Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 11:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Yamaha RD350 or Kinetic Hyosung Comet 250

Hi,

I have an option of buyin the RD or a COMET. I am sure of both the bikes being really good in their own right.

but i just wated you guys pov on the following

1) Will the resale of the comet come down or will go up ?

2) how easy is it to tell both the bikes off (comparatively) at a decent price.

cheers,
ac
Old 13th May 2009, 12:07   #2
BANNED

Comet.

Having gone through the trouble of owning and maintaining an RD(still have it) and for 9 months a Comet(friend's who works on a ship). I can tell you the Comet is much much easy to live with. That was the practical me talking.

RD.

Its worth all the trouble. But you need deep pockets, a lot of patience and most importantly a level of insanity. Of all the bikes i have owned the RD has given the most trouble, from literally crying looking at a busted crank to shivering feet everytime its heart missed a beat, have lived through it all. But its still worth it.

To answer your questions:

1) Will the resale of the comet come down or will go up ?
[Spitfire]: Will crash ones the twins start rolling from Kawasaki and Yamaha. Problem is no one knows when the bikes will be out with recession pushing the launches even further.

[Spitfire]: I think you meant sell. The Comet will be more easy to sell then the RD. Simply because no one knows how much a RD is worth. The Comet prices atleast have a semblance of consistency.

Problem with the RD is the amount spent on maintaining one will never be recovered when you want to sell it.

Last edited by Spitfire : 13th May 2009 at 12:12.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Comet.

[Spitfire]: I think you meant sell. The Comet will be more easy to sell then the RD. Simply because no one knows how much a RD is worth. The Comet prices atleast have a semblance of consistency.

Problem with the RD is the amount spent on maintaining one will never be recovered when you want to sell it.
I think you have mentioned it spot on. THanks for it bro. Will keep you posted on what the developments are.

cheers,
ac
Old 13th May 2009, 12:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

RD all the way!

I second whatever Sptifire had to say about the RD. Its a troublemaker, and will make you cry with maintainence hassles. But trust me. Find an empty highway one fine winter morning, and gun the throttle. The terrifying acceleration, the 2 stroke banshee scream, and the trail of blue flames that you leave behind - the resulting cocktail will make all the trouble worth it!

However, if you're concerned about practical aspects like maintainence, resale values etc, go for the Comet. Its resale value will increase only because so few were available. It will be easier on the pocket too than the RD.

But then, if practicality is what you're looking for, why are you considering these 2 bikes?
Old 13th May 2009, 12:37   #5
BANNED

An RD if you can or any other bike will do.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you get a well maintained RD then
Old 13th May 2009, 12:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you get a well maintained RD (High hopes) then go for it! Else anything that pleases you.
Old 13th May 2009, 13:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
I second whatever Sptifire had to say about the RD. Its a troublemaker, and will make you cry with maintainence hassles. But trust me. Find an empty highway one fine winter morning, and gun the throttle. The terrifying acceleration, the 2 stroke banshee scream, and the trail of blue flames that you leave behind - the resulting cocktail will make all the trouble worth it!

However, if you're concerned about practical aspects like maintainence, resale values etc, go for the Comet. Its resale value will increase only because so few were available. It will be easier on the pocket too than the RD.

But then, if practicality is what you're looking for, why are you considering these 2 bikes?
practicaliy is not my concern, my concern two folded as i mentioned.

1) will i get a good resale (whenever i sell it)

2) which of both the bikes is easier to sell.

cheers,
ac
Old 13th May 2009, 14:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

i would say rd engine on comet chassis

A good RD price will always shoot up , but comet will remain stable for max 2 years.

But you need to stock parts for both the bikes as they are getting exhausted very very fast !!
Old 13th May 2009, 14:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the Comet. New school, more refined, easier to maintain, less chance of a breakdown. Answers inline.

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
practicaliy is not my concern, my concern two folded as i mentioned.

1) will i get a good resale (whenever i sell it) - If you maintain a RD very very well (dont even think about how much you would be pumping in to keep it pristine). It could even sell for 100k. After about 1-2 years if the Kwacker is out at a decent rate the price of used comets will fall to about 90-100k.

2) which of both the bikes is easier to sell. - I would say RD, because its a RD. Comet end of the day is a Korean. More people looking to buy a RD rather than a Comet

cheers,
ac
Old 13th May 2009, 15:06   #11
BHPian

There is nothing called a well maintained RD. That is a pure myth. 2 strokers are fun if you have the patience and money to keep them running. Comet is a new age refined machine that is only a few notches less than the Ninja 250.
Old 13th May 2009, 15:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
There is nothing called a well maintained RD. That is a pure myth. 2 strokers are fun if you have the patience and money to keep them running. Comet is a new age refined machine that is only a few notches less than the Ninja 250.

there are very nice mainatined RDs i have seen , still running on Original ART pistons with unsleeved barrels.

But as you said 2 stroke bike needs affection & money if you don't have any better stick to 4 stroke bikes .

But Comet does look quite Bling but somehow engine ain't that peppy !!
Old 13th May 2009, 16:33   #13
BHPian

my INR 0.02:

if you need to ask this question, then it's better you stick to the comet. i don't own an RD but i have a fair idea (from friends and relatives) that nowadays to maintain it properly, you need to be passionate about the RD which you clearly are not if you compare it to a comet (apples and oranges).
Old 13th May 2009, 17:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
my INR 0.02:

if you need to ask this question, then it's better you stick to the comet. i don't own an RD but i have a fair idea (from friends and relatives) that nowadays to maintain it properly, you need to be passionate about the RD which you clearly are not if you compare it to a comet (apples and oranges).
Kindly read my post properly, I have not compared the two, I have a choice of buying either of the vehcile and my concerns were only two folds which are mentioned.

There is no mention about being more / less / under / over passionate for either of the vehicles.

Also if you read I have mentioned both the vechiles are good in their own right.

cheers,
ac
Old 13th May 2009, 18:20   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Kindly read my post properly, I have not compared the two, I have a choice of buying either of the vehcile and my concerns were only two folds which are mentioned.

There is no mention about being more / less / under / over passionate for either of the vehicles.

Also if you read I have mentioned both the vechiles are good in their own right.

cheers,
ac
didn't mean to be abrasive but i think every RD owner/fan will tell you that you wanting to choose between them is easily a comparison of the apples and oranges kind for lots of reasons.

given all the problems with owning an RD, you should buy one only if you know its the only bike you would like to have. else the safer (relatively) route would be the newer comet. again it's your call at the end of the day. so whatever you choose, best of luck - especially for the RD search.

Last edited by silver_shadow : 13th May 2009 at 18:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks