Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2009, 13:52   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I think we are deviating from the topic here.

As far as designs are concerned there are always certain design patterns when it comes to a particular type of vehicle (be it cars, Bikes, SUVs, MUVs etc)

So most of the street sports bike in early 2000 & late 90s looked quite the same. They say all naked street sports bikes look like Ducati Monster.

Similar most of cruisers end up looking similar & ditto for others types. Its only recently that the designs have gone radical.

I remember a few years back most of us could not distinguish between different SBKs all that differentiated them was their Badge (Honda Suzuki etc).

What Chinese did was that they did an exact replica including a poor copy of the name.

Hey,

I typed this down and tried posting it earlier, but it somehow couldn't get it to work.

I totally agree with you that alot of designs are 'inspired' by other more successful and models, but that is all they're only 'inspired'.

With the Pulsar and the Hornet it's quite another story. It looks as if these guys took a mould of the Hornet, scaled it down to 65% it's original size and used it on their bike. It's really sad and aweful that it was done, but that's how it is. I really couldn't believe my eyes when I saw an old Hornet in the flesh. Every crease, every cut, the lights, the mirrors, all the proportions, everything!

I do wish they'd gone to the trouble of doing the same with the engine as well. That would've been one heck of a 'pocket-rocket'. It somehow wouldn't have felt like sucj a let-down then.
Old 1st June 2009, 16:05   #17
BHPian

The Gulsar (China) is a rip-off of Pulsar!!! The Chinese have copied a copy of a copy it seems
Old 1st June 2009, 17:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_DoN View Post
The Gulsar (China) is a rip-off of Pulsar!!! The Chinese have copied a copy of a copy it seems
When you come to think of it, it is very lame isn't it? I wonder why they don't come up with their own designs, is it really that difficult?

If they're intent on copying the essentials, it's understandable, but they can change the rest of it atleast. And the name God! It's so stupid.
Old 1st June 2009, 19:14   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
When you come to think of it, it is very lame isn't it? I wonder why they don't come up with their own designs, is it really that difficult?

If they're intent on copying the essentials, it's understandable, but they can change the rest of it atleast. And the name God! It's so stupid.
Coming up with new designs may not be that difficult; BUT copying is really easy.. So why not do something that is already been done successfully... And there is just one country where you can do it !!!
Old 1st June 2009, 23:57   #20
BHPian

Coming to think of it, I always thought that the Pulsars were inspired by Cagiva Raptor duo. For those who don't know about Cagiva, it was an italian marquee which made some fantastic performance bikes until everyone else came out with their naked bikes. It was also owner of Ducati in early 80's and were so until late 90's. So that says how Monster came a lot later in picture after Ducati being sold to another company. More on that, go to the link below

Cagiva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 2nd June 2009, 00:51   #21
BHPian

72 bullet-i totally agree with you regarding the nano's design,that its a scaled down version of the zen estillo.
Old 2nd June 2009, 01:41   #22
BHPian

Bajaj copied their logo from VW..enough said
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:29   #23
BHPian

I found this yesterday:

Auto Industry's Top Chinese Knockoffs - Motor Trend The General Forum Forum

Really funny! My favorite is the Hongqi!

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd June 2009 at 16:15. Reason: removed Font tag
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
I found this yesterday:

[FONT=&quot]Auto Industry's Top Chinese Knockoffs - Motor Trend The General Forum Forum[/FONT]

Really funny! My favorite is the Hongqi!
Har Har Har Hongqi!
One of the comments: Who you callin' a Hongqi, buddy?!
People around me are having serious doubts about my mental condition.
They can only see me laughing at a screen.
But seriously, the hongqi looks better than the RR. Or is it
the photography?
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:36   #25
BHPian

It's really sad, how people blatantly just copy designs. Upsetting.
Old 3rd June 2009, 01:41   #26
BANNED

Well, I think most of them get the points wrong . Major automobile companies commission developement companies to create products for them .

Companies like italdesign , AVL , Ricardo design on contract basis for amny companies and since the designers are same , most of the products end up looking the same , even thought the intention was not that .

For example the palio and Indica are from the same design firm , but again I think Fiat plays an active part in the developement of its cars . But , companies in India do not have the time , resources, to fine tune a product . The product is launched as soon as the initial round of testing over with minor refinements .
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:11   #27
BANNED

Look at it this way. I would get flatterred if someone copied my design and mass produced it. My design is that good.
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:04   #28
BHPian

@ Spitfire - That's a nice way to put it. Depends on how the designer looks at it though. I'd look upon it as a breach of intellectual copyright. I'd be ,ore than happy if they paid me a royalty for every vehicle produced.

@ greatmana2000 - I agree with you, every design house/designer should have a signature style of designing vehicles. This does not mean that they should all look the same though. No designer with any sense would do that, if you notice, most of the knock-offs are straight copies, and obviously don't use the same design houses to develop their products. What the Chinese do is totally crazy, and India should know better. Infact there has been some good R & D here, and that's the way we should head.

I don't agree with your statement that companies don't have the time and resources. Indian manufacturers have alot of resources (both economic and human). I think it's more a lack of creativity and interest in the management. Indian companies can surely afford to invest in developing designs, and with the enormous no. of engineers and designers here in India (that too at a very low cost), it should not be a problem at all. Every tom, dick and harry is willing to submit designs for all those design competitions (remember the 'design a scorpio'? some of the designs were pretty original and good).
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
Bajaj copied their logo from VW..enough said
Actually its more close to the Bluetooth logo
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Why doesn't someone copy a Ferrari & price it at 10L here ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks