Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2009, 22:05   #1
BHPian

xx's RX-100 Project

OK, I finally got around to starting my RX-100 project.
  1. On 5-8-09, I picked up a 95 one owner (at least papers say so) RX-100 for 15k. Engine made a decent sound, bike looked more or less decent. It had the usual old bike flaws (broken turn signals, ODO not working and so on). I had looked at at least a dozen RX's in the past month, but most of them were abused beyond repair. This one I thought had potential.
  2. Immediately picked up parts worth 8100. Went with the "If I can name it, I'll replace it" approach and picked up every part I could think of. Instead of screwing around with painters, I picked up a brand new petrol tank and side panels in the color that I wanted. I really have no idea what the bike actually needs or doesn't need. I figured that the stuff that comes off the bike in good condition can make spares for future generations.
Sorry don't have pictures of the bike yet, neither the parts. In the meantime, let's play a little game. Why don't you guys take a look at the attached parts list and tell me which are original and which are not (I made a few deliberate choices for OEM versus cheaper aftermarket), which I really should have gotten, which I don't need etc. There are so many RX projects here and enthusiasts that I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge.

Oh, I really can't begin this project without thanking my colleague, friend and Hindi translator Abhishek who put up with my tantrums and patiently weeded through many bikes and patiently stood there bargaining on my behalf with the dealer and parts shop.Thanks buddy.
Attached Thumbnails
xx's RX-100 Project-100_0571-large.jpg  

xx's RX-100 Project-100_0572-large.jpg  

xx's RX-100 Project-100_0573-large.jpg  

xx's RX-100 Project-100_0574-large.jpg  

Last edited by xxaarraa : 8th May 2009 at 22:25.
Old 8th May 2009, 22:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Cool.. I only have one thing to say, this is 2 stroke bike's days. Everywhere the 2stroke bikes in general are raining.

I do own a RX100 from long time and I would say a real true value bike. This bike is another milestone in Indian automobile secnario.

Good luck to your new find, I really can't verify your parts prices, however I have only one request to all the people who read this post.

PLEASE DON'T BUY UNWANTED PARTS FOR YOUR BIKE WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING WHAT YOU REALLY WANT. THIS WILL ONLY MAKE THE VENDORS TO SMELL SOMETHING FISHY AND MAKE THE PRICES GO UP. FINALLY WE ARE ALL IN TROUBLE.

I hope you got what I mean.
Old 8th May 2009, 22:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post

PLEASE DON'T BUY UNWANTED PARTS FOR YOUR BIKE WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING WHAT YOU REALLY WANT. THIS WILL ONLY MAKE THE VENDORS TO SMELL SOMETHING FISHY AND MAKE THE PRICES GO UP. FINALLY WE ARE ALL IN TROUBLE.

I hope you got what I mean.
Tramway, I know what you mean, when people clean out shops for the heck of it. But I have to disagree with you:
  1. These are classics. You never know when the parts will start becoming unavailable. Owning a classic that doesn't run isn't a lot of fun.
  2. I buy bikes to keep them and appreciate them and use them. And I always maintain a stock of necessary parts for every bike I own. Even if I didn't buy all these parts today, I would have stocked up very soon. I just happened to be at the store where they had everything so it was convenient.
Old 8th May 2009, 22:38   #4
BANNED

That dosent look like a Yamaha Dealers receipt. Lot of fakes around preferably buy from a Yamaha Spares from a Yamaha dealer.
Old 9th May 2009, 08:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

xx, you're going full steam man!!

Man for the RX parts buy from a delaer, most of them still have RX parts for sale and you'll get originals. The o-rings, packings, oil seals etc need to be original for best reliability and to save niggling oil seeping issues. The receipt can't tell us which parts are OEM and which are non OEM, but since you dint buy from a dealer you must've got a mix of OEM and nonOEM parts which is usually the case with local shops.
Old 9th May 2009, 23:08   #6
BANNED

I think you are suppose to buy RD isnt it what happen got any or still hunt is going on.
BTW match the quality of parts with old ones, you'll come to know the difference between original and after market stuff.
I stopped buying anything in India for my RD's either import of buys 2nds originals.
Old 11th May 2009, 19:11   #7
BHPian

OK folks, here is a before and after picture (have not done the engine casing chroming yet, so haven't gotten rid of the ugly stickers).

I have a question: The bike feels really smooth, revs really well but there is a distinct lack of power. It also tops out at 70-80. Could this be:
  1. Carb tuning? I haven't touched the carb since I bought it
  2. Exhaust gunk? I pulled the little filter filament thing out the back and it was really sludgy. I am going to get a new filter and blow/clean out the exhaust but can this affect performance?
What else? I don't know the condition of the engine, but just judging from vibrations, gut feel and the sound, she sounds healthy.
Attached Thumbnails
xx's RX-100 Project-05092009111.jpg  

xx's RX-100 Project-05112009124.jpg  

xx's RX-100 Project-05112009128.jpg  

Last edited by xxaarraa : 11th May 2009 at 19:13.
Old 11th May 2009, 21:59   #8
BHPian

And when you remove the stickers please get the rx-100 in the side cover pointing right side up.

Well tell you what, you have asked a question and answered the same.
If that does't help maybe you want to get the clutch checked.
Old 27th May 2009, 11:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
O
I have a question: The bike feels really smooth, revs really well but there is a distinct lack of power. It also tops out at 70-80. Could this be:
  1. Carb tuning? I haven't touched the carb since I bought it
  2. Exhaust gunk? I pulled the little filter filament thing out the back and it was really sludgy. I am going to get a new filter and blow/clean out the exhaust but can this affect performance?
What else? I don't know the condition of the engine, but just judging from vibrations, gut feel and the sound, she sounds healthy.
You should open the top end and give it a quick looks. For all you know, the engine might show its age (piston slap, connecting rod play). Also, do check if your bike is running the correct sprockets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks