Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2009, 15:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Dude don't go by our words. How many of us who are posting here have ridden both for a considerable amount of time? Mind you, not talking of the occassional spin on a friends bike. How many have owned the two for at least about 5k kms? So go out and ride them both. Comet is not an antique (not as antique as the RD) but its no two stroker either. From what i read in your posts, you like long distance rides more than drags. Now try doing mumbai-shirdi-mumbai on an RD as often as you do and then make up your mind.

If its a question of money, then i guess the obvious answer is RD. Look no further then cause Comet is going to cost you at least twice as much as an RD and this whole debate is pointless.

Happy Choosing!
Old 20th May 2009, 17:01   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Dude don't go by our words. How many of us who are posting here have ridden both for a considerable amount of time? Mind you, not talking of the occassional spin on a friends bike. How many have owned the two for at least about 5k kms? So go out and ride them both. Comet is not an antique (not as antique as the RD) but its no two stroker either. From what i read in your posts, you like long distance rides more than drags. Now try doing mumbai-shirdi-mumbai on an RD as often as you do and then make up your mind.

If its a question of money, then i guess the obvious answer is RD. Look no further then cause Comet is going to cost you at least twice as much as an RD and this whole debate is pointless.

Happy Choosing!
Do you know how much RDs are being sold for??? Let me tell you that a good condition RD is going for 70,000 way upto 1lac.

Going on RD on long distance rides is a bit of a stress. After all its dam old & if anything goes wrong, it surely cant be taken to any road side garage for fixing.

Regardless of all this, I love the RD, hence I own 2 of them. It is truely a killer bike.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:02   #33
BHPian

Quote:
How many have owned the two for at least about 5k kms? So go out and ride them both.
Yes, best would be to ride both for 5k km before deciding

Quote:
Not sure if you know how much a good RD will cost. Like insaneroller mentioned, it will cost you nothing less than 70k today(if you are lucky that too). How much does a Comet cost?

ac427: Please post the price of both, so we can help you decide better.

I own a RD350 and one thing I can tell you is that once you own it, you will not like any sub-350 cc 4-stroker. My vote is for the RD350.
Old 21st May 2009, 16:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

A comet would cost you about 1.3lacs. Not sure if anyone is willing to sell it for less than that unless there is a history to the bike. I keep hearing of people selling comets but never get to know the price of sale. Speedy on this forum got his one for 1.3 i think.
Coming back to a good condition RD costing 70k-1lac. Would you want to pay so much is again the question. You would if you are a speed freak and like to drag. Otherwise? The bikes have completely different character and one needs to clearly understand what is one looking for. Else you end up with the wrong bike and then state that "I owned an RD/Comet but i wasn't impressed". Why blame the bikes for our poor reading of ones own wants.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:05   #35
BHPian

Id choose a comet over an rd. You'll loose less money at the end when you sell it. Secondly, if you are big-made, forget about riding long distance on an rd. It isnt comfortable. I feel the comet would be a better choice here!!
Old 21st May 2009, 17:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:
A comet would cost you about 1.3lacs. Not sure if anyone is willing to sell it for less than that unless there is a history to the bike. I keep hearing of people selling comets but never get to know the price of sale. Speedy on this forum got his one for 1.3 i think.
Coming back to a good condition RD costing 70k-1lac. Would you want to pay so much is again the question. You would if you are a speed freak and like to drag. Otherwise? The bikes have completely different character and one needs to clearly understand what is one looking for. Else you end up with the wrong bike and then state that "I owned an RD/Comet but i wasn't impressed". Why blame the bikes for our poor reading of ones own wants.
This makes more sense. One really needs to have a clear cut idea of what they are looking for. I was clearly in the mode to own India's fastest bike even till date. So RD still holds that position. I bought an awesome one for 80k & the other for 60k
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

first of all, have you been able to locate an RD & a Comet for sale? If possible, test ride them both, and see what suits you best. Everything else comes later. You need to feel comfortable on the bike & also be able to handle the vehicle without issues.
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
first of all, have you been able to locate an RD & a Comet for sale? If possible, test ride them both, and see what suits you best. Everything else comes later. You need to feel comfortable on the bike & also be able to handle the vehicle without issues.

I have, and yes you are true, once i get on the bike i will get a feel of the same.

cheers,
ac
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:31   #39
BANNED

BTW an OK RD may come for 70K but a complete stock RD goes for hell lot of money, My mechanic is having 2 RD's up for sale quoting 2.5L each .
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
BTW an OK RD may come for 70K but a complete stock RD goes for hell lot of money, My mechanic is having 2 RD's up for sale quoting 2.5L each .

let me guess these 2 RDs have gold plated exhauts ? Similar to the gold lining in the mclaren f1

cheers,
ac
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:02   #41
BANNED

Jokes apart come down to Bangalore and ask for Anthony and see your self what a 2.5L RD looks like.
Old 24th May 2009, 09:34   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Jokes apart come down to Bangalore and ask for Anthony and see your self what a 2.5L RD looks like.
Knowing your taste, Ajay, Anthony will probably have to chase me out of seeing the bikes... I'll end up drooling all over them...

They must be completely stock huh? And the engine must also be unsleeved and silencers wont have a single dent. Am I close?
Old 25th May 2009, 12:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

We are missing the point and going OT i guess. He doesn't want to spend 2.5lacs. And i wouldn't spend it on an RD if i couldn't ride it the way i'm supposed to ride an RD. Its a collectors edition and there is no point in comparing such a bike with a regular, everyday run bike. Which is what he wants i guess. Nyways...haven't heard if he made up his mind yet. All this gyan by all of us just might end of confusing him to no end and he may just go get the FZ.
Old 25th May 2009, 17:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are missing the point and going OT i guess. He doesn't want to spend 2.5lacs. And i wouldn't spend it on an RD if i couldn't ride it the way i'm supposed to ride an RD. Its a collectors edition and there is no point in comparing such a bike with a regular, everyday run bike. Which is what he wants i guess. Nyways...haven't heard if he made up his mind yet. All this gyan by all of us just might end of confusing him to no end and he may just go get the FZ.
nopes brother, Am here, Infact i have become very much clear about what i want to buy.

THe Mad RD or the Sensible (comparatively) Comet.

RD for the mad rush, the short bursts of exhiliriation and maniacal speed, but coupled with lots of maintainence issues and a long lasting relationship with the Mechanic. More like Jeremy Clarkson, Power on the mind.

COmet : the more sensible, more reliable, option. not so exotic, but has its value in its right, but futures uncertain, parts are an issue. This bikes more like James May : safe sound and sensible, but can scorch the track when needed.

Will keep you guys updated.

cheers,
ac
Old 26th May 2009, 01:46   #45
BHPian

there must be serious bakras in bangalore for people like anthony , vinod motors etc to quote anything around 1lac or above for a FULL STOCK RD SAAR !!

that or they are running gold plated exhausts , delta box frames , alloy wheels , GP spec pipes and out of this world porting with forged pistons , close ratio GB and aluminium crank . But my guess is they arnt . LOL.

Not that the mechs are bad , this is their business .

but seriously RDs esp in blore are overhyped . The utility of buying an RD since the time it was launched was picking up a second hand bike that was made by Rajdoot , one that most first time buyers wanted to get rid off because of the horrible milage and their inability to set timing etc !

So college students would pick up RDs for like 10k and 5k which were 3 months , 6 months or a year or 2 old . and blast past everybody on the road as long as they could foot the fuel and maintainance bills . I know of people who have sold their RXs and picked up 2 RDs for the same amount ! Imagine what those fellas will say when they hear prices of 1 lac and more ! Not that im saying the bike is not worth it . Its just that I dont think this was ever the utility of the RD . The utility of the RD was a cheap bike which was a huge market failure but was really fast compared to the rest and sounded like a dream . The negative points were and still are parts , milage , maintainance . So whats changed ? The asking price is the only thing thats changed .

today that utility is lost with people asking for 60k + for an RD . dont forget the economy has inflated , fuel is alot more expensive , mechs charge alot more , parts have almost dried up and u have to pay premium for fake or recycled parts !! thats if u find them within ur budget and there is no cap on the max price people / dealers will charge u . The only deciding factor is the how big the bakra cap is on ur head .

i say if ur soooo passionate about owning an RD and god knows alot of us are or have been , wait , stake it out , find the right RD . one within ur budget , the one that u really want , the right colour , the right amout of original parts on it , the kind of engine , the owner , the papers , the state of tune etc .

Till then if u want a buzzy 2 stroke fix ( if thats ur trip ) get a ported RX and keep messing around . The things u can do with an RX while still keeping ur pocket intact are amazing , but yes it is an outdated bike esp with regards to cycle parts esp brakes but i guess that can be corrected with a pulsar / gladiator / fz / r15 /rtr front end .

OR

get an RTR or better still an R15. i havnt riden a comet ever but ive heard good things about it . If u find one in good nick , with good access to service and genuine parts go for it . If not stick with our domestic stuff RTRs , pulsars and zmas arnt that bad . If all ur looking for is a acceleration and speed , the cheapest fix that u can get is on a ported RX .

till then stake it out till u find an RD that u think can be urs .

ps: im just curious but what kind of a rider are u ? commuter , occasional ripper , total loco mofo ? what kind of motorcycles are u into ? are u a 2 stroke nut or is that irrelevant to u as long as it does its job ? how many miles have got under ur belt and what kinda wheels have u owned or own ? I think this will help decide if the RD is really a bike for u . Its not a bike for everyone . yes anybody can buy one if they have the money and park it in their basement . but to actually nurture an RD , keep it running , ride it like a maniac but still take care of it like a baby , tolerate all the tantrums that come with a 20 odd year old bike that has probably seen the worst of mechs and owners in her life time . well its a special bike but u need to be even more special to really enjoy ur RD experience , that along with a big fat pay cheque .

sorry for the long post but just been reading this topic for a few days . I think its very difficult for us to decide if u really need an RD or a comet . We can only give reports as owners and users but the end decision is urs . I think uve got a fair idea of maintainance , usability etc of both bikes . So the end decision is ur . It ur money and its gonna be ur baby at the end of the day .

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 26th May 2009 at 01:58.

Most Viewed