Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2009, 12:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

The bike specs look good and if the claims of it being the fastest Indian bike beating the R15 are true, then it's an achievement in itself.

But, I would have liked it more, if TVS had made it look different from the RTR 160. At least an half fairing like the ZMA or the Honda Stunner would've been nice.
Old 21st May 2009, 13:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend rode one when it was at a service center for training. He says the bike is really good. It apparently had longer wheelbase & sports a 17 inch wheel at back.

With the new 180 also on sale we need to see which bike is better

p.s. need to check what all goodies can I transfer from the 180 to my 160
Old 21st May 2009, 13:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Is there any change in the dimensions of the bike? I am 6' 2" and find RTR short.

The bike is attractive now with the great handling and extra power.

I hope that the refinement is better in the new one.

I like the looks of RTR. It looks great in white.
Old 21st May 2009, 14:15   #19
Team-BHP Support

<Yawn!>
How is this supposed to better the P180? Also, what exactly is so ground breaking about this offerring?

Personally, i feel TVS is also getting into stale mode with regards to the design on the Apache like Bajaj with the Pulsar.
Old 21st May 2009, 14:27   #20
BHPian

It happens only in indya!

While people here are asking for a higher capacity bike and there are people who are asking them not to ask as India does not have a market, the business sensibility for a mass machine and an enthusiast's machine are different. A bigger cc will obviously sell lesser numbers but would break even and even make a margin with lower volume because of pricing.

All over the world, bikes tend to be categorized on the basis of their engine displacement. The number of categories are few, and competition is fierce as each model is trying to out-do a lot of others in a particular segment. In India, we have 50, 80, 100, 115, 125, 150, 160, 180, 200, 220, 225, 250, 350, 500, 535. Am I to believe we cannot engineer anything apart from re-bores to attract customers.

TVS has made commendible headway in technology over the last decade and the RTR is definitely one of the sweetest performing bikes in India. But rather than having a million variants within a span of 50cc (which when you break down to pi x r square x h, translates to little over a millimetre in bore and a millimetre and half in stroke) , why couldn't they possibly engineer a better drive train. The same 160cc could give much better output if you remove transmission losses, change fuel intake system, develop a better exhaust, improve valve synchronization.

We have someone in this forum who has been bold enough to make a 1000cc bike. A zen engine on a bullet chassis. I found his work fantastic. While in college I was part of a team that developed a formula race car for SAE, and I know what kind of effort such indigenous engineering takes. He would someday get picked up by an automobile company, and then set to work on sleeving engines for 10cc. For a country that churns out engineers by the dozen, such lack of original thought is deplorable.

The RTR 180 looks good in white. the 30mm swing-arm extension and 17 inch rear rubber promises more stability, and I suggest buyers of this to please invest in good protective gear. With 17 PS on tap and with the enhanced stability, you guys are bound to be throwing her around the corners.

For my part, at 6'2'', I shall watch you guys having fun from my Enfield. Overtake me and make me smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
You might wanna start with the engine
Old 21st May 2009, 15:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Im disappointed..180cc needs a better beefed up appreance with good fairing bigger headlight visor.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Im disappointed..180cc needs a better beefed up appreance with good fairing bigger headlight visor.
what? and kill the little performance upgrade by increasing the bike weight???

Quote:
While people here are asking for a higher capacity bike and there are people who are asking them not to ask as India does not have a market, the business sensibility for a mass machine and an enthusiast's machine are different. A bigger cc will obviously sell lesser numbers but would break even and even make a margin with lower volume because of pricing.
dude there are guys here talking about a 400cc v2 for 1 lakh! with people like that you are surely kidding me that any manufacturer will break even soon enough. as it is a 250 v2 is probably more likely to cost over 1.5 lakhs and i seriously doubt a huge margin on it. furthermore most here will NEVER put down that kind of money for a bike after crying themselves hoarse over performance. that leaves in less sales for a 250+.

my advice to all those crying performance - pick up an old 2 stroke, port and chamber it and enjoy performance for a fraction of the cost you claim you will spend on a *performance* bike from the showroom.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:52   #23

ok finally somebody speaking some sense. guys how many of us actually would spend the kind of money the bikes would cost?

most enthusiasts pick up second hand RD's today at twice what the original cost was the rd 350 when introduced was a failure (and i am not talking rocket science) also the 650 bmw with the rotax engine did not sell wonder how many R1's yamaha plans to sell well also wonder where and how the guys who buy them plan to ride with state of our roads.

we all want 25/30 bhp 400 cc engines and want them cheaper than the present commuter bikes being sold.

when a guy asks for any particular amount for a second hand superbike or mid segment import read the comments buyers make offering 50-60% of the asking price.

i dont think the companies are going to introduce any bigger or more powerful bikes in the near future.
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

The bike market in India is limited to 1 lakh max even though there have been bikes costing more. Event above 80K the bike sales start waning. It's a classic example of why Bajaj and TVS bring small updrades. The word is economies of scale.

We as Indians should be happy that We get some of the best engineered 200cc bikes in India.

Apache 180 is just another example. Next up should be a monoshock and I will put my money down.
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
One of my friend rode one when it was at a service center for training. He says the bike is really good. It apparently had longer wheelbase & sports a 17 inch wheel at back.

With the new 180 also on sale we need to see which bike is better

The wheelbase is longer by 40 mm compared to RTR 160, and i just love the desgin of the sports bike styled rear mudguard.
Old 15th June 2009, 16:06   #26

Hello, TVS launched the Apache RTR 180cc Today In Delhi For Rs 63990 (Ex-showroom Delhi). For More Information See The Following Link.

http://burnyourfuel.com/2009/06/15/b...oday-in-delhi/

With Regards,

Adalanthae

Most Viewed