N is actually an overkill of such a small engine!
Old 8th May 2009, 19:26   #4
BHPian

if the filtering is not compromised then i'd say it beats the K&N. i mean gimme a break - like K&N for that price is even worth it! how much do you get out of a K&N on a P150? 1 or 2 bhp? for a few thousand. you tell me if it's worth it.
Old 9th May 2009, 03:06   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The RC 1060 doesnt cost a few thousand. About 1.6k or so.

Secondly, it is worth it only for the noise. I loved the noise the filter used to make.

Performance: Not much. Unless you ride at >100 frequently. At lower RPMs, you dont feel much(you dont feel anything would be almost true). But above 100, you do feel it. It pulls more eagerly.

This has been my experience. If riding a bike is more than just 0-100 times, if it is about the whole experience, the acceleration, the feel of the bikes, the noise, etc, then maybe it is worth it.

If you want a fast bike and dont care abt anything else, K&N filter will not help you much except at the highest rpms and speeds.
Old 10th May 2009, 10:12   #6
BHPian

The filtering should not be compromised in any way. And, it does sound much better than stock and almost similar to K&N. So, I think it is worth doing.
Old 10th May 2009, 10:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

did the same to my CBZ's box !! It was super cool idea to do that way.. Saved so many bucks but K&N hype forced me buy it but it was hopeless!!
Old 11th May 2009, 01:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet080808 View Post
The filtering should not be compromised in any way. And, it does sound much better than stock and almost similar to K&N. So, I think it is worth doing.
You are primarily concentrating on the point that your bike sounds similar to a bike with a K&N, whereas that is not what you should be concentrating on. The sound is merely a byproduct of installing the filter (or this mod). You need to concentrate more on the performance. Installing the filter alone will not do much, will only make the engine run leaner.

Upjetting the carb will give better results. The K&N RC1060 costs Rs.1650/- here in pune. As Nikhilb2008 pointed out, you will notice a gain in power only in the higher power band. This is due to a reason. While upjetting the carb, you will be installing a larger main jet. The main jet operates only between 3/4 to full open throttle. So most of the performance will be noticed in the higher power band. For more low end performance you will need to change the pilot jet which i dont suggest changing as it has a tendency to mess up tuning on a stock setup with only a filter.

Its your call to make the change in the filter or not. Installing an aftermarket filter is not what performance is about, its a stepping stone to performance. You can gain a max of 2 bhp from it. Take care while jetting, keep track of misfires and check sparkplug to know how the engine is running with the new jet, i.e. rich or lean. Also, if you dont get a K&N in guwahati then send me a PM, i maybe able to help you.

Good luck m8!
Old 11th May 2009, 11:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmOD View Post
You are primarily concentrating on the point that your bike sounds similar to a bike with a K&N, whereas that is not what you should be concentrating on. The sound is merely a byproduct of installing the filter (or this mod). You need to concentrate more on the performance. Installing the filter alone will not do much, will only make the engine run leaner.

Upjetting the carb will give better results. The K&N RC1060 costs Rs.1650/- here in pune. As Nikhilb2008 pointed out, you will notice a gain in power only in the higher power band. This is due to a reason. While upjetting the carb, you will be installing a larger main jet. The main jet operates only between 3/4 to full open throttle. So most of the performance will be noticed in the higher power band. For more low end performance you will need to change the pilot jet which i dont suggest changing as it has a tendency to mess up tuning on a stock setup with only a filter.

Its your call to make the change in the filter or not. Installing an aftermarket filter is not what performance is about, its a stepping stone to performance. You can gain a max of 2 bhp from it. Take care while jetting, keep track of misfires and check sparkplug to know how the engine is running with the new jet, i.e. rich or lean. Also, if you dont get a K&N in guwahati then send me a PM, i maybe able to help you.

Good luck m8!
Thanks for your reply!

Well As I have said, this is what I did on my P150-
1. Drilled holes in the air filter.
2. Upjetted to P180 mainjet for better top end.
3. Moved needle up by one notch to improve mid range.
4. Opened up the pilot jet screw slightly for better low end.

And, performance HAS INCREASED all round. Tell me, will a K&N offer much greater air flow compared to this mod that I can upjet further?

P.S. - The top end is a little mushy, maybe too rich due to the upjet. So, thinking about drilling a few more holes.
Old 11th May 2009, 21:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Tell me, will a K&N offer much greater air flow compared to this mod that I can upjet further?
Yes i do think that a K&N offers more air flow than a stock filter plus it also lasts longer (1 Million miles warranty). I think you can go higher with the jetting in a K&N. Otherwise, remove the filter cover entirely and see if there are any gains. What I have done to my dio is, i've removed the filter box completely and attached the filter directly to the carb while upjetting from size 58 to size 78.

Try what i said and post the results. The only way you can experiment properly is when you have some spare jets with you. So find your carb make and jet dimensions, get hold of some jets to experiment.

O.T: If you want better low end then you can also go in for bigger rear sprocket.
Old 11th May 2009, 21:54   #11
BHPian

Upjetting from size 58 to size 78? In that case, K&N will be worth it. If I go for K&N, I would expect to upgrade to 125 jet size from current 118. This is because after 118, only 125 jet is available - from Zma. Stock is 113. And low end is not important. I need better mid and top end.

I will remove my filter and see. If, further upgrades are possible, I will most probably go for K&N.
Old 12th May 2009, 00:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I will remove my filter and see. If, further upgrades are possible, I will most probably go for K&N.
Dont remove your filter, just remove the filter cover. If you want to know what kind of performance you can expect with an aftermarket filter then remove the filter completely and then run the bike, but be careful that you test in a clean place otherwise a lot of dust can go inside the carb and engine.

Also, about the jet sizes you mentioned. There are a lot of jets between 115 and 125, you just need to know your carb make and model to get the jets. If possible find out this info and post here, i may be able to help you. I found jets for my dio the same way and ordered alternating jets starting from 58 to 78, am now testing 78 which is the last one i have.

Good Luck!
Old 12th May 2009, 11:08   #13
BHPian

My carb in UCAL Mikuni BS26. I only know that P180 has 118 size main jet which I am already using. No idea of any jet size greater than that available on any Indian motorcycle except Zma (125). Are other intermediate jet sizes available in India? (120, 122 etc) If so, where?
Old 12th May 2009, 14:35   #14
BHPian

I dont know if these jet sizes are available in india or not but i ordered mine from here. Check em out and see if any jet matches the dimensions of your jet. Also, that pocket tuner looks like a nice little tool.
Also, if you cant find your jet there, I know someone in pune who makes jets for several bikes. They can make them and ship it to you. Contact Sohail @ Extreme Machines on 9970717867.

Hope i could help you.
Old 12th May 2009, 22:01   #15
BHPian

Thanks for the web link. I will do some spark plug chopping and mileage testing before deciding what to do. I will post my results here in a few days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks