Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 12:26   #91
BHPian

Yamaha Fazer vs FZ16- Is the price justified

Hi,
Yesterday I visited the Yamaha showroom in Mumbai. The new Fazer does look very good in comparision to FZ16. I inquired about the prices
1) FZ-16 - 75,000 OTR
2) FZ-S -77,000 OTR
3) Fazer - 83,000 OTR

There is no difference between the 3 except the front fairing. Everything else is the same, or is it ? Is the 83 K then justified for only some plastics in the front fairing ?

Also why is it being positioned as a 150cc touring bike? Has some changes been made to the ride position/length/height or has the gearing been changed for this purpose .

From the tech specs, I could not tell a single difference. What do you guys think ?
Old 14th July 2009, 14:18   #92
BHPian

I guess its similiar to sunglasses or similar accessories. If something makes you look better then people dont mind paying a little bit more, infact some people dont mind paying a whole lot more on accessories. Same is the case with the Fazer, its just a FZ with better looks which few people might not mind paying a little bit extra for its stunning looks . Its each ones perspective on the looks department. Some will feel the current naked looks of the FZ are good, but some would like a sportier one like the Fazer. The matter of whether the current price is way to high or suitably priced for the additional enhancements is a different question altogether. but to me I guess 5 K is too much of a diff. If its just the change in fairing and the headlamps then should have been 3K more. But can someone point out if such fairings had to be obtained in the market or need to be fabricated then how much would they cost. This should help in justify/un-justify the additional cost of the Fazer

Last edited by Rotorhead : 14th July 2009 at 14:19.
Old 14th July 2009, 14:40   #93
Senior - BHPian

IMO the pricing is all wrong . they should price it atleast 10K less .
Old 14th July 2009, 14:46   #94
Senior - BHPian

Fazer is sold as a touring bike due to its rugged look with fairing and twin head lights.
Otherwise FZ16 and Fazer have same pedigree of Yamaha.
Old 14th July 2009, 14:52   #95
Senior - BHPian

I belive the rear seat is slightly better than the FZ16 & some small changes here & there.

I found the FZ16 itself has highly priced but then it had everything that Indian Buyers want
- Fat tyres
- Monoshock
- Decent Mileage
- Great pickup (Thanks to the torque)
- Nice Show Off.

The Fazer only takes things next level as far as look are concerned, so I think it will do well too.
Old 14th July 2009, 15:07   #96
Senior - BHPian

that fairing is supposed to minimize wind blast at high speeds
I seriously doubt that cause with that engine bike struggles badly at 3 digit speeds
Old 14th July 2009, 16:33   #97
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the FAZER

Today, I had the opportunity to check out the FAZER, just got a look though, no ride. Here's what I found
  • The things that YAMAHA got right were the front of the R15 and the back of the FZ16. Guess what? The FAZER comes with both. In effect it is the in-between bike, a kind of one size fits all.
  • The handle bar on the FAZER is different from the FZ16. Besides that, there are a slew of smaller touches, like the steel grey rear grab handles, the body coloured tank (no center black running patch on the tank) and the seat has a different material, to aid long riding hours.
  • The fairing looks very well put together. It is more substantial than a KARIZMA, P220 and STUNNER. It is more in the R15 category.
  • The fairing makes the handle very light and should be awesome in city traffic. The fairing adds weight to the bike and would change the stance vis-a-vis FZ16
  • The FZ-16 has a discount of 2,500 across its normal and FZ-S range. Its also there on their website
  • The FAZER has a waiting period of 20 days
  • The bike would be difficult to park, or rather find parking for. Its definitely not one to be parked on the roadside in a cluster with other bikes
  • One question that was unaswered was - Do the twin lights function like the ones on the R15? Which is, only 1 light in low beam and both lights in high beam.
  • The handling because of good wide rubber, the fairing to keep the air out, the rear grab handles and huge tank to hold your bags, the mileage of a 150cc, all go together to make it a good touring bike. The bike has good ground clearance, twin lights, basically everything you would need to tackle the highway and the countryside. Its more about relaxed take in the scenery riding rather than an expressway blast
  • I want to stick my neck out and say that this is the best bike in the country today - would have definitely bought one if I did not have a big black BULLET between my legs
Attached Thumbnails
New Yamaha Fazer Launched-5800.jpg  

New Yamaha Fazer Launched-6800.jpg  

New Yamaha Fazer Launched-8800.jpg  

Last edited by TheARUN : 14th July 2009 at 16:44. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, thanks
Old 14th July 2009, 16:50   #98
BHPian

IMO, this is the best looking bike in India right now. By a mile.

Every single element of the bike screams NEW and contemporary and makes every other bike look either gauche or outdated in its own way.

I won't comment on the price or the "small" engine. My guess is that with the kind of paint quality, features and chassis that Yamaha's giving on this, a 250cc engine will push the price up over Rs.1.5lakhs. At that price, a lot of non-biking enthusiasts will be crying out that it is unfairly priced.

This bike is beautiful, guys! And compared to what else you get for the same price, you need to choose between monoshock/build-quality/oomph or a bigger engine (P220/ZMA).
Old 14th July 2009, 17:19   #99
Senior - BHPian

+1 to that. A stunner. The bling has arrived, now we need some vroom at an affordable cost which I am sure Yamaha would be doing soon.
Yamaha has woken up.
Old 14th July 2009, 18:11   #100
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the details Arun

Quote:
The handling because of good wide rubber, the fairing to keep the air out, the rear grab handles and huge tank to hold your bags, the mileage of a 150cc, all go together to make it a good touring bike. The bike has good ground clearance, twin lights, basically everything you would need to tackle the highway and the countryside. Its more about relaxed take in the scenery riding rather than an expressway blast
How would tank hold Bags?
Old 14th July 2009, 18:24   #101
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Arun for that lil review. Puts things in perspective.

However the only grip I have which Akshay and others have pointed out is... finally end of the day the juice matters. This does not have it. 150cc mills are just getting really really old.

Same bike with atleast a 250cc mill @ 75k.. then we are talking.

Till then the Indian Bike scene is just Rubbish. (150 - 220ccs at below 1 Lac range. 800cc+ at 12Lac range? Which leaves the REs, which I agree is not Rubbish?)

Last edited by IronWolf : 14th July 2009 at 18:27. Reason: Clarification on Rubbish
Old 14th July 2009, 21:10   #102
BHPian

hey guys I just checked out the fazer today OTR price is Rs.82,410 the rep said the things different are the headlights are adjustable in the sense you can change the height and the engine has been tweaked a little bit i started the FZS and the Fazer both sounded different the Fazer sounded a little more meaty apart from the normal changes the headlights are different only 1 light on low beam and another on high beam as per the bike i saw i would expect both to be on , on the high beam anyway i'll be booking the bike tommorrow morning the wait period as quite alot its expected delivery would be the end of the month will be going for a test ride soon will keep you all posted..
Old 14th July 2009, 21:36   #103
BHPian

Wish the Fazer was launched with an engine in the 225-250 cc segment. Going by the looks of the bike and the positioning, it deserves such an engine.
Old 14th July 2009, 21:44   #104
Senior - BHPian

Yamaha has begun to do a Hero Honda and charge a 'super premium'.
Its funny how all the international companies come to India, and get away with their con jobs which wouldnt stand a chance elsewhere in developed markets.
Old 14th July 2009, 21:47   #105
BHPian

Better buy a Zma at this price (may be it is old horse, but hold well). Zma beats Fazer hands down in all departments.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks